Gaming TV's

The Godfather

27 minutes ago, Iakona said:

I wouldn't say it's easier to aim as such.

I've always found smaller screens better for shooters cause you can see the whole screen, without having to move your eyes around.

You wouldn't think so given its a matter for milliseconds... but it can make all the difference for reaction times. Everything is just in sight.

especially if the game is one where looking at the hud is important.. mini map, cooldowns etc. 

I literally cannot play something like R6 Siege on a screen bigger than 32"

Thats what I was kind of thinking. I play mostly on a 36 inch TV in the kitchen and when I've played on the 55 inch in the living room it seems different somehow. 

Got an LG OLED 55" BX the other day, got all the necessary stuff (4K, HDR, HDMI 2.1 etc)

In a love/hate situation with it atm and it's probably not the TV's fault. If I go onto youtube and watch a 4K HDR 60fps video then it looks sensational. However, I don't know if it's just bad at poorer quality stuff or if it just makes you hyper aware of it when you drop down but watching normal TV shows and all of a sudden it just feels super jittery in the lower frame rates. Like I said it's probably playing it totally normally but seeing the high spec suddenly makes it super obvious when it isn't that anymore and feels 10x worse because of it. You can use the motion smoothing settings to fix this where it adds extra frames but this then creates fuzzy bits where there's a lot of motion. A balancing act in the settings I haven't mastered yet. Also finding a lot of problems with football, I use Sky Go on PS4 for it which isn't great quality, and the motion settings are awful with the football's motion so it's better to turn it off/very low for this. 

My first time with one of these TVs and one hand I love the sky high potential of it but on the other hand it's almost ruined normal TV watching for me. But once you get your different picture pre-sets (Cinema, Sports, Game) edited to suit then it's manageable. But still finding the motion/frames aspect difficult to adapt to. 

Seen the 8k Tvs when looking into TVs, those mental Chinese shelling out best part of 10 grand on them seems utter madness. 

I suppose in reality it doesn't matter what you get they are always going to bring out better spec constantly which consoles, Sky ect won't have the content for in the next few years. 

I use Iptv mainly and the picture quality for the football which is what I mainly watch isn't always great, the grass always makes the picture go in and out of focus. Streaming from amazon and Netflix is where it will look best and eventually when I get the PS5. 

18 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Seen the 8k Tvs when looking into TVs, those mental Chinese shelling out best part of 10 grand on them seems utter madness. 

I suppose in reality it doesn't matter what you get they are always going to bring out better spec constantly which consoles, Sky ect won't have the content for in the next few years. 

I use Iptv mainly and the picture quality for the football which is what I mainly watch isn't always great, the grass always makes the picture go in and out of focus. Streaming from amazon and Netflix is where it will look best and eventually when I get the PS5. 

I don’t know why but I’m also not finding the 4K on streaming services to be particularly great, YouTube seems to be way way better. I wish they did it in the same way where you can manually see and set the video quality because honestly I’m not even convinced mine are playing in 4K at all (and I do have the UHD netflix subrscription and watching 4K available content)

20 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I don’t know why but I’m also not finding the 4K on streaming services to be particularly great, YouTube seems to be way way better. I wish they did it in the same way where you can manually see and set the video quality because honestly I’m not even convinced mine are playing in 4K at all (and I do have the UHD netflix subrscription and watching 4K available content)

Yeah I don't have much experience with true 4K so won't really be able to tell the difference yet. I would have thought on the OLEDs you would have a cracking picture on 4K. 

12 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Yeah I don't have much experience with true 4K so won't really be able to tell the difference yet. I would have thought on the OLEDs you would have a cracking picture on 4K. 

Yeah mate when it's fully firing it's sensational

12 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Does YouTube show if a video has HDR somewhere now instead of it just being in a videos title, then you’re assuming it is true HDR and not some kind of faux-HDR@Broxi

Don't think so on youtube mate but my TV switches into an HDR mode so you can tell on the TV 

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, JimmyCR1 said:

Anyone got any good deals going just now? Looking for an upgrade to 4k, 65 inch preferably for when I get the PS5.

One I got is fantastic, think it's 600 or 650. HDMI2.1 too so will do well with the new consoles. 

Only played PC on it right enough as can't get a fucking ps5 😂 

18 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

One I got is fantastic, think it's 600 or 650. HDMI2.0 too so will do well with the new consoles. 

Only played PC on it right enough as can't get a fucking ps5 😂 

I’m tempted man but trying to hold out for a OLED or ULED if they become cheaper. What is nanocell meant to be like?

4 minutes ago, JimmyCR1 said:

I’m tempted man but trying to hold out for a OLED or ULED if they become cheaper. What is nanocell meant to be like?

If you have the budget then why not. I couldn't spend that money, don't use it near enough. 

Head's up to anyone looking for a gaming TV. LG OLEDs are 10% off with a lot of retailers for this week only.

I got the LG OLED CX 55" (and free LG earphones) from Costco earlier today for £1098 which feels like a bargain. Costco now sold out of this exact model, but Richer Sounds are apparently price beating the price by £20 with a 6 year warranty rather than 5. No earphones though.

Think a 2021 release of the CX is imminent but don't think improvements will be major enough to ignore how good this deal is.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/limited-time-lg-oled-tv-deal-lowest-ever-prices-on-lg-oleds-for-one-week-only

• 4 months later...