*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

2 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Again can’t switch off against great opposition. European football can be a hard lesson. 

Indeed. But still, a win out of 2 and we are through. We might be in a great form, but we cannot win every single game and not concede any goals at all. Looking at the bigger picture, Benfica are one hell of a team. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

No, arses didn’t collapse. If anything we were too gung ho in the first match.

In that match there we were shattered and the team should have been freshened up for the latter stages. Hell, we were still trying to score the winner at the end when I was shouting about just seeing it out for the point.

Yeah fair. Just looked like the first sign of pressure we were put under we couldn't handle it and threw it away but I get your point.

2 minutes ago, demise said:

Gerrard needs to start making subs, Benfica made 4 or 5 today ? And turned the game around. I honestly felt that we are lucky that there was not another 10 mins or so. 

Still, we are in a good place. No injuries and a point against a pretty damn good side. 

We were coasting, relatively speaking. I kept saying the same all through the game.

Maybe subs would have changed it.......our bench looked it's weakest in a long time tbf.

Stevie G is doing alright as far as I'm concerned. 

We will qualify, let's be honest :tonic:

3 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Yeah mate. Feels like a loss. That cunt linesman cost us as well. I hate talking like that, but people need to do their jobs properly. Tarrier officiating tonight. 

They are a very good team mate, but left feeling like the first game, very frustrated. 

How a linesman could look straight across at that and not give a penalty is very poor.

Anyway I think a point from the next two games and we are through. :thumbup:

Just now, Scottywellhousetb said:

Not arguing with with that at all, this is a tournament where we continue to punch well above our weight, it's a fine day when we are raging at dropping points against  benfica. 

i agree but its still poor to lose goals so late and subs not being utilised

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The minute roofe scored we should have made a change, davis was on empty at that point, same as kent, even morelose tracking back was a half yard slower as he was humped 

Id have brought on bassey itten and barker, pace, strength and energy

Can't disagree with any of that. Someone else made the point about Helander too. Him & Bassey in there and they wouldn't have had any space at the back. Kent was done.....so yeah, Barker would have been the obvious one to help stretch the game. Only SG will know why he didn't make changes! 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Game management these 2 games has been absolutely piss poor.

In all seriousness I think that is the one thing where you can see we are not quite at that top level. We are clearly much better than last season but whenever we come up against a top side like this our game management is dubious. We played well but it is just small things that can hurt you at this level. We sat off at 2-0. Also we didn’t bring on fresh legs. It’s not a blame game as such as we are still in a strong position, but we need to learn as a coaching staff and team if we are to keep moving forward. 

1 minute ago, shaka said:

Would've taken a draw in both games at the start but now it feels like defeats.  The players need to learn the art of playing in Europe.  When you get ahead by two or more goals and the opposition is pushing to get back into the game, waste as much time as possible.  Morelos, Roofe and Kent all took tough challenges looked in pain but then got right back up and got on with it.  If they just copied European teams and rolled around for a while and got the physio on it would've slowed things down.  We definitely should've done something after they got their first goal to kill their momentum.

Our record in Europe is superb. Delighted with the result against potentially a finalist. 

7 minutes ago, Raligt said:

But the game was so close it could have disrupted our shape on the pitch. 100% with Gerrard on this one. 

2 sloppy goals. We shouldve had a pen and shouldve won. Will still get through in the group so not end of the world.

How can you been when we’ve dropped points...? 

Playing one of the better teams in Europe we done well and gave them a game. SG now needs to look at how to manage these type of games. Rangers have came a long way since he came in the door 3 years ago, lets keep improving. :UK:

Archived