Can't be too hard on them, but...

British_Empire

There's no excuse for twice in two weeks throwing away a 2-goal lead like that against the same team with 15-minutes to play. 

We've been outrageously good this season, but the game management has been shocking on those two instances.

Tav picked the wrong game to go back to the Tav of old but he's been a revelation this season so you can't hold it against him.

At 2-0 I was wanting us to sacrifice maybe Roofe and put Helander on to shore things up but hey-ho.

From the start I thought our defence looked nervous for reasons unknown to me. I'm stunned as to why because we've been so strong.

We seemed to play the same way as we did against Poznan, sitting deep but the problem was we were sloppy with clearances and inviting pressure straight back on. You can play that way against Poznan but not against a team of Benfica's quality, sadly.

Just seen the sore in the other game. 93'rd minute winner, a draw would have been better.

I just hope the heads don't go down from the boys and it's not defining moment in our season or anything. It shouldn't be, but there's a lot to learn from tonight. 

Great season so far, but that, again, was pretty unforgivable. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Junior Soprano said:

That team could pass anyone off the park. We were poor but ffs get a grip. We will qualify next week

I never said we wouldn't qualify. Throwing away a 2 goal lead in 2 consecutive games in Europe is pish no matter how much you try and dress it up. Get a grip fuck all.

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

There's no excuse for twice in two weeks throwing away a 2-goal lead like that against the same team with 15-minutes to play. 

We've been outrageously good this season, but the game management has been shocking on those two instances.

Tav picked the wrong game to go back to the Tav of old but he's been a revelation this season so you can't hold it against him.

At 2-0 I was wanting us to sacrifice maybe Roofe and put Helander on to shore things up but hey-ho.

From the start I thought our defence looked nervous for reasons unknown to me. I'm stunned as to why because we've been so strong.

We seemed to play the same way as we did against Poznan, sitting deep but the problem was we were sloppy with clearances and inviting pressure straight back on. You can play that way against Poznan but not against a team of Benfica's quality, sadly.

Just seen the sore in the other game. 93'rd minute winner, a draw would have seen us and Benfica through? would it?

I just hope the heads don't go down from the boys and it's not defining moment in our season or anything. It shouldn't be, but there's a lot to learn from tonight. 

Sometimes you just need to say we conceded goals against a team a level above us who had an extra gear. 

I get what you're saying about game management mate, but to blame game management for that isn't as black and white as that. The game management to get us over performing and playing so well just now has been incredible so I canny accept a problem with our game management. Regarding subs when players are tired, I can understand him no making a sub when every player was doing his job out there. By changing that you risk a link in the chain breaking. However, there were some tired legs out there so I can understand the frustration.

I've been waiting for the "old Tav" comments the minute something went. (Had to be far you 😜) He didn't perform as well as he has this season, but he still bombed up and down all night, got into the box, defended well at times down the right. Yes he maybe could have done better at the back post for the header in their goal but it's harsh to pick him out for tonight.

You hit the nail on the head with us sitting deep. Our full backs played too deep and that was the main problem. Also didn't really get the midfield on the ball.

8 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Just seen the sore in the other game. 93'rd minute winner, a draw would have been better.

this or a midfielder, we were comfortable at 2-0 but as soon as their 1st went in we started to get overrun in the middle.

You’d take 2 points against these types of teams before the game but it’s the context of the draws that’s frustrating.

The only reason I’m annoyed is because we need to put out a full team next Thursday when the majority of who played tonight could’ve had a full 10 days rest until next Sunday. 

Just annoyed that some games we use 5 subs which is good to rest players but others we don’t use any like tonight when we could’ve done with fresh legs. 

The most important thing is domestic games so if we come roaring back like we did in our last disappointment against Benfica I’ll be happy. That’s the biggest challenge for this squad, mentally blocking out disappointing results before the next game which they’ve done already 

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Sometimes you just need to say we conceded goals against a team a level above us who had an extra gear. 

I get what you're saying about game management mate, but to blame game management for that isn't as black and white as that. The game management to get us over performing and playing so well just now has been incredible so I canny accept a problem with our game management. Regarding subs when players are tired, I can understand him no making a sub when every player was doing his job out there. By changing that you risk a link in the chain breaking. However, there were some tired legs out there so I can understand the frustration.

I've been waiting for the "old Tav" comments the minute something went. (Had to be far you 😜) He didn't perform as well as he has this season, but he still bombed up and down all night, got into the box, defended well at times down the right. Yes he maybe could have done better at the back post for the header in their goal but it's harsh to pick him out for tonight.

You hit the nail on the head with us sitting deep. Our full backs played too deep and that was the main problem. Also didn't really get the midfield on the ball.

I'm not picking on Tav mate, but from almost the off he was giving the ball away and looked nervous. I just don't know why. I did say in my OP that he's been a revelation this season so you can't hold it against him. Everyone's allowed a bad day at the office now and again.

I'm just alarmed that the same thing has happened again. 

But we can't lose sight of the big picture and that is we're well on course to qualify. Two wins even see's us top the group.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

I'm not picking on Tav mate, but from almost the off he was giving the ball away and looked nervous. I just don't know why. I did say in my OP that he's been a revelation this season so you can't hold it against him. Everyone's allowed a bad day at the office now and again.

I'm just alarmed that the same thing has happened again. 

But we can't lose sight of the big picture and that is we're well on course to qualify. Two wins even see's us top the group.

Absolutely mate. Reading it again tbf you're quite fair with him for once ya cunt 😜

Aye he seemed nervous. Think we bypassed the midfield tonight too much.

It is alarming throwing away the lead but I think and hope it was just a good team who had an extra gear. However if it happens again the mentality thing will be questioned.

We've played out 2 games against quality opposition and came away undefeated whilst kicking ourselves for not getting 2 wins. On the surface we didn't deserve to win tonight but also didn't deserve to lose. 

We take the point and move on. Not a time for negativity when you look at our record so far this season. Frustration is fair enough but people need to realise that Benfica are one of the few teams that will likely be in the finals of this competition and we've held our own against them whilst being exposed at times due to lack of quality, being tired or inexperience.

Bigger and more important games to come for is so take the positives and move on.

Just now, Number5 said:

Matched Benfica over 2 games. Probably should have came away wth 4pts minimum but it's still showing how far we've came that these are negative results.

should've came away with 6 points

Players wouldn't have been rested anyway. There is too much money at stake for wins and topping the group as well as being a seeded team for the last 32 if you win the group.

Besides, Aribo & Jack got a wee rest tonight. Start them next week instead 😉

There were mistakes made on the park. There were mistakes made by Gerrard. Fair enough.

Previous game was brutal to lose a 2 goal lead to 10 men. Tonight their subs brought not only freshness but improvement in their play. 

But fucking hell they're as good a team as we've played in years, its a credit to us to come out even against a team that spent e100m this summer.

Big picture stuff here, we're on a great trajectory. 

Ffs we top the group on the head to head with Benfica and have a 5pt advantage over the other 2 teams.....if that scenario was offered before a ball was kicked I think we would all have took it....it seems sometimes that the negatives always outweigh the positives for some

Archived