*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Opportunity to potentially qualify on Thursday, but more likely the following week vs Liege. 

Being able to send a fringe team to Poland before Tannadice would be lovely

Be good to be able to give the likes of Tav, Barisic and Kent a night off, get some euro experience to Bassey and Paterson as well 

2 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Be good to be able to give the likes of Tav, Barisic and Kent a night off, get some euro experience to Bassey and Paterson as well 

While qualification is in itself an achievement there is nothing to stop us winning the group,  which would make us a seeded team in last 32 draw.  Only then give fringe players a game in Europa 

People are underestimating Benfica just a tad. They were outplaying us until the red card. Tactically, they then took their best play maker off (Pizzi) and were missing the talented left back Grimaldo. This will be a very difficult game.

8 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

3 points and we're through. 

Is that true. There is one unlikely scenario which still puts us out. 

After game 4 we would be on 10 pts, Benfica 7 and assume Poznan win and are on 6. 

We lose to Stsndard and Benfica and Poznan draw, so now 10 points for us , 8 for benfica and 7 for Poznan.  

Final games Poznan beat us 2-0 and Benfica beat Standard. Final points us 10, Benfica 11 and Poznan 10 but a better head to head against us. 

Pessimistic Loyal. 

PS If we win I am sure we will go through as we will not lose our last 2 games. 

5 hours ago, Darth Bear said:

Dodgy link I'm afraid mate. 

I took out a BT deal at £25 per month, no contract and can cancel anytime. Each month covers 3 games so cost £8 a game. Justified it in that I would have spent around 300 goiing to the home qualifiers and group matches between tickets and travel. 

It’s as much about what we do as anything else

Yes they’re a quality side but we started the game playing scared a bit last time, if we go out and play with the confidence on the ball that we should then we can be more than a match for them 

Their recent results have been poor as well, beaten at home by Braga after we played them and trounced by Boavista before. 

It’s Benfica not Bayern Munich and we’re capable of beating them 

2 hours ago, Brubear said:

I took out a BT deal at £25 per month, no contract and can cancel anytime. Each month covers 3 games so cost £8 a game. Justified it in that I would have spent around 300 goiing to the home qualifiers and group matches between tickets and travel. 

No good to me mate as I'm not in the UK so like a lot of folk living abroad it's dodgy link 👍

6 hours ago, glasgow argyle said:

While qualification is in itself an achievement there is nothing to stop us winning the group,  which would make us a seeded team in last 32 draw.  Only then give fringe players a game in Europa 

If we beat Benfica and Liege we’d win the group regardless of result in Poland due to better head to head against Benfica 

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

People are underestimating Benfica just a tad. They were outplaying us until the red card. Tactically, they then took their best play maker off (Pizzi) and were missing the talented left back Grimaldo. This will be a very difficult game.

On the plus side, Darwin Nunez being out is a huge boost 

1 hour ago, 6superbarry6 said:

If we beat Benfica and Liege we’d win the group regardless of result in Poland due to better head to head against Benfica 

Exactly, and I hope we can win both and give some key players a night off in Poland,  but that is a difficult task, I just hope we don't regret losing late goals at benfica .

im still fucking raging about the 3-3 draw. lol, ffs, 

Benfica have conceded another 3 at home to Braga.  Benfica 2-3 Braga

Benfica are still a very good side and dangerous, will be a very difficult game, we would have been thro if we had better game management near the end of game but theyre conceding and there seems to be problems with squad and not playing to great atm, thats me just reading their forum. 

win this and were thro. 

11 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Davis Jack Kamara

Aribo Morelos Kent

It's always going to be harsh on a CM, but it just seems the right line up for Europe.

This except i think he might go with Arfield instead of Aribo

2 hours ago, GabrielTomato said:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Davis Jack Kamara

Aribo Morelos Kent

It's always going to be harsh on a CM, but it just seems the right line up for Europe.

fully expect that midfield. harsh on Arfield but that seems to be Gerrards ideal european midfield. 

12 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I am certainly not underestimating them. Really missed a trick by not killing the first game. All we had to do was take the ball into the corner. Still struggling to get over that.

Just now, Dickie1963 said:

I am certainly not underestimating them. Really missed a trick by not killing the first game. All we had to do was take the ball into the corner. Still struggling to get over that.

I still fear losing that goal at the end in Lisbon could end up cost us a knockout place. If we lose this game Poznan will be a very tough game in Poland. 

I actually think we will get at least a point on Thursday but you never know with Europeam ties. 

Archived