*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

31 minutes ago, Barasa said:

Can't agree with that. My one criticism of Greegs was him leathering everything down the park. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but he has obviously taken some coaching on playing out from the back & the team is better for that.

If They intercept Goldson forwards pass from the by line after Greegs gives him it from our goal kick , they’re on top of us 30 yards from goal , get it long to the buff , get his body in and contest the second ball the their half 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

If They intercept Goldson forwards pass from the by line after Greegs gives him it from our goal kick , they’re on top of us 30 yards from goal , get it long to the buff , get his body in and contest the second ball the their half 

Now & again maybe as a surprise. Possession is our game now, like it or not.

Just now, Barasa said:

Now & again maybe as a surprise. Possession is our game now, like it or not.

It’s not for me mate , see no point potentially costing yerself a goal , 9 times out of 10 we end up under pressure and somebody launches it the same as Greegs could have done 5 dangerous passes ago 

3 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

It’s not for me mate , see no point potentially costing yerself a goal , 9 times out of 10 we end up under pressure and somebody launches it the same as Greegs could have done 5 dangerous passes ago 

9 times out of 10? Be suicide if that was the case.

On 27/11/2020 at 02:14, King Jela said:

Calmed down a bit. A good result on paper, 2 good results on paper actually, but we should have had 6 points out of 6. It was bitterly disappointing but Benfica are maybe just a level below Bayer and that's a level that's still just above us, which there's no shame in with their summer spending. Reaching the knockout stages of the Europa, whether we're in the CL next season or the Europa, is our target when it comes to Europe and there's fuck all wrong with that when you're the biggest of 2 big clubs in a Country the size of ours. If we qualify next week this'll soon be forgotten about. On to the next one. 

As long as we win the group .These results will be seen as decent .Any other and it will be case of thinking ,what could have been 

On 27/11/2020 at 10:06, Cedrick said:

The one negative I’d say the goal kicks , against that class of opposition just get it doon the park and we’ll contest it 80 yards from our goal not 30 or even closer 

I’m all for playing out from the back and being confident on the ball but the goal kicks were clearly not working and when we went long more often than not we were winning the first if not getting onto the second ball.

Fair play to McGregor for trying but he’s never going to be a keeper that you can rely on to play out from the back, demonstrated by when he tried the dink out to Borna and it went straight to a Benfica player. Quite often we put Borna in a corner where the best he could do was win a throw in or play a silly lob down the line.

Once you got past Benfica’s initial press I thought they were quite weak, I thought we could’ve got more joy out of bypassing their press and going direct even if it needed McGregor to give it to Goldson and him to play the long ball to the forwards. Neither Vertonghen or Jardel looked like they fancied it against Roofe or Morelos 

Hopefully a bit of a lesson learned for when we face similar opposition in the future 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

As long as we win the group .These results will be seen as decent .Any other and it will be case of thinking ,what could have been 

The amusing thing from the result midweek is that a few Torbett's I work with genuinely believe the wheels are about to come off for us again because these 2 games against Benfica show "we can't handle pressure". Lol. Where do you even start with that? 

They failed to mention their European efforts from the same night, of course. 

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

The amusing thing from the result midweek is that a few Torbett's I work with genuinely believe the wheels are about to come off for us again because these 2 games against Benfica show "we can't handle pressure". Lol. Where do you even start with that? 

We can’t handle pressure, hence why after drawing 3-3 with Benfica we smashed Hamilton and Aberdeen 8-0 and 4-0 respectively.

What world do these people live on?

Just now, Bronzy said:

We can’t handle pressure, hence why after drawing 3-3 with Benfica we smashed Hamilton and Aberdeen 8-0 and 4-0 respectively.

What world do these people live on?

'Bottle merchants' was another one they hit me with :lol:

I thought they were just bammin' me up at first, "surely they must be?" Was my thinking. Then they went into fine detail to explain their thoughts. 

Was like a bad acid trip. Mentalists. 

14 hours ago, King Jela said:

I’m in not getting carried away camp mate .Anything can happen in football 

We haven’t tasted a loss yet and indeed how we react to it .So I’m sticking with the one game at a time mantra 😄

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

I’m in not getting carried away camp mate .Anything can happen in football 

We haven’t tasted a loss yet and indeed how we react to it .So I’m sticking with the one game at a time mantra 😄

And you're right to do so. They beat us at Ibrox and its game on, assuming we both win our games up to then.

Too many getting a bit carried away. They've only had one league defeat all season. 

Archived