*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Is that for this season cos on Wiki he signed from Olympiakos in 2014

checked some of the other players out  - 3 of them alone are about 60 million worth of buys if I’ve read things right 

It says 20/21 on the wab page.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/andreas-samaris/profil/spieler/140032

Their worth can be found here

https://www.transfermarkt.com/benfica-lissabon/startseite/verein/294

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’ll be our hardest game this season, 11 vs 11 we’ll do well to get a point. That said, I’m looking forward to this with huge confidence and I wouldn’t be surprised if we pull off another incredible win. I’m trying to keep myself from getting too excited though. 

1 minute ago, James Rolle said:

It’ll be our hardest game this season, 11 vs 11 we’ll do well to get a point. That said, I’m looking forward to this with huge confidence and I wouldn’t be surprised if we pull off another incredible win. I’m trying to keep myself from getting too excited though. 

If we apply ourselves right I honestly think they can be took. Would be a massive win 

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

As usual we’re playing Benfica kids, just like Porto, Braga, Feyenoord, Vienna, Willem II, even St Josephs probably had a few players out. 

Meanwhile the tarriers scared Milan 1-2 and beat Bayern Munich 1-2 as well. 

Media is basically the celtic view

Whatever team Benfica put out, it'll be a much stronger 11 than the part-time electricians from Sparta Prague's B-team who hammered them 4-1.

56 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

If we apply ourselves right I honestly think they can be took. Would be a massive win 

Need to weather the early storm we always seem to get at home to Portuguese clubs and take it from there. Wouldn't be to unhappy with a draw but like you say we are more than capable of the the win.

2 hours ago, James Rolle said:

They are undoubtedly a quality side and have spent 10's of millions on their squad but I reckon they are the team who will do well to get a point from us.

I fully appreciate that if they are on top form and we are "off it" even by a small margin then they have more than enough quality to punish us.

Thing is I just don't see that happening, we have been immense all season, we just get better and better and we have more gears to go up imho.

Still in November granted and we haven't achieved a thing yet but the way we are playing this season is phenomenal. 

This could be a season like no other if we continue to stay clear of covid/injuries and suspensions.

Bring them all on.

Gerrard seems to have basically said we’re going for it, which is fantastic to hear

We’ve got nothing to lose. What a scalping it would be if we can pull this off. And what a massive psychological effect it’ll have on both us and that lot if we do.

3 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Is that for this season cos on Wiki he signed from Olympiakos in 2014

checked some of the other players out  - 3 of them alone are about 60 million worth of buys if I’ve read things right 

Been a bit part player for a few years now but at one time he was really highly rated. Got his move after Olympiacos had a great season that year and knocked Benfica out the Champions League.

If we qualify, will the last 32 be in january/feb? 

If so we are goin to have a hard run january/feb. With them out of Europe and solely being allowed to concentrate on the league.

1-0 Gers tomoro then get the rest in which could be pivotal when approaching xmas/new year

13 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I watched bits & pieces of Champions league tonight. We are better than teams like Sevilia, Rennes, Krasnodar & Kyiv.

There are harder teams in the Europa than some Champions League teams - Benfica, Bayer , Leicester, Villarreal, Spurs... and us!

2e8857643103d5ee924123aa67f3a9ba.jpg.ab15a5a38470a5a3ffaedcabce7fa679.jpg

11 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I watched them because I had them on a bet. They were jammy to win 90+5.

The way we have been playing, we would have beat them based on that performance.

Anyway, other than about ten or so teams, I don't think the jump from Europa to Champions league is that big.

They would cuff us about the place.

They beat Inter in last years final. Inter knocked out Leverkusen who schooled us on football at the pointy end of a European competition. Think out that side they have only lost 2 players over the summer.

11 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

They would cuff us about the place.

They beat Inter in last years final. Inter knocked out Leverkusen who schooled us on football at the pointy end of a European competition. Think out that side they have only lost 2 players over the summer.

Is Banega still there? 

Class player imo. 

12 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I watched them tonight.(I took them on a bet) I wasn't impressed mate.

Going by the heatmap Krasnodar just spent most of the night trying to contain Sevilla.

Sevilla are a team that gets results, they knocked out Roma, Man Utd, Wolves and Inter to win the Europa league last season. Their style is very similar to ours in Europe in terms of counter attacking, set pieces and an aggressive press, so they are better suited against teams who will have a go. I doubt there's a better team in Europe at that style of football to be honest.

I mean, if a neutral watched us against Livi, Kilmarnock away or even Ros County at home.. they would think we weren't up to much either. 

3 hours ago, Howsitgoing said:

Sun reporting Jack is out for this game, will be a miss if true. 

Disappointing  Zungu injured as well but with all these games, international , European,domestic  and now with cup games kicking in as well  it's no a surprise  Jack is struggling a bit.

Just hope they are no out for too long as this will put pressure on Davis and Arfield in particular.

Archived