Tavernier

Davy Vandenbroucke

He's been a very good player for us under the circumstances, remember him scoring a goal early on against Hibs at Ibrox, way out in the left hand side, what a goal that was, he's had to fight at times but he's come through for us and all he needs now is silverware to lift, Rangers legend in waiting.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, offminorthreat said:

He just looks fit as all fuck this season and his aggression is off the charts. 

He's like a boxer before a title fight, chomping at the bit every match. 

He's still all smiles and a likeable guy but he has the inner focus now that in the past wasn't as obvious. Gone are the days of him clowning around behind our players getting interviewed post match.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

He's still all smiles and a likeable guy but he has the inner focus now that in the past wasn't as obvious. Gone are the days of him clowning around behind our players getting interviewed post match.

Used to piss me off when he played the joker behind interviews, glad he's cut it out. 

5 minutes ago, offminorthreat said:

Used to piss me off when he played the joker behind interviews, glad he's cut it out. 

Me too mate, was my biggest issue with him being captain tbh. Always rated him as a player but didn't think that behaviour was acceptable for any Ranger let alone our captain. He can be joker in the dressing room if he wants.

For all the stuff said about his mentality, if he wasn't strong mentally, he'd have buckled a long time ago (like many of his former team-mates did) the fact he continues to push on despite criticism, mistakes and poor performances is testament to him and is something he doesn't get enough credit for. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

For all the stuff said about his mentality, if he wasn't strong mentally, he'd have buckled a long time ago (like many of his former team-mates did) the fact he continues to push on despite criticism, mistakes and poor performances is testament to him and is something he doesn't get enough credit for. 

Difference between having resilience like that and a winners mentality though.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Difference between having resilience like that and a winners mentality though.

They are VERY closely linked. Might sound daft but you're only viewed to have a winners mentality once you win something. Look at Gerrard, he lost far more than he won as a player, nobody would say he doesn't have a winning mentality. Scott Arfield has won practically fuck all, he's very much got a winners mentality. 

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They are VERY closely linked. Might sound daft but you're only viewed to have a winners mentality once you win something. Look at Gerrard, he lost far more than he won as a player, nobody would say he doesn't have a winning mentality. Scott Arfield has won practically fuck all, he's very much got a winners mentality. 

Difference with Gerrard and Tav is that when Liverpool were dogshit Gerrard was still playing out his skin most weeks trying to drag the team up to his level. The only reason guys like Djimi Traore, Steve Finnan and Harry Kewell have an FA Cup or Champions League medal is because of him.

The last few years I’ve seen Tav hide in plenty of games when it’s not going well, seen him give an interview saying a draw with Aberdeen was a good result and write programme notes saying him and the team aren’t up to it mentally in Scottish football.

When everyone else about you is also pulling their weight it’s much easier to turn in good performances.

I admire him for his resilience in sticking about and coming up with the goods this year, but as I said previously there’s a big difference in that and having a continuous winners mentality - which with him has not been apparent for the entire time he has been here.

I’m delighted to have been proven wrong again. After Hamilton in March I wanted him gone, never to play for us again. 

The change in Tav has been unbelievable tbh, god only knows where this attitude, focus and just sheer will to win has come from because he’s driving us towards silverware at some speed, I really hope there is no let up and he continues to push on. 

Feels like we took a title winning captains brain and put it into Tavernier this season

5 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I’m delighted to have been proven wrong again. After Hamilton in March I wanted him gone, never to play for us again. 

The change in Tav has been unbelievable tbh, god only knows where this attitude, focus and just sheer will to win has come from because he’s driving us towards silverware at some speed, I really hope there is no let up and he continues to push on. 

Feels like we took a title winning captains brain and put it into Tavernier this season

Not getting pelters from the fans has certainly helped 

26 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Difference with Gerrard and Tav is that when Liverpool were dogshit Gerrard was still playing out his skin most weeks trying to drag the team up to his level. The only reason guys like Djimi Traore, Steve Finnan and Harry Kewell have an FA Cup or Champions League medal is because of him.

The last few years I’ve seen Tav hide in plenty of games when it’s not going well, seen him give an interview saying a draw with Aberdeen was a good result and write programme notes saying him and the team aren’t up to it mentally in Scottish football.

When everyone else about you is also pulling their weight it’s much easier to turn in good performances.

I admire him for his resilience in sticking about and coming up with the goods this year, but as I said previously there’s a big difference in that and having a continuous winners mentality - which with him has not been apparent for the entire time he has been here.

You can pick out games for Gerrard where he hid too. Yes he absolutely pulled them up by the scruff of the neck at times but he also had more ability than 99.99% of players in that division. Without trying to diminish Tav, he's not the most naturally talented player in our team, let alone the league.

I've seen Gerrard say similar tbh - he once described a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen as "perfect" and Tavs comments on the team's mentality in the programme notes were bang on. We shat the bed two seasons out of two in the league post Xmas. How anyone can argue that our performances contradicted Tavs comments are well wide of the mark imo. There have been countless times our squad have shown mentally in the last two seasons that they weren't up to it. I'd much rather Tav as captain was honest about that than hit out with bollocks we all know wasn't true.

He's barely put a foot wrong this season. His crosses have improved tremendously as he rarely over hits them now.

His fitness is off the charts and he just never gets injured (touch wood)

But the biggest thing for me, is that he seems more comfortable as a captain. He seems to be leading by example now. I never thought I would say that about his leadership skills.

Seeing him hoist a trophy will be fantastic.

15 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I'd argue the only reason Gerrard has a champions league medal is because of Dietmar Hamann and a bad assistant referee who gave offside then put it back down in the lead up to the second goal.

Hamann coming on changed that game completely at 3-0 down.

Who was it that got injured that made Rafa change his team and bring on Hamann? Was it Finnan?

Loved Hamann as a player btw. 

42 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Member when celtic supporters were trying to say that Frimpong was better? I member. 

I watched the highlights of their game last night on Sportscene. Was partially at fault for both their goals. Could have prevented both Murphy's rebound but stood and watched, and marking space for Murphy's flick on.

Keep saying it, but I'll happily say it again - he's like a new player IMO ... not everyone will agree with the new player comment because he's always had folk that's rated him as highly as the folk who's slaughtered him (including me) but he's a much more complete & all-round player this season. 

He's really came of age. I think he talks and leads more too. 

His attacking stats have always been decent so I'm not even talking about that here. The errors have gone, the defensive side of his game is much better too.

I've no proof (having not looked at stats for it) but even his passing and crossing seems a lot more measured and clinical this season too. 

Confidence, concentration and new-found aggression is a big part of his game. Looks like he's mastered the mentality side of that too.

Archived