*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

4 minutes ago, geneva_ger said:

Sorry but I couldn't see how Itten could move the way Alfie does. The play was nowhere near an Itten type of player.

Aside, I cannot see Itten being here next season.

Itten plays centrally and holds the ball up, gices us a breather, and he works hard

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Clearly we were worried about them and there was maybe a little bit of anxiety once they start looking more dangerous in the 2nd half. Clearly something to work on. Results like this are always useful for successful, winning sides if it helps them refocus and analyse where improvements can still be made.

That said Benfica are a fucking good side. They'd expose the weaknesses of all but the top teams in Europe. They'd beat the Orcs comfortably without breaking a sweat. 

Exactly, hence issues rather than a more hyperbolic term. End of the day we're drawing 5-5 over 180 minutes against a side that should be in the CL, whilst celtic are losing 8-2 against Czech EL-calibre sides in that same period. Don't think anyone's going to lose their head tonight, but the two Benfica games always represented a chance to test ourselves against genuine quality and we'll be even better for it.

I'm disappointed and I know I shouldn't be. I'm unhappy that SG didn't make changes when you could see we were struggling. I know we didnt have midfield options tonight. We're missing 3 guys in the middle. Before the games I'd easily have taken 2 points from these 2 games...but I just think we've thrown away a really good opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Itten plays centrally and holds the ball up, gices us a breather, and he works hard

Agree to a point mate but the passages of play in the second half are that we couldn't get the ball or weren't putting the ball in that area. If we had then yup. I think our midfield of Davis and Arfield didn't or couldn't contribute to that.

I'll take the result and we are certainly looking like a team to fear.

5 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

Disagree to an extent. There a few players at fault in each goal. And It’s Davis that let’s both scorers run off him in box. Hes slow to react in both. Even if first 1 in particular is a bit of a pinball effort. 

Davis as a player is done. He cant last a full 90 and in truth shouldn't be anywhere near our first team. He's a guy who should be coming on for the last 10 minutes and that's it. However, we were really short of players tonight in the middle. Not sure what was wrong with Aribo.

14 minutes ago, hawkfalcons said:

wtf are you on about seriously that's for the manager to make but the players were dead on their feet if nothing else would have used minutes up or are you happy at a 2 goal lead being surrendered twice.  ffs i love SG and he wil get us to the title and progress in europe but no subs was poor imo

Answer the questions instead of talking utter shite, of course I'm disappointed at not winning but I'm not fucking stupid enough to blame Gerrard for Balogun slipping or a linesman not giving the clearest hand ball you''l see. had Jack been fit then yea I would have brought him on, who else would have made a difference? upsetting the balance of the team to make subs for the sake of making them isn't that clever.

18 minutes ago, Barasa said:

Benfica threw caution to the wind & it paid off. Alfie nearly caught them out for it & we were not given a definite penalty. The lads can all hold their heads up for a good result. It doesn't feel anything like a defeat to me.

Folk quote it's a penalty under current rules!!!! That was a stonewall penalty under any set of rules. 

12 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

Disagree to an extent. There a few players at fault in each goal. And It’s Davis that let’s both scorers run off him in box. Hes slow to react in both. Even if first 1 in particular is a bit of a pinball effort. 

Yeah I’m not saying people weren’t tracking runners but they targeted our left as soon as Kent started blowing. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Yeah I’m not saying people weren’t tracking runners but they targeted our left as soon as Kent started blowing. 

Spot on no Kent to help like Roofe was down the right couple with the fact Borna was sleep walking through half the game totally cost us tonight.

Kent for Barker or Bassey just for the legs would’ve been a decent sub 

20 minutes ago, Broxi said:

No matter what way you look at it, being top of the group after 4 games having played the best team twice already is a fantastic achievement.

You no watch BT?

They have had Benfica top after last 2 games......wrong both times....get it up them :UK:

7 minutes ago, MarzM said:

Davis as a player is done. He cant last a full 90 and in truth shouldn't be anywhere near our first team. He's a guy who should be coming on for the last 10 minutes and that's it. However, we were really short of players tonight in the middle. Not sure what was wrong with Aribo.

Shh you can’t say that because he plays lots of successful passes back to McGregor 

5 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Answer the questions instead of talking utter shite, of course I'm disappointed at not winning but I'm not fucking stupid enough to blame Gerrard for Balogun slipping or a linesman not giving the clearest hand ball you''l see. had Jack been fit then yea I would have brought him on, who else would have made a difference? upsetting the balance of the team to make subs for the sake of making them isn't that clever.

100% right the midfield ran out of steam but who would you  bring on as all our other midfielders were out maybe bassey at a push  you could not change the front 3 as they were causing problems and barker or itten would not improve that  the pen would have finished the game

1 minute ago, RS4_wul said:

You no watch BT?

They have had Benfica top after last 2 games......wrong both times....get it up them :UK:

I noticed that. They obviously think it is based on GD as opposed to head to head. Could just be enough to see us top the group and Benfica second. 

7 minutes ago, MarzM said:

I'm disappointed and I know I shouldn't be. I'm unhappy that SG didn't make changes when you could see we were struggling. I know we didnt have midfield options tonight. We're missing 3 guys in the middle. Before the games I'd easily have taken 2 points from these 2 games...but I just think we've thrown away a really good opportunity. 

We've only thrown an opportunity away if we don't qualify. Poznan and Liege both have to play us and Benfica and one of them would have to beat us both. In the unlikely event that happens, we would probably still qualify with one point from two games.

Unbeaten in the league, unbeaten in Europe, pumped the scum, playing some superb football, scoring shed loads of goals. Time for folks to become glass half full....leave the half empty shite for the other side of town.

Archived