Forwards

plymouthranger

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Still at a loss why we didn’t/don’t bring in a natural right sided forward instead of playing a different player out of position there every week.

Morelos link up play was decent second half and as for Kent - a complete passenger for the past month.

I think we needed to shift one out to allow it to happen. Jones i reckon but it didn't happen so we are stuck with what we have 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some folks are never happy. ☹️☹️☹️

I will take today's result every game to the end of the season. FFS we are playing European matches midweek.

😀🇬🇧😀🔴🔵🍻😀🍻🔴🔵😀🇬🇧😀

12 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

I think we needed to shift one out to allow it to happen. Jones i reckon but it didn't happen so we are stuck with what we have 

Which is fair enough but constantly playing a different player there looks like it’s affecting the fluidity of team in forward areas.

26 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Which is fair enough but constantly playing a different player there looks like it’s affecting the fluidity of team in forward areas.

Aye I can understand utilising the squad but we need a bit of consistency as well. Bar a few good saves that would have been a much easier match today and we probably wouldn't be focusing as much on this sort of thing.

That said I'd much rather be top of the league unbeaten looking for the way to settle on our best line up than in their shoes.

2 hours ago, Davidorrp said:

I actually disagree on chances, very few seem clear cut to me, rarely do our forwards get a wee slide rule pass to them in space etc or any cuts backs in space either. More like half chances we get. Also Morelos and Itten were out wide quite a bit today when we really need them to be in box.  Hopefully Kent can hit some form and if we get Aribo back up to speed, think they both could improve  supply to actual forwards. 

Good post mate........ think our front players will improve as the season goes on.

We were not at our best today I think Morelos and Kents work rate was good but they are going through a bad patch just now, Itten did well I thought.

As a team we did a professional job today with a few scares near the end

58 minutes ago, Smile said:

We were not at our best today I think Morelos and Kents work rate was good but they are going through a bad patch just now, Itten did well I thought.

As a team we did a professional job today with a few scares near the end

Couldn't agree more

1 hour ago, Dan Deacon said:

Aye I can understand utilising the squad but we need a bit of consistency as well. Bar a few good saves that would have been a much easier match today and we probably wouldn't be focusing as much on this sort of thing.

That said I'd much rather be top of the league unbeaten looking for the way to settle on our best line up than in their shoes.

"bar a few good saves that would have been a much easier match" you mental

Killie had 8 shots, 4 on target, we had 20 and 4 on target, and one of ours was the penalty

We badly need to be more ruthless, cant be relying on clean sheets everyweek, all it takes is a 30 yard rocket or a bundled corner and were chasing the win, 

Its great the backline and keeper are solid, but by fuck we need goals

I also dont think we set up right today given the weather, too narrow and relying on crosses, id have preferred to see the back 4 staying as a back 4 and having 2 wider players dragging men out from the middle

Today kent and aribo were coming inside a lot, yeah it left tav and barisic a lot of space for 1v1 but crossing in that weather on that pitch is a lottery, we should have 2 men wide (one is the fullback obviously) which forces killie to have 2 men wide either side, allows space in the middle for guys like arfield to exploit, 

A 4141 today with 2 central number tens linking with the striker might have brought us more clear cut chances 

But a win is a win, so essentially the tactics etc were right, 

Not killing off teams has been a worry for a few years and has not gone away.  We're being caught out less but it's still happening - hivs.  Doesn't make for comfortable last 15 minutes when any team will have a go.

7 hours ago, Davidorrp said:

I actually disagree on chances, very few seem clear cut to me, rarely do our forwards get a wee slide rule pass to them in space etc or any cuts backs in space either. More like half chances we get. Also Morelos and Itten were out wide quite a bit today when we really need them to be in box.  Hopefully Kent can hit some form and if we get Aribo back up to speed, think they both could improve  supply to actual forwards. 

Spot on. We are a bit too predictable. Pass out to Tav or Barisic and cross it in.

