We've won nothing yet, but...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

The reality is we’re 1 point better off than last year in the league. And only really 3 points ahead of the filth.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Won’t be counting chickens until we’re much further along. 

We need to keep focused for every minute of every game.  Benfica was a lesson in keeping going to the final whistle. 

4 hours ago, TMB said:

Last season after 18 league games we had only dropped 7 points in total.  That was a hell of a platform too.  The difference this year must be that we must carry that form on in to the second half of the season.  I’m confident we will but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  One game at a time and all that.

I think the real difference is in where the goals come from. Morelos wasn't on the park & defoe didn't score. That and we are not conceding. 

51 minutes ago, TMB said:

Well, if we manage to win our next 2 games we will have outdone last seasons performance of played 16 with a total of 7 points dropped.  From the looks of it, the goal difference is exactly the same.  Yes, we're better defensively this year, but we were better offensively last season.  Last season we beat Hearts, Aberdeen, and Hamilton 5-0.  We beat Hibs 6-1. 

Again, it all came down to the form during the second half of the season.  We must maintain this current form or everything we've done up until this point will count for nothing just like last season.  It's consistency that wins leagues.

Yeah to an extent.

But if, big if, we win our next 2 games then points, goal difference, clean sheets and most probably goals against if not goals for will all be better this time round. And that's all I'm saying, the foundation is strong. Imo defensive strength wins leagues.

Time will tell. But its not just the stats but the steel, drive and determination I see that indicates we're a far more complete and competent outfit than last season.

1 hour ago, writingranger said:

I think the real difference is in where the goals come from. Morelos wasn't on the park & defoe didn't score. That and we are not conceding. 

Was looking into this earlier. We've scored 1 less goal so far compared to last season, despite scoring 8 today.

After 14 games last season we had 37 goals, with 8 from Defenders, 5 from Midfielders and 24 from Strikers + Wingers, but 19 of those 24 where from Defoe on 10 and Morelos on 9. Ojo had 1, Barker 1, Stewart 1 and Kent 2.

After 14 games this season, we have 36 goals, 11 from Defenders, 8 from Midfielders and 17 from Strikers + Wingers. Kent has 4, Roofe 4, Morelos 3, Barker 2, Itten 2, Jones 1 and Defoe 1.

It's important that we get more goals throughout the team since that fucked us last season but we are probably needing more goals from our strikers now. Although we have had injuries to Roofe and Defoe.

11 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

The reality is we’re 1 point better off than last year in the league. And only really 3 points ahead of the filth.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Won’t be counting chickens until we’re much further along. 

True, but I think it's fair to say that they appear weaker than last year and I don't consider their two games in hand to be foregone conclusions. As it stands we're nine points clear and that puts immense pressure on them - something we failed to do last year. Think we were top once and then gifted them top spot a week or two later. Keep grinding out wins and it may well be it's them who collapse after Xmas this year.

Long way to go but we're sitting about as pretty as any of us could have hoped for just now. 

They've still got 2 games to potentially close that gap so we just need to keep doing what we're doing and building up that pressure. 

Loving how we're playing just now though, everyone looks to be playing for each other and the club. 

Gerrard has built a very good squad and a very good team. They are all extremely well drilled and very fit. It's plug and play. Everybody knows his role and we fans have no fears about either the starting XI or players coming on from the bench.

Hamilton got gubbed because they are not Benfica (who on another day would have got gubbed as well). We have recruited very well and have a team head and shoulders above anything else in Scotland. Only 1/3 of the season gone but my confidence in 55 just grows.

Yesterday we left out Morelos, Helander and Kamara - it made no difference. Pull off Borna and put on Bassey - no problem. We have strength in depth.

20 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Gerrard has built a very good squad and a very good team. They are all extremely well drilled and very fit. It's plug and play. Everybody knows his role and we fans have no fears about either the starting XI or players coming on from the bench.

Hamilton got gubbed because they are not Benfica (who on another day would have got gubbed as well). We have recruited very well and have a team head and shoulders above anything else in Scotland. Only 1/3 of the season gone but my confidence in 55 just grows.

Yesterday we left out Morelos, Helander and Kamara - it made no difference. Pull off Borna and put on Bassey - no problem. We have strength in depth.

We had over half a team of regular starters not starting yesterday. Its great strength in depth, long may it continue.

1 hour ago, Marco said:

True, but I think it's fair to say that they appear weaker than last year and I don't consider their two games in hand to be foregone conclusions. As it stands we're nine points clear and that puts immense pressure on them - something we failed to do last year. Think we were top once and then gifted them top spot a week or two later. Keep grinding out wins and it may well be it's them who collapse after Xmas this year.

They do, but aside from the OF they’ve dropped as many points as us. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Fair point. Maybe recency bias on my part, but we've won six on the bounce whilst this weekend was their first league win in three (plus they're getting battered in Europe whilst we've been superb). Meanwhile our errors in the league have come at the early part of the season where no one had a proper preseason due to COVID. And we've still got players like Roofe and especially Zungu to get up to full speed. I've still hedged my bets and put "appear" on account of the last couple of seasons, but we're in great shape as it stands.

27 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

This is it in real terms.  What separates us from them in terms of points is that Old Firm win.   It’s put us 3 points ahead only.  A fragile lead and Rangers need to keep on winning all the way until that next Old Firm game. Ideally, celtic slip up between now and then and we put one hand on the trophy with a win at Ibrox in the new year.

Archived