Interesting DM article about Gerrard

LiverpoolBlue

6 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

No it's all irrelevant apparently because Arteta won the FA cup single handedly imo.

Yeah compared to the Champions League and the Premiership chase then winning the FA cup is the most glorious prize in Engerland.

Fuck sake half the sides down south don't care about the FA cup if they are in Europe and don't give a toss about the FA cup any more as their squads need a rest with all the games they have thrown at them (and pointless pissing friendlies as well). Let no mark teams like the Arsenal win it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

I screamed no when we were linked with Gerrard before his appointment, he has gradually won me over to the point where I think he will be one of the best managers we have ever had, he will win trophies with Rangers, anyone dismissing the change in our football or the overall change in our club since he took over is a fucking idiot imo. 

Yip.

13 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

No it's not.

Liverpool played a reserve team against Everton in it, so not only their place in the cup but local pride at stake yet they played the fringe players. 

If that's not treating it with contempt then what is? Can you imagine us playing the youths V the beggars in the Scottish cup?

Local pride in the friendliest derby going :lol:

4 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Beat Man City in Semi finals and then beat Chelsea.

we got fucked out cup by Hearts.

Meh, our improvement in Europe and to see us challenging against a rival who should be light years in front is still better imo.

9 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

No-one denies any improvement but ultimately managers are judged on trophies.

Winning an undervalued trophy is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things though, if you read the article and have a decent grasp of the context you'd probably understand why the guy has formed the opinion of Gerrards achievements being better.

We had 50 thousand fans believing we could go to Baku, not so long ago we were struggling to get out the championship.

4 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Winning an undervalued trophy is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things though, if you read the article and have a decent grasp of the context you'd probably understand why the guy has formed the opinion of Gerrards achievements being better.

We had 50 thousand fans believing we could go to Baku, not so long ago we were struggling to get out the championship.

Winning a trophy is pretty irrelevant but fans singing about going to Baku is a thing.

Jesus christ.

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Winning a trophy is pretty irrelevant but fans singing about going to Baku is a thing.

Jesus christ.

Might aswell bring Warbs back, he delivered the petrofac cup at least.

Bet even Jesus Christ understood context.

Looks like this thread got derailed by Gerrard and Arteta success comparisons, the significance of The FA Cup and whether the Gooners can still hack it as a big club. 

Firstly Arteta has been a breath of fresh air at Orsenal. Their all round play looks better but it will take him a couple of seasons to get them back to a consistent top 4 finish.  Winning a trophy is important and something Gerrard has yet to manage so full marks to Arteta.  Overall I rate our progress to date from where we were as better than a cup win.

The appeal of the FA Cup has diminished significantly but don’t blame the big boys.  53000 at Anfield for Liverpool v Shrewsbury and the 6000 tickets Liverpool got for the midweek game at a packed Stamford Bridge sold out with many travelled without tickets.  But the attendances at some of the FA Cup games were woeful.   Overall it has lost its magic but that is with the many smaller clubs not the big boys so we can’t blame Europe or the Premier League.  

Arsenal lost it for me when they moved to the soulless bowl of the Emirates.  Tore up their history and lost one of the most passionate home fam bases in search of big money corporate business with exorbitant prices for most fans.   Still one of the big boys.

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I’m saying managers are ultimately judged on trophies. You’re using a made up song about going to Baku :lol: 

I'm not using the song, that's daft patter that should be beneath you. I was pointing to the belief amongst our support after the shit show we had for years.

Winning undervalued trophies just isn't elevating a manager to supreme status for me, if Arteta delivers the league or Euro trophy we can revisit this topic, maybe by then Gerrard will have secured 55.

The FA cup is the equivalent of picking up an old tart at closing time after all the good birds were taken imo 

3 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I'm not using the song, that's daft patter that should be beneath you. I was pointing to the belief amongst our support after the shit show we had for years.

Winning undervalued trophies just isn't elevating a manager to supreme status for me, if Arteta delivers the league or Euro trophy we can revisit this topic, maybe by then Gerrard will have secured 55.

The FA cup is the equivalent of picking up an old tart at closing time after all the good birds were taken imo 

And what is the Scottish cup or League Cup if the FA Cup is that?

13 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Don't care who did what in which game, fact of the matter is the FA Cup is a big trophy for anybody to win in England. 

Gerrard has won nothing yet. 

Don't care, fingers in the ear shite from you. You asked me why I came to the conclusion that big teams undervalued the cup:lol: 

You think it's still a big prize, good for you, but the fact of the matter is that big teams don't give much of a fuck about it.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

And what is the Scottish cup or League Cup if the FA Cup is that?

Trying to find the bit where I said our big teams treated our cup competitions with contempt, can't find that bit.

The league cup for me is massive, it sets a marker and psychologically it can be huge for the league battle. The Scottish cup is still nice to round the season off before the break.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Trying to find the bit where I said our big teams treated our cup competitions with contempt, can't find that bit.

The league cup for me is massive, it sets a marker and psychologically it can be huge for the league battle. The Scottish cup is still nice to round the season off before the break.

The Point is it’s significantly harder to win a FA cup than it is to win a Scottish or League cup.

Archived