Would like to see a bit more quick cut backs into the centre. Midfielders going beyond strikers, playing give and goes or creating space on the edge of the box for shots.

if we can do these other bits better then opposition teams won’t just be able to double up on the full backs and hoof headers away all day.

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

"bar a few good saves that would have been a much easier match" you mental

Killie had 8 shots, 4 on target, we had 20 and 4 on target, and one of ours was the penalty

We badly need to be more ruthless, cant be relying on clean sheets everyweek, all it takes is a 30 yard rocket or a bundled corner and were chasing the win, 

Its great the backline and keeper are solid, but by fuck we need goals

Appreciate your stats there but their keeper definitely worked harder than ours. The only save of note for mcgregor was the fk.

Think we over rely on getting the ball wide for crosses into the box in open play against teams who pack their box.One against five defenders is not good odds. For our forwards to produce we need the build up to be very much quicker, the forward runs are good but they end up aborted in most cases. The change in tactics to the longer ball in the second half gave the opposition more possession and made the game more stressful than it should have been.

6 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

Think we over rely on getting the ball wide for crosses into the box in open play against teams who pack their box.One against five defenders is not good odds. For our forwards to produce we need the build up to be very much quicker, the forward runs are good but they end up aborted in most cases. The change in tactics to the longer ball in the second half gave the opposition more possession and made the game more stressful than it should have been.

That's definitely our tactics. We had 15 crosses from open play within 1st 35 mins today iirc.

Obviously our return rate was pish but against a team like that who sets 2 lines of 4 what other option do we have?

7 hours ago, will2203 said:

Some folks are never happy. ☹️☹️☹️

I will take today's result every game to the end of the season. FFS we are playing European matches midweek.

😀🇬🇧😀🔴🔵🍻😀🍻🔴🔵😀🇬🇧😀

I said I'd be happy to win. We did. So I am.

Who is next team to not score against us?

More clean sheets than the NHS.

6 hours ago, Dan Deacon said:

That's definitely our tactics. We had 15 crosses from open play within 1st 35 mins today iirc.

Obviously our return rate was pish but against a team like that who sets 2 lines of 4 what other option do we have?

You need to drag the players about, create spaces for midfield runners etc, 

The amount of times barisic and tav had the ball wide, 1v1 and space in behind the fullback, you need guys like kent etc to go into that space, if they dont get picked up its a wee knock down the line to them, if they do get picked up its another killie player dragged out from the middle freeing up a bit of space

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You need to drag the players about, create spaces for midfield runners etc, 

The amount of times barisic and tav had the ball wide, 1v1 and space in behind the fullback, you need guys like kent etc to go into that space, if they dont get picked up its a wee knock down the line to them, if they do get picked up its another killie player dragged out from the middle freeing up a bit of space

Our wide players come in, our full backs are the ones who take up the space you're talking about. That's our style and to want something else is to go against the system that our squad are now drilled well in. Successfully, so far by and large.

The tactic of playing Itten off their small right back also isn't a bad one. We just happened to execute balls to him awfully.

The quality of our balls was the issue yesterday, both up to Itten and crosses in general. It was even highlighted on sportscene.

The system worked, and with more quality crossing and finishing (several very good chances) we'd have made it far more comfortable.

11 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Our wide players come in, our full backs are the ones who take up the space you're talking about. That's our style and to want something else is to go against the system that our squad are now drilled well in. Successfully, so far by and large.

The tactic of playing Itten off their small right back also isn't a bad one. We just happened to execute balls to him awfully.

The quality of our balls was the issue yesterday, both up to Itten and crosses in general. It was even highlighted on sportscene.

The system worked, and with more quality crossing and finishing (several very good chances) we'd have made it far more comfortable.

Reminded me of Walter sticking Jig at LM and playing those long cross balls knowing he'd isolate their fullbacks and win the majority of them

Archived