Gaming TV's

The Godfather

We all know the talk of decent spec Tvs for the next gen consoles and the potential (not anytime soon) of utitising hdmi 2.1.

I will be going for a decent spec QLED I think which will be around the 800 mark for 55''.

Post any deals in here for Tvs you will be looking at

Still not taken the plunge mate. Had thought this was my best bet for PS5:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-oled55cx6la-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10205970-pdt.html

Worried about OLED screen burn though. Not managed to do anything for myself this whole year really so I was going to treat myself to something substantial like this, but even still I’m holding back thinking it’s overkill.

I would be interested in this aswell. I bought a Samsung 55 inch 3d all singing all dancing tv about 7 year ago for £ 2,500.00 never again. At the time in  life i was doing well so money wasn't a issue but stung a belter. 3d, gtf, stupid motion sensor with your hands gtf. The telly is still cracking now but lesson learned buying any technologies 1st of no chance. 

6 hours ago, The Godfather said:

We all know the talk of decent spec Tvs for the next gen consoles and the potential (not anytime soon) of utitising hdmi 2.1.

I will be going for a decent spec QLED I think which will be around the 800 mark for 55''.

Post any deals in here for Tvs you will be looking at

A mate just bought this 55” LG OLED with 2.1 (120Hz) for £1400. Apparently that’s the dugs. I’m sticking to 4k60 for another year but have a 144Hz 1080p monitor for shooting games. Will switch between the two depending on what I’m playing if I want resolution and HDR or framerate. I think the one in the video is basically the same but 48”. *Edit - just noticed @Marky. posted this one aswell:lol:35D0C2D7-6A9A-4D95-8699-E35414DBFCA6.thumb.jpeg.d81f086975f372b06f2e1c7cbe7005aa.jpeg

Are we better waiting til more TVs start coming with HDMI 2.1 at a more affordable price as opposed to just buying something quite extortionate to get the tech early?

I’ve not booked any time off from work for months. Taken 6 and a half days since March so I was going to treat myself to time off, new telly and PS5 at the same time, but I’ve not taken the plunge on that LG yet because I still feel clueless. Been wanting to sit down and learn about what’s needed for ages, but maybe the best bet is to wait and see what comes of the release of the console and subsequently what’s in the pipeline TV-wise next year.

7 hours ago, Marky. said:

Are we better waiting til more TVs start coming with HDMI 2.1 at a more affordable price as opposed to just buying something quite extortionate to get the tech early?

I’d say aye because a lot of games won’t reach 4k 120 fps but the proof will be in the tests when all the ‘optimised’ games start coming out in a few months. Looks to me as if they’re properly just mastering 4k60.  
But each to their own, if you have the money kinda-thing and work isn’t affected.

22 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I’d say aye because a lot of games won’t reach 4k 120 fps but the proof will be in the tests when all the ‘optimised’ games start coming out in a few months. Looks to me as if they’re properly just mastering 4k60.  
But each to their own, if you have the money kinda-thing. I was working in IT sales and Covid affected work so absolutely not shelling out a month salary after tax on a good telly. 

Sure, appreciate that mate. I haven't even got a PS5 pre-ordered so probably won't get the TV anyway. I just know as soon as they start releasing the bundles around Christmas I will end up taking the bait. I'll be a bit disappointed getting one and plugging it into the old trusty 09 LG though. Like I say, I'm clueless on all the technical aspects, but now we know what the next gen consoles are aiming/claiming to achieve, TVs will need to follow-suit to ensure they can meet the demands.

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

Sure, appreciate that mate. I haven't even got a PS5 pre-ordered so probably won't get the TV anyway. I just know as soon as they start releasing the bundles around Christmas I will end up taking the bait. I'll be a bit disappointed getting one and plugging it into the old trusty 09 LG though. Like I say, I'm clueless on all the technical aspects, but now we know what the next gen consoles are aiming/claiming to achieve, TVs will need to follow-suit to ensure they can meet the demands.

