Michael Beale

ElBufalo20

Does he get the credit he deserves?

Any time you’ve seen the camera on Gerrard this season in the dugout  he’s talking to Beale.

Clearly the backroom staff are a team but he seems to be the one doing the talking.

He has a wealth of knowledge from global football and think he’s a great asset to us and Gerrard 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unsure if this is harsh or not, but I don't think you'll see Gerrard without Beale now. He's that important to him.

If you listen to any podcasts he does he's infatuating to listen to. A proper coach. 

Not just a footballing coach, but someone who wants to understand the person. 

One of our best signings (if we win the League).

3 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Unsure if this is harsh or not, but I don't think you'll see Gerrard without Beale now. He's that important to him.

If you listen to any podcasts he does he's infatuating to listen to. A proper coach. 

Not just a footballing coach, but someone who wants to understand the person. 

One of our best signings (if we win the League).

Not sure about that. Assuming Gerrard doesn’t need to be sacked at any point then I think Beale will be our next manager 

29 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Not sure about that. Assuming Gerrard doesn’t need to be sacked at any point then I think Beale will be our next manager 

I don't think so. When Gerrard moves on (assuming he's not sacked as it'll see them all cleared out anyway) I expect Beale to be Gerrard's next assistant. I don't see Gary Mac taking such a key role wherever they are next. Always got the impression he was more appointed here just as the experienced head who knew Scottish football and would guide Gerrard on some of the day-to-day aspects of management that he won't really have experienced himself yet.

That said, Beale's spoken before about wanting to be his own man - but I'm not totally convinced. Not because I don't think he could but I think he's too important to Gerrard to let him go without a fight. Number Two with the hands on responsibility for training etc seems to really suit Beale and isn't necessarily Gerrard's strength.

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't think so. When Gerrard moves on (assuming he's not sacked as it'll see them all cleared out anyway) I expect Beale to be Gerrard's next assistant. I don't see Gary Mac taking such a key role wherever they are next. Always got the impression he was more appointed here just as the experienced head who knew Scottish football and would guide Gerrard on some of the day-to-day aspects of management that he won't really have experienced himself yet.

That said, Beale's spoken before about wanting to be his own man - but I'm not totally convinced. Not because I don't think he could but I think he's too important to Gerrard to let him go without a fight. Number Two with the hands on responsibility for training etc seems to really suit Beale and isn't necessarily Gerrard's strength.

Possibly. But Beale has made it very clear he wanted to be a manager by now. He just felt Rangers & working with Gerrard was too big an opportunity to turn down at the time. 

Also, Gerrard at Liverpool will be able to attract any coach he wants so Beale will be replaceable.

Beale has followed a very clear path that he laid out for himself 10 years ago, he’ll be a manager sooner rather than later

19 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Possibly. But Beale has made it very clear he wanted to be a manager by now. He just felt Rangers & working with Gerrard was too big an opportunity to turn down at the time. 

Also, Gerrard at Liverpool will be able to attract any coach he wants so Beale will be replaceable.

Beale has followed a very clear path that he laid out for himself 10 years ago, he’ll be a manager sooner rather than later

I actually think Beale would leave Rangers if the right managers job came along.  There was rumours that a club from down South were going to offer him a managers position at one point.  I think other teams see his value.

If we win the league this season the Rangers job is Gerrard’s for as long as he wants it.  If he does move on I would hope the club do everything they can to make Beale our manager but it would be a seamless transition.  

9 minutes ago, Fergie_6 said:

Can see Gary Mac getting the job, if Gerrard leaves a winner, Beale will follow him and we will have a new back room team.

Gary Mac would be more likely to follow Gerrard than Beale. Beale's been more openly ambitious to be a manager and is very highly rated as a coach. Not saying McAliister isn't but I think he's content at the level he's at.

The idea of Beale potentially stepping up to the main job himself is a tough one.

Of course there will be plenty of examples where it’s worked out for clubs but there are also a lot of cases of these invaluable number twos who do all the work behind the scenes who then branch out on their own and it ends up being a complete disaster too.

Obviously all appointments are risks but when you’ve been the right hand man of somebody with the personality and presence of Gerrard, especially at a club the size of our one, then it could be hard to step into that role yourself and really impose yourself as the leader.

12 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Obviously all appointments are risks but when you’ve been the right hand man of somebody with the personality and presence of Gerrard, especially at a club the size of our one, then it could be hard to step into that role yourself and really impose yourself as the leader.

You ever heard of a guy called Walter Smith mate? He done pretty well after working under a guy called Graeme Souness who had a bit of a presence about him.

18 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

You ever heard of a guy called Walter Smith mate? He done pretty well after working under a guy called Graeme Souness who had a bit of a presence about him.

Yeah but I’ve also heard of a guy called Ally McCoist who done a pretty piss poor after working under a guy called Walter Smith who had a bit of presence about him so that argument is complete swings and roundabouts.

Beale might easily step up and be a great manager in his own right, just like plenty of assistants have, but by the same token he could also be another one of these coaches who are constantly hyped up by the more analytical type fans and pundits as future managers in waiting on the basis of their work as coaches under other managers who then go on to flop or fade into obscurity when they step out on their own too.

I understand that the continuity would appeal to some people but we’ve had a decade of risks and gambles when it comes to managerial appointments and although every manger comes with a degree of risk, I think when the time does come for Gerrard to leave we would be taking an incredible risk if we just promoted his assistant to be his replacement.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

The idea of Beale potentially stepping up to the main job himself is a tough one.

Of course there will be plenty of examples where it’s worked out for clubs but there are also a lot of cases of these invaluable number twos who do all the work behind the scenes who then branch out on their own and it ends up being a complete disaster too.

Was about to comment... then.

58 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

:thumbsup:

Gerrard is always publicly praising all of his backroom staff. One must show respect in order to receive it. They all understand their roles and work as a team and in turn, that is instilled into the players. No egos at Rangers these days.

50 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Yeah but I’ve also heard of a guy called Ally McCoist who done a pretty piss poor after working under a guy called Walter Smith who had a bit of presence about him so that argument is complete swings and roundabouts.

Beale might easily step up and be a great manager in his own right, just like plenty of assistants have, but by the same token he could also be another one of these coaches who are constantly hyped up by the more analytical type fans and pundits as future managers in waiting on the basis of their work as coaches under other managers who then go on to flop or fade into obscurity when they step out on their own too.

I understand that the continuity would appeal to some people but we’ve had a decade of risks and gambles when it comes to managerial appointments and although every manger comes with a degree of risk, I think when the time does come for Gerrard to leave we would be taking an incredible risk if we just promoted his assistant to be his replacement.

Hypothetically speaking I think Beale being appointed would be more like Walter when he replaced Souness than it would be Ally replacing Walter.

Main difference being that Ally is forever a club legend and was trusted in cup games the season before to take the reigns. He was well groomed for the job and it was no secret he was taking over for Walter to let him enjoy his well earned retirement. Had Archie Knox been promoted in 98 then i'd have said it was closer to this comparison but he left with Walter.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

The Portuguese guy at Man Utd under fergie was a disaster when he went alone Quirez I think his name is. 

Archived