Europa Group D: The Table

Virtuoso

2 minutes ago, Broxi said:

As much as I’d like that to be true I don’t think it is. We’ve been starting from EL Q1 and they’ve been in less CL qualifiers 

Theyve lost to ferenvvaros, cluj and aek athens. We have beaten a decent dutch team a russian top league team and Glatassaray in that spell. Can you name ONE decent team theyve beaten in a qualifier in the last 3 year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

Theyve lost to ferenvvaros, cluj and aek athens. We have beaten a decent dutch team a russian top league team and Glatassaray in that spell. Can you name ONE decent team theyve beaten in a qualifier in the last 3 year.

They've had a free hit at the Champions League for 3 years and effectively shit the bed. They could have been out of sight financially for around 10-15 years if they had qualified but here they are, pumped out of the Europa League after 4 games.

We will definitely qualify, just a matter of will it be first or second. 

If we don't win any of our 2 remaining games that would mean 4 games in a row in the group without a win and we wouldn't deserve to go through. 

That's not happening though. 

We'll pump liege at Ibrox. 

42 minutes ago, left winger said:

Another 2 games against Benfica could be our final qualifier.

Yes, we have a good record against the Portuguese, so no worries there. I was wondering how we would get on in a group such as Liverpool, Atlanta and Ajax. It would be a big step up.

2 hours ago, Shuggy said:

Yes, we have a good record against the Portuguese, so no worries there. I was wondering how we would get on in a group such as Liverpool, Atlanta and Ajax. It would be a big step up.

It would be, and first thoughts would be oh oh! Maybe a couple of draws. But I think if we saw a group of Liverpool, Ajax, Atalanta and Benfica, we would expect Benfica to be in with a shout of second. Two draws might well be doing ourselves a disservice.

18 hours ago, Broxi said:

Probably will though, equal with Antwerp and due to play them again which they'll probably win, if we're taking a guess at the end result you'd have to say they're more likely. Same goes for Leverkusen although Slavia Prague are a good side too so either way that one is tough anyway.

Take away those two and the only teams there I think are comparable are Soceidad and Milan. We know Braga and Young Boys are good but not on the Arsenal, Tottenham, Napoli, Roma, Leicester level. Closer to the Lille and Villareal though. Those teams are ones we can be beat though (as we have shown), don't fancy us much against a Napoli or EPL team though.

Anyway, guess work at this stage and still need to do the business

I’d take a game against Napoli. Players haven’t been paid since July and it looks like their entire squad will be up for sale in January.

I think before a ball was kicked in the groups, most would have bitten your hand off to be in the position we are in after 4 games.

That being said, those 2 draws were kicks in the nuts, games we could and probably should have won.

I'm very happy with our performance in Europe so far.

19 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

No, i disagree. They generally have played a lot pishier teams in the qualifying rounds. And theyve managed to lose to some of them as well.

Agreed, last season and this they were seeded all way through the qualifiers and still screwed up in the CL ones. 

Due to us only coming back into Europe a couple of seasons ago our club coefficient has been low and hence we were unseeded from 2nd qualifier last season and 3rd qualifier this season. 

6 hours ago, ShanksRFC said:

They've had a free hit at the Champions League for 3 years and effectively shit the bed. They could have been out of sight financially for around 10-15 years if they had qualified but here they are, pumped out of the Europa League after 4 games.

I made that point to one of them the other week and he told me I was talking crap. They just don't get it. 

I have celebrated every CL qualifier they have lost as I understood the significance of it if we wanted to be able to compete with them again.  To be fair I celebrate every time they lose but the CL qualifiers were extra special. 

Archived