*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need to keep our aggression and intensity up when we have such a lead in future rather than inviting pressure 

I feel like we’re a bit of belief and confidence in Europe away from being serious contenders 

Kemar Roofe by the way, what a steal we’ve got getting him in 

We played the perfect game up to about 60mins, I could see us getting leggy after all the effort and concentration we had put in was frustrating them. We could have done with a couple of subs, then we score the second and instead of bringing Barker on, Gerrard decides to try and see it out with the 11 on the field :confused:

Europe's always a learning experience against these top teams and we're certainly holding our own. If Jack and Aribo we're fit they'd definitely have been on but Stevie's got to trust the rest of the squad.

Gutted we've not beaten Benfica in one of these games but that's how high our expectations have become.

Do some folk really think that we would have done better than being unbeaten in the Europe league and scoring 5 in two games against a team with the level that benfica have by bringing on Mr Brandon barker? 

I'm gutted that they got back on the game and I was saying we need to make subs. But I couldn't see who I would take off for a gen replacement. 

Maybe I'm easy pleased. Was pissed off at the whistle and as times went by must admit. 8 points four games in I think we're doing OK in europe

19 minutes ago, Raligt said:

But the game was so close it could have disrupted our shape on the pitch. 100% with Gerrard on this one. 

2 sloppy goals. We shouldve had a pen and shouldve won. Will still get through in the group so not end of the world.

The game needed disrupting after their first IMO. But I’m not really moaning, I see what you mean and it nearly worked. I’d have taken 2 draws over the 2 games any time 

Disappointed but really we're in a phenomenal position. No chance we don't qualify, and we could easily top the group still too.

Only disappointed due to the manner in which 2 or 3 of the Benfica goals have been conceded across both games. Completely avoidable but they are a top quality side. Some unreal touches from them at times.

Also, definitely a fucking pen. Don't know why they never gave it. Looked like the linesman easily seen it on the replays.

Gutted 2 points from what should have been 6, yet a bit of context.

Benfica are ranked 23rd in Europe club co-efficents. We are (albeit out of place) 62nd.

Yep the 2 wins would see us have more points to count towards the rankings for next year and the scum only have 1 point (were on 5) for this season. Next season they lose 7 pts from the total from the last 5 years, we don't lose any (season 16/17 points now don't count) As it stands we will over take them on the rankings.

season 22/23 gets even better for us as they will lose 8 points and we only drop 0.25.

Oh not forgetting they have been fucked over twice by a team sitting 96th in the rankings.

The future is bright!

Not having this how far we have come bollocks, we played them 3weeks ago that should be the 1 off. 

No subs again is poor, and we have only conceded in 5 games this season, 3 of which have finished 2-2, 2-2, 3-3, we concede and panic sets in.

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I meant someone with energy, davis was burst, kamara was covering for him a lot and feeling it, arfield trying his best on the other side was beginning to falter, 

Which is why I said Barker :sarcasm:. Think we are saying the same thing. 

not changing it at all is not good enough

we had to change the way the game was going

a big let down in the two games againt benfica for me was the way we couldnt change anything in the last 20 mins

but we have the players on the bench to change it

29 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Both been brilliant all night as well, especially Kamara. Overloaded on the left though because Gerrard didn’t make a sub and bring Kent off. 

Disagree to an extent. There a few players at fault in each goal. And It’s Davis that let’s both scorers run off him in box. Hes slow to react in both. Even if first 1 in particular is a bit of a pinball effort. 

Archived