Can't be too hard on them, but...

British_Empire

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

A draw wasnt better in the other game, the liege winner meant both they two teams need to win both their final games 

As long as we and benfica don't lose next week were through 

Cheers. I wasn't too sure of the permutations tbh.

I'm crap at working out what's needed in the most basic of tables. Can't even count to 3.

It's the simple ones that puzzle me no end.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn’t see the game last night because I was traveling, and was disappointed that we lost a 2 goal lead.  But, really it’s all about getting out of the group into the next round, which is almost a certainty at this point to happen.

Still top of the group with Benfica after four games with no defeats.  It’s really not that bad.

We are a decent team, but against a team of Benfica’s standard, these things will happen.  

No reason to be downbeat.  Look at the state of the filth, if you want to see the opposite of where we are at this time.

6 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

Didn’t see the game last night because I was traveling, and was disappointed that we lost a 2 goal lead.  But, really it’s all about getting out of the group into the next round, which is almost a certainty at this point to happen.

Still top of the group with Benfica after four games with no defeats.  It’s really not that bad.

We are a decent team, but against a team of Benfica’s standard, these things will happen.  

No reason to be downbeat.  Look at the state of the filth, if you want to see the opposite of where we are at this time.

Top of the group, Benfica are behind us on head to heads, just clarifying as I have seen some of the press incorrectly publishing this despite it being on the UEFA website for anyone to see.👍

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

Manager should have subbed last night the players were done from about 70 minutes in plus they brought on 5 fresh players.

I thought the substitutions in the 3-3 draw with them was a factor in them getting back, it changed the game for their benefit. Suspect that was in Steve’s mind when we were 2-0 up. 

1 hour ago, Howsitgoing said:

Their second goal was class, the fact we managed to subdue them to so little chances is another plus in my view. 

Two shots on target! Not to mention the fact we were denied a penalty (which granted wasn't at 2-0).

I think we can be very proud of this team after last night. The old Tav comments for me are a little exaggerated, he was OK last night not his best hame but he won the ball back high up the park plenty of times (even if he didn't always find his man). 

It will always feel like 2pts dropped when we're two nil up, and for it to happen twice is a bitter pill to swallow but look at their team compared to ours - look what they could bring off the bench. 

Personally I'd remove the 'but' from the thread title. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Two shots on target! Not to mention the fact we were denied a penalty (which granted wasn't at 2-0).

I think we can be very proud of this team after last night. The old Tav comments for me are a little exaggerated, he was OK last night not his best hame but he won the ball back high up the park plenty of times (even if he didn't always find his man). 

It will always feel like 2pts dropped when we're two nil up, and for it to happen twice is a bitter pill to swallow but look at their team compared to ours - look what they could bring off the bench. 

Sorry mate there's a massive but that has to be attached to last night. The devil is in the detail though. 

The part about Tav not always finding his man (coupled with giving it away/looking nervous) is exactly why I thought he looked like the Tav of old - but again, he's entitled to a bad game considering how transformed he's been this season. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Sorry mate there's a massive but that has to be attached to last night. The devil is in the detail though. 

The part about Tav not always finding his man (coupled with giving it away/looking nervous) is exactly why I thought he looked like the Tav of old - but again, he's entitled to a bad game considering how transformed he's been this season. 

Still kept his goal scoring up last night.:whistle:

After an initial nervy moments I though he did great.

It was really frustrating last night seeing our players lose our lead. We badly needed fresh legs to give some a break. I would have liked to see Helander on for reasons you mentioned @British_Empire, but it is what it is and it can't be changed now. Time to look forward to the next game and hope this was a one off. 

I'm loving how well our run has been, both domestically and Europa wise....minus these 2 Benfica games(of course). 

Great post btw 👍

3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Tav had an off game but it’s now clear we are a team that takes collective responsibility for failure so much so that our captain can put his hands up to his failure at the second goal and we are no longer hounding him or any player selectively.

We are a great team, Gerrard will become a manager in the mold of Shankly or Fergie. 

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Still kept his goal scoring up last night.:whistle:

After an initial nervy moments I though he did great.

