Zungu injured already

GOAT

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

Think he'll need to be retiring from SA national team. He took a bit of stick in the 1st game even though he scored - and he seemed a bit grumpy about that. So if he's going away and coming back injured, he needs to rethink that - I think anyway.

We shouldn't be signing players if they have to retire from international football at 28 years of age because they're constantly injured. 

I hope he makes it here and remains fit but I fear this is the usual oh it's a wee knock then it'll be 7-10 days for scan results and before we know it he's out completely. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We shouldn't be signing players if they have to retire from international football at 28 years of age because they're constantly injured. 

I hope he makes it here and remains fit but I fear this is the usual oh it's a wee knock then it'll be 7-10 days for scan results and before we know it he's out completely. 

That is a point - but Steve Gerrard and Ross Wilson and probably a few others have done a top job with recruitment/s so far.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

He's a month older than Barisic and has played 40 fewer games in his career. I cant remember the same panty-wetting thread when Barisic returned injured from the last break.

Barisic 10/11/92 - 223 club games

Zungu 9/10/92 - 183 club games

It's also worth pointing out that Zungu didn't start playing professionally until around the age of 20, and he's played half of his career in a league that only plays 30 games a season. If you divide his appearances by how many years he's played professionally, it works out at around 20 games a season, which honestly isn't that terrible. It's not indicative of Tavernier levels of fitness, sure, then again Tavernier had played on average around 20 games a season before joining us. As for Barisic, he also played on average 20 games a season before joining us.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

He's a month older than Barisic and has played 40 fewer games in his career. I cant remember the same panty-wetting thread when Barisic returned injured from the last break.

Barisic 10/11/92 - 223 club games

Zungu 9/10/92 - 183 club games

Was all of Barisic’s missed games through injury?

11 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Not all but considering he’s missed 400 days near enough through I’m considering the vast majority will be.

I’ll take the victory, now, we’re Barisic’s?

Barisic has missed about a quarter of that time - yet only managed 40 games more. 

Going by Transfermarkt Zungu missed 41 games over his career with two injuries.

Barisic has missed 24 games for Rangers alone through injury. 

There are another almost 40 he missed at Osijek with no explanation but given he was captain at the time of about half of them, it seems odd he'd be dropped for between 5 and 8 games on the bounce on a few different occasions. 

From what I can gather of Zungu's injury history, he actually has played quite regularly at every club he's been at. What makes his appearance total look worse is the fact he was a late starter as a professional footballer and also being extremely unfortunate to pick up two unrelated but major injuries two years apart (fractured tibia and serious knee injury). While that obviously isn't great, it's certainly preferable to the injury records of players like Roofe or Jack, who suffer from recurring injuries that can reappear at any given time and have made them consistently miss games.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Barisic has missed about a quarter of that time - yet only managed 40 games more. 

Going by Transfermarkt Zungu missed 41 games over his career with two injuries.

Barisic has missed 24 games for Rangers alone through injury. 

There are another 14 he missed at Osijek with no explanation but given he was captain, it seems odd he'd be dropped for between 5 and 8 games on the bounce on a few different occasions. 

Zungu’s missed 28 games if you listen to transfer market which is weird considering he was out from January to August and missed only 2 :lol: 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Zungu’s missed 28 games if you listen to transfer market which is weird considering he was out from January to August and missed only 2 :lol: 

If you look at his actual games played each season on there, there are more, which is where the 41 comes from. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bongani-zungu/leistungsdaten/spieler/240892/plus/0?saison=2015

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bongani-zungu/leistungsdaten/spieler/240892/plus/0?saison=2018

Archived