Question regarding our clean sheets.

British_Empire

Watching the game yesterday and we had a debate on our clean sheets & goals scored.

Some of us wanted to push on and score another a couple.
Some of us wanted to concentrate on just keeping focused and tight at the back now that at 4-0 the game was won and keep another clean sheet.

Apparently Aberdeen hadn't not scored away from home in the league this season.

How much importance do you put on the clean sheets? my argument was I'd rather we won 4-0 (and kept the clean sheet) than won, say, 6-1 (and scored another couple of goals and got another +1 net on the goal difference) 

All hypothetical and I know 6-1 looks like a mauling compared to 4-0 - but my argument was the clean sheets are more vital to me and our team as a unit. Keep them clean sheets stacking up and teams will think they are beat before they take to the park because we don't concede let alone lose. Mentally I think that's a massive thing, so the clean sheets more important than another couple of goals.

Again, it's all hypothetical but I'm curious to get other peoples thoughts on this too?

Edit, forgot to say, obviously it's different if we are talking about taking 9/10 off someone like Aberdeen. I'd defo take that take with a goal or two being scored against us just because of how it looks - but that's not the most realistic option to base it on. 

Clean sheets breeds more confidence than scoring another goal but conceding one. Teams must look at our clean sheet record with fear in advance of playing us.

Win win. Clean sheets all day long and the goal difference and results will look after themselves. 

I agree I would rather win 4 nil than go for it and lose a goal. I don't think all the subs help, but it great for squad rotation and getting everyone minutes. Our game management has increased exponentially. 

I think clean sheets sends messages to the other teams, it gives them no hope.

I know some say the games turn boring, but I'd rather be bored at 4 up then watching some of the football Ally and Walter had us play. Although Walter always got a result some of the games were horrendous to watch.

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Watching the game yesterday and we had a debate on our clean sheets & goals scored.

Some of us wanted to push on and score another a couple.
Some of us wanted to concentrate on just keeping focused and tight at the back now that at 4-0 the game was won and keep another clean sheet.

Apparently Aberdeen hadn't not scored away from home in the league this season.

How much importance do you put on the clean sheets? my argument was I'd rather we won 4-0 (and kept the clean sheet) than won, say, 6-1 (and scored another couple of goals and got another +1 net on the goal difference) 

All hypothetical and I know 6-1 looks like a mauling compared to 4-0 - but my argument was the clean sheets are more vital to me and our team as a unit. Keep them clean sheets stacking up and teams will think they are beat before they take to the park because we don't concede let alone lose. Mentally I think that's a massive thing, so the clean sheets more important than another couple of goals.

Again, it's all hypothetical but I'm curious to get other peoples thoughts on this too?

The old "goals win games defense wins league's" phrase comes into play here.

When Walter came back he started immediately fixing the defense. Brought in no nonesence hardy bastards and built from there. We got success from that. Gerrard and the management have focused on that this year and it's paying dividends.

Whilst it's more exciting seeing goals than clearing your lines, it's more vital to stop teams scoring. We are starting to make teams believe they won't break us down. Our defensive work this year has been phenomenal and not just by the back 4, but the incredibly tiresome work the midfielders do like covering for the wing backs, holding their line and getting the ball back. The extra impressive thing is we are doing this whilst still scoring for fun.

I would argue last two seasons we were two different side, one for domestic and one for Europe with us excelling in the later. This season we seem to have combined both into one game. A house of cards only succeeds with a solid foundation and our is fucking magnificent just now.

The important thing about clean sheets is is it means noone will be looking at the defence and thinking "wtfs going on" like whats happening at celtic. Instead we can focus on our good form and skill and really have no negative qualms about the team except for on day individual performances but even at that still have a good bench to replace them: 

25 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

The important thing about clean sheets is is it means noone will be looking at the defence and thinking "wtfs going on" like whats happening at celtic. Instead we can focus on our good form and skill and really have no negative qualms about the team except for on day individual performances but even at that still have a good bench to replace them: 

Aye Keevins just made the same point there - opposition teams look at us and see we've only conceded 3 goals and they must wonder where a Rangers defeat is going to come from. 

Definitely the clean sheets for me. As you say in the op teams must feel like they have practically no chance of taking points off us before a ball is kicked.

Defences win leagues without question. If you barely concede then you always have a chance of winning any game even when you're not "at it" whereas if you're shipping goals left, right and centre you'll struggle to win those games.

After we went 4 up with half an hour left to play I really wanted us to pile on the misery and utterly pump them but with about 10 minutes to go my mindset changed to just don't let these cunts score against us......4-0 will do.

Agree. Clean sheets have a psychological effect on teams playing us and build confidence in a back line that didn't have that last season. The more of them you rack up, the more you fight for another one because it becomes something you're renowned for.

Depends on the situation . 

If we're a couple of goals up , I'd say take the clean sheet and play safe  , but if , like yesterday , when we're 4 up with 20 to go and the game is safe , I'd go for it and try to score more . 

Archived