Michael Ball - Video

julescotia

If I remember correctly, LB at that time was one of our weakest positions.  So we went out and blew a huge sum of money in one of the best up and coming LBs from England.  People thought he’d be brilliant up here but he went missing at one point and the club refused to play him again.  Rumour was, if he played anymore games Rangers would need to pay a fee relating to appearances that was part of the initial deal to bring him here.  It was sad how it worked out.

Good player, but hampered by a large price tag. A terrible injury near the start of his time here made it tough for him to live up to expectations right from the start. Things just never really happened for him the way they could've done.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

If I remember correctly, LB at that time was one of our weakest positions.  So we went out and blew a huge sum of money in one of the best up and coming LBs from England.  People thought he’d be brilliant up here but he went missing at one point and the club refused to play him again.  Rumour was, if he played anymore games Rangers would need to pay a fee relating to appearances that was part of the initial deal to bring him here.  It was sad how it worked out.

We signed him to be a left sided centre back in a back 3/5 as Advocaat had shifted to that formation at the back end of the 00-01 season. We already had Numan and Vidmar on the books.

When he first came and was in the side until he got injured the line up was normally Ricksen Konterman/Moore Amoruso Ball Numan.

Earlier in the season I think even Scott Wilson and Tony Vidmar played in the right and left CB positions.

It was only under Eck that he played as a LB from memory.

Side note, I was never convinced by Advocaat’s 3-5-2. The players never looked as comfortable in their roles compared to the 4-4–2/4-3-1-2 we played in his first two seasons.

21 minutes ago, ThenNowForever said:

Unless I’m getting totally mixed up then my only memory of him is hitting the free kick in Copenhagen that led to the penalty in the champions league qualifier. 

Yep he hit that well.

Few weeks prior he rattled a peach off the crossbar at Pittodrie, De Boer headed in the rebound.

Archived