Amazing that we're disappointed drawing with Benfica

NitshillBear

It's not being disappointed in drawing with Benfica, it's being disappointed in chucking 2-goal leads away, with 15-minutes to go, against the same team, in the last 2-weeks. 

That's unacceptable no matter how it's spun. 

However we can't get carried away and we need to look at the bigger picture and that is we've another chance to qualify next week.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Broxi said:

Said it in the match thread but it's purely a case of Gerrard being a victim of his own success. I'll take disappointed to be undefeated against Benfica, and the 3 best Portuguese teams over 6 matches, than anything else we've endured. Even if the last decade didn't happen that's still high standards. We weren't even this confident in Europe under Walter

I get all that. But our standards change and in a single game we should be able to keep a 2-0 lead for 18 mins. 

1 minute ago, NitshillBear said:

I get all that. But our standards change and in a single game we should be able to keep a 2-0 lead for 18 mins. 

Why? What gives us that right? You do realise we may at times come up against better teams in this competition who can outscore us right? Fuck sakem

We played well. However, that is me taking into consideration that Benfica should be a CL team with a CL budget. If you reflect on the game, we might have a different outcome had things gone our way, but just think how far we have come in the past few years when this conversation is even being discussed. 

14 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

It's not being disappointed in drawing with Benfica, it's being disappointed in chucking 2-goal leads away, with 15-minutes to go, against the same team, in the last 2-weeks. 

That's unacceptable no matter how it's spun. 

However we can't get carried away and we need to look at the bigger picture and that is we've another chance to qualify next week.

Going by a lot of the replies,it seems it is acceptable.

4 minutes ago, Sket said:

Going by a lot of the replies,it seems it is acceptable.

Who has said it's acceptable, this thread is just another attempt to shit on the team who are still undefeated this season. Does tonight feel like a loss? Absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that people can look at it and be happy with the progress we've made. Three years ago we were out to a part time mob. Now we are throwing away leads against Benfica.

30 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Taking two points from what should absolutely be 6 is a real disappointment. Two great performances that warranted so much more. Far too sloppy and we’ve got to do better in those situations regardless of the opposition.

our midfield ran out of steam and with 3 midfielders missing it was difficult to change  but when you see the way we worked and closed down for 80 mins you can understand that  plus we have a stonewall pen to go 3 up

3 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Who has said it's acceptable, this thread is just another attempt to shit on the team who are still undefeated this season. Does tonight feel like a loss? Absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that people can look at it and be happy with the progress we've made. Three years ago we were out to a part time mob. Now we are throwing away leads against Benfica.

Throwing away 2 goal leads in 2 consecutive European games isn't good enough no matter how good we've been. 

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Not shitting on anything. Just had enough of the "from Brechin to Benfica" stuff and the justification of two late capitulations in games where we were in control. Yeah, when the draw was made you'd take it, but not with twenty minutes to go in these two games.

18 minutes ago, NitshillBear said:

But not with 18 minutes to play in each game, which is my point.

I get that I'm gutted too, however when we're playing a team that spent £100m in the last transfer window it does put things in perspective.

It feels, like a loss. However, I couldn't be prouder of the team. Had the blatant hand ball been given or Morelo's shot taken a kinder direction rather than spin behind Roofe, we could have been well out of sight. This year, out of all the years our club has had, is one we need to ensure we do not not take out foot of the gas. Therefore, in a mad sort of way (although I still believe we will still progress in Europe), not qualifying so early just might benefit us.

Archived