I'm a "younger" bear so wasn't born anywhere around the time of our 1972 triumph in Barcelona. 

I actually dont know lots about that era and have just picked up the headlines over the years about our fixtures on the way to the Nou Camp.

I wanted to ask about Willie Johnston. He is never seen around Ibrox or in the media from what I remember yet his goals contributed to our greatest night in Europe. I've read up a little recently and it seems he left us soon after the final and went up to have a rocky career with the 78 world cup incident and several bans in the game for challenges. 

What are bears thoughts on him today? Can anyone shed any light on why he isnt brought up more in the media or by our club? Does anyone know him? 

14 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

I'm a "younger" bear so wasn't born anywhere around the time of our 1972 triumph in Barcelona. 

I actually dont know lots about that era and have just picked up the headlines over the years about our fixtures on the way to the Nou Camp.

I wanted to ask about Willie Johnston. He is never seen around Ibrox or in the media from what I remember yet his goals contributed to our greatest night in Europe. I've read up a little recently and it seems he left us soon after the final and went up to have a rocky career with the 78 world cup incident and several bans in the game for challenges. 

What are bears thoughts on him today? Can anyone shed any light on why he isnt brought up more in the media or by our club? Does anyone know him? 

The guardian has done a decent, summary article on his career:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2008/dec/23/Rangers-celtic

Just now, The Blues said:

Rocky career....? he played around 250 games for West Brom who were in the English first division which was the top tier of English football at the time.

Think they were relegated in his first season there and spent three seasons in the second tier.

I assume rocky refers to his disciplinary career, being sent home from the World Cup and the McMaster incident.

MorelosRangers likes this
54 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

I wanted to ask about Willie Johnston. He is never seen around Ibrox or in the media from what I remember yet his goals contributed to our greatest night in Europe. I've read up a little recently and it seems he left us soon after the final and went up to have a rocky career with the 78 world cup incident and several bans in the game for challenges. 

You'll see his wrinkly coupon every day at Ibrox on a billboard behind the Govan as part of the Everyone, Anyone campaign.

6 minutes ago, Rmc54 said:

Bud and Colin Stein do regular hospitality at Ibrox , always together . I happened to be present when they popped into the District Bar when the Bochum Loyal RSC happened to be in and got this photo opportunity with their banner.

20200313_182625.jpg

Wonder how long it took to get the banner up the right way.

1 hour ago, MorelosRangers said:

Read this if you can.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sent-Off-Gunpoint-Willie-Johnston/dp/184818509

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Shafted in 78 and got no support from the SFA. He took hay fever medicine ffs and was made out to be a criminal!

Great player who should only be remembered for scoring two goals in a European final. He tormented defenders at times.

Wasn’t averse of giving them a kick either 😂

bluenoz likes this

Went to see Clapton at the Apollo, must have around the 78 World Cup and Bud getting sent home.

So Slowhand comes on in a West Brom top, opens with Layla and then starts going on about Johnston. Half the Apollo cheered and the other half told him to GTF.

Happy days

:lol:

gmcf and JCDBigBear like this