*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

5 points clear with 2 games left including a home game and finished our games against the top seeds in the group.  About as good as a Europa group is ever going to be for us.

The manner of the draws with Benfica are disappointing but the reality is that if we are going to have these late mini collapses and learn from them then I would much rather they come in Europe than in a game against celtic.  These 2 games have given us something to go and work on in the training ground so that when we are 2-0 up against the scum (again) in January we will have learned from this and go and close the game out.  As disappointed as I am, I'm also very happy we didn't concede a 3rd as that would have really knocked the stuffing out of us.  We hit the bar, had a stonewall pen denied and their first goal was just jammy imo bouncing off Tav. 

We can win our remaining games, both of which we will be favourites for imo and we will top the group.  Not much to be sad about here.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stevie G not making changes when Benfica scored their first goal was a massive error. In fact he should have made changes when we went 2 up. Disappointing, however, still undefeated and sitting joint top, i think we'd all have taken that before the group stages started.

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Nah we badly missed someone like jack coming on, they had far too much time to work the ball about the middle of the park, and it dragged in our wider players meaning they could spray it wide and then run at us

Aye but he wasn’t on the bench?! 

Just now, scott12003 said:

the whole point is to disrupt the tempo we had none!

Neither did they. They were fucked and we let them back into the game. We had to control the lead better.

You could see they stopped chasing balls around, exactly what happened over in Portugal.

2 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Massively frustrating to not win in the end. 

We should we be winning both of those games and the lack of subs is massively disappointing.

Out of context they're both good results, but they're silly dropped points.

Just said to my mate that last game against them I was happy enough with the draw, but to throw two games away has made me angry tbh.

1 minute ago, Raligt said:

But the game was so close it could have disrupted our shape on the pitch. 100% with Gerrard on this one. 

2 sloppy goals. We shouldve had a pen and shouldve won. Will still get through in the group so not end of the world.

who would you have subbed? not one player was slacking. 

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

Massive pressure next week to beat Liege imo. 

Yeah but are you honestly that worried?  They are a good team and deserve our respect but we are a cut above Liege imo and should deal with them at Ibrox.  Especially given the frustration the players will feel after tonight.

8 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

The mistake we made was sitting off at 2-0. They are a decent side and we shouldn’t have done that. Their first was really unlucky for us but it gave them the impetus they needed at that stage. It’s still a good result but we need to show more in seeing through against better opponents. 

Kind of agree, the flip side of pushing for a third is that they catch us on the break due to fresh legs & our tiredness... but the flip side of that is they got back in the game anyway :lol:

Another tough one to take but need to remind ourselves they are a strong side, very fast & would have leathered the taigs. Just a bit of a buzz kill though.

Just need to beat Standard next week. On to Falkirk.

Archived