Bought a TCL in 2018. Low input lag, 4k HDR. No reason to believe this still won’t be good for new consoles unless they can surpass 4k60. The model numbers have slightly changed. For the value these are great. £300 now

I think smarter people than me have said 2.1 hdmi won't utilise 90 odd percent of games for the foreseeable future on these consoles. 

I couldn't and wouldn't spend over a grand on a telly tbh, just couldn't justify it. 700 odd is about the limit. 

Like everything though we all want to have the latest tech. I probably wouldn't even notice the difference tbh

I’ll admit I don’t know too much about tv specs but have been considering getting a 4K one to go with the PS5 and noticed this one on Currys’ Black Friday deals.

Does this one look decent?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-49nano816na-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10205965-pdt.html

59 minutes ago, The Monk said:

I’ll admit I don’t know too much about tv specs but have been considering getting a 4K one to go with the PS5 and noticed this one on Currys’ Black Friday deals.

Does this one look decent?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-49nano816na-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10205965-pdt.html

That'll do fine, LG and Samsung are the best brands to go for from experience. 

On 10/11/2020 at 08:34, ChampionsAgain said:

I’ve got a 4K gaming monitor and it was easily the best decisions I’ve made. 

Couldn’t believe how much it improved my performance compared to the 55inch tv. 

What one you got?

I've already got a 4k tv downstairs but want a decent monitor for 'work' and also for gaming so been looking around but will likely hang off to black Friday as it is.

1 hour ago, TheBluebells said:

What one you got?

I've already got a 4k tv downstairs but want a decent monitor for 'work' and also for gaming so been looking around but will likely hang off to black Friday as it is.

LG UltraGear 27UL500-W. Got it for about £200. 

Best investment I’ve made, went through getting bigger and bigger TVs for gaming through my life. Wish I’d known earlier about the monitors. 

6 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

LG UltraGear 27UL500-W. Got it for about £200. 

Best investment I’ve made, went through getting bigger and bigger TVs for gaming through my life. Wish I’d known earlier about the monitors. 

That looks really good for the price.

I wasn't sure whether or not to get a 144hz monitor or 4k as both can be really pricey, that one is tempting though.

I wonder if they'll be any compatibility issues with the PS5 and tvs. 

I bought a nice big Panasonic TV just before I bought the PS4 and I was pissed off at there being some kind of problem with the TV detecting the PS4 through the HDMI.

I'd put the TV to the correct input and... nothing, then a flash and you'd see the PS4 screen. It would then flash intermittently. Tried changing out cables etc, nothing worked.

I found out that this was a known issue with some TVs and the only workaround was to install a little HDMI hub into the TV, the TV would instead keep detecting this and let the PS4 signal through continiously.

Not meaning to be patronising or anything, but I'd advise to look your TV model up on the internet that you're proposing to buy along with whatever console you're wanting or have along with compatibility issues.

Might save you a wee bit of annoyance.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:08, TheBluebells said:

wasn't sure whether or not to get a 144hz monitor or 4k as both can be really pricey, that one is tempting though.

1440p 144Hz (1ms) is possibly the sweet spot getting you best of both worlds so you could fire on 120Hz mode and still have 2k resolution.

To get 4k 144Hz as you said you’re adding on another couple hundred quid and losing frames to resolution. I’ve went BENQ 144Hz

6 minutes ago, CR3 said:

1440p 144Hz (1ms) is possibly the sweet spot getting you best of both worlds so you could fire on 120Hz mode and still have 2k resolution.

To get 4k 144Hz as you said you’re adding on another couple hundred quid. I’ve went BENQ 144Hz

That's probably what I'll go for, if I fancy 4k I've got the big tv downstairs for when I want to use it.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Funnily enough a lot of gamers have said playing fps that smaller tvs make it easier to aim, dunno how that works, cursor moving time or something maybe

I wouldn't say it's easier to aim as such.

I've always found smaller screens better for shooters cause you can see the whole screen, without having to move your eyes around.

You wouldn't think so given its a matter for milliseconds... but it can make all the difference for reaction times. Everything is just in sight.

especially if the game is one where looking at the hud is important.. mini map, cooldowns etc. 

I literally cannot play something like R6 Siege on a screen bigger than 32"