Can't be too hard on them, but...

British_Empire

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Not true. We were never in control of that game. Was great to be 2-0 up but we never really created anything else or took the game towards them.

Even at 2 nil up Benfica didn’t really do anything different. Just kept playing the way they did and unfortunately got the goals.

Not going to criticise the team or management as we just found it tough tonight against a good team.

i agree with you but equally i don't think they were in control of it either, they weren't exactly banging the door down and getting chance after chance. McGregor didn't exactly have much to do other than pick the ball out his net twice. 

Trust me if we want to be getting to where we want to get to which ultimately is winning trophies and getting wins in champions league games then we need to manage the game better. We've done it twice in very quick succession. To be honest it's not a worry, it's just really disappointing - i'm gutted for them they deserved more. 

4 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Not true. We were never in control of that game. Was great to be 2-0 up but we never really created anything else or took the game towards them.

Even at 2 nil up Benfica didn’t really do anything different. Just kept playing the way they did and unfortunately got the goals.

Not going to criticise the team or management as we just found it tough tonight against a good team.

If we weren't as organised and as a strong unit as we were, we and most teams were in for a mailing against them. 

They're a top side - dynamic and physical from the 1st minute till the last. 

10 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Great post 👍🏼 

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

My first reply was giz peace.

Since then you've been an obsessive, compulsive clown.

Now go away, again. 

I'm replying to whatever you quote me on.

I'm going nowhere. I'm on the nightshift, I'll be up all night. You need to go to bed and sleep the White Lightening off mate.

1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

There's no excuse for twice in two weeks throwing away a 2-goal lead like that against the same team with 15-minutes to play. 

We've been outrageously good this season, but the game management has been shocking on those two instances.

Tav picked the wrong game to go back to the Tav of old but he's been a revelation this season so you can't hold it against him.

At 2-0 I was wanting us to sacrifice maybe Roofe and put Helander on to shore things up but hey-ho.

From the start I thought our defence looked nervous for reasons unknown to me. I'm stunned as to why because we've been so strong.

We seemed to play the same way as we did against Poznan, sitting deep but the problem was we were sloppy with clearances and inviting pressure straight back on. You can play that way against Poznan but not against a team of Benfica's quality, sadly.

Just seen the sore in the other game. 93'rd minute winner, a draw would have been better.

I just hope the heads don't go down from the boys and it's not defining moment in our season or anything. It shouldn't be, but there's a lot to learn from tonight. 

Great season so far, but that, again, was pretty unforgivable. 

It’s forgivable tbh 

you would think that benfica team were championes league winners the way people are going on. simple fact is we chucked it against them in their ground when we had a two goal lead and an extra man. then chucked it at our ground with a two goal lead and half their first team missing.

still really happy with how the team has played overall in this tournament and in a fantastic position to qualify for the second year on the bounce ! real battling performances and tav was unlucky with the own goal.

state of the posters on here calling people mongos and spastics. really showing your character for everyone tonight gents. some people need a lie down.

13 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

At least we are throwing away a lead against one of the top sides in Europe instead of in the Ramsdens Cup final

decent side in europe mate. benfica are nowhere near a top side. leverkusen are a better team and they would struggle to be a top 10-20 team in europe.

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Tbh it's more a figure of speech anyway. Cunts on here get way too wrapped up on one word in amongst loads of valid points, and just run with that one word and ignoring the context. 

You said it’s unforgivable and I disagree because I believe it is forgivable to the grand scheme of the season.

11 points clear in league 

5 points clear in europa 

unbeaten so far this season.

I will forgive them for shipping 3 goals tonight.

7 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Tbh it's more a figure of speech anyway. Cunts on here get way too wrapped up on one word in amongst loads of valid points, and just run with that one word and ignoring the context. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

None of your business. 

So it is. 

You're a guy that works nightshift calling people, Rangers people, spastics. 

Just now, Laudrup1690 said:

You said it’s unforgivable and I disagree because I believe it is forgivable to the grand scheme of the season.

11 points clear in league 

5 points clear in europa 

unbeaten so far this season.

I will forgive them for shipping 3 goals tonight.

Aye, but I made the same point myself that you can't be hard on them because we have been outrageously good this season (same as yourself in the grand scheme of the season) 

Again, it's two separate things. 

You can still acknowledge we are having an amazing season, but think throwing away these 2 goal leads against Benfica are really unacceptable in the last 15-minutes of each game. That's the unacceptable aspect to me. 

But the whole context and tone of my OP was to make it clear the distinction that overall we're still on track, bigger picture etc but to make the point it's ridiculous throwing it away again at the end.

7 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

decent side in europe mate. benfica are nowhere near a top side. leverkusen are a better team and they would struggle to be a top 10-20 team in europe.

950 clubs in Europe. I’d bet they are amongst the top 30 at least?

8 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

Away and lick batteries ya retard 

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

Its tough as fuck to take we should be 12 from.12. We aren't, and although id a took two draws from.benfica after how both games worked out its a boot in the baws to me imo 

Spastic etc how dare you say that ... just thank your lucky stars you don't work night shift too

Archived