I just don't get how nervous our defence looked. I know Benfica are a good footballing team who pass it around slick and can get in behind, but the nervous half-arsed balls/clearances that just went straight back to them in our defensive areas was baffling to me. I'm not just on about Tav, the whole unit looked uneasy.

I just don't get how nervous our defence looked. I know Benfica are a good footballing team who pass it around slick and can get in behind, but the nervous half-arsed balls/clearances that just went straight back to them in our defensive areas was baffling to me. I'm not just on about Tav, the whole unit looked uneasy.

They were knackered mate. We invited them on to us. Midfield also had run their race. 

Who has ever said that we are the finished article? I personally think that the level of performance this season has been nothing short of remarkable considering where we were such a short time ago with a manger standing shouting in a shrubbery after our worst ever European defeat. No "but" for me, undefeated in two games against Benfica and top of the group.

hqdefault.jpg

Just now, Jakes Pal said:

Who has ever said that we are the finished article? I personally think that the level of performance this season has been nothing short of remarkable considering where we were such a short time ago with a manger standing shouting in shrubbery after our worst ever European defeat. No "but" for me, undefeated in two games against Benfica and top of the group.

hqdefault.jpg

You say that like we don't know that though. It's two separate points/discussions to be had. It doesn't have to be one or the other. 

3 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

They were knackered mate. We invited them on to us. Midfield also had run their race. 

I agree. Hence why I think we should have made a couple of changes. Someone said a few comments ago (or maybe it was on another thread) we didn't freshen it up yet that made subs and that got them a result from nothing. 

I loathe to be too critical though, but it's just frustrating when it's not with the benefit of hindsight. 

I agree. Hence why I think we should have made a couple of changes. Someone said a few comments ago (or maybe it was on another thread) we didn't freshen it up yet that made subs and that got them a result from nothing. 

I loathe to be too critical though, but it's just frustrating when it's not with the benefit of hindsight. 

I genuinely thought once Roofe got us that brilliant second goal we would then relieve some of the players especially seeing Benfica change all 5. Not sure why SG thought we could manage, but there you have it. 

5 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

It doesn't have to be one or the other. 

I agree, just find it difficult to criticize after what we have been watching the last 7 years so I will not, even although we did not prove savvy enough to see the game out on both occasions, Gerrard should have beefed things up at the back in the closing stages, but work still very much in progress. It would be nice to think that there is still a good bit of improvement to come from both the playing squad and especially  the managerial team as they learn their trade.

Just now, Jakes Pal said:

I agree, just find it difficult to criticize after what we have been watching the last 7 years so I will not, even although we did not prove savvy enough to see the game out on both occasions, Gerrard should have beefed things up at the back in the closing stages, but work still very much in progress. It would be nice to think that there is still a good bit of improvement to come from both the playing squad and especially  the managerial team as they learn their trade.

Fair enough. 

That's exactly why I loathe to criticise and I don't really think I'm being critical, just making observations.

As I said, due to the season we've had, if the biggest low point of the season so far, almost half way through is two draws against Benfica in Europe, then we're doing something seriously well. 

11 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There were mistakes made on the park. There were mistakes made by Gerrard. Fair enough.

Previous game was brutal to lose a 2 goal lead to 10 men. Tonight their subs brought not only freshness but improvement in their play. 

But fucking hell they're as good a team as we've played in years, its a credit to us to come out even against a team that spent e100m this summer.

Big picture stuff here, we're on a great trajectory. 

Hear hear.the minute pizzi came on I feared the worst, some fuckin player that.without him last night, we win easily.  My only fear now is the liege late winner.had we won last night we would still have needed something  from the 2 remaining games, but I would take that everytime.

We are still in with a big shout,the tinks are fuckin out!!! 8-2 on aggregate against a middle of the road side.

Rangers 5 benfica 5. Nice. Well done the sons of William!

No Surrender 

Rab 

35 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

I thought the substitutions in the 3-3 draw with them was a factor in them getting back, it changed the game for their benefit. Suspect that was in Steve’s mind when we were 2-0 up. 

I think that's it mate.

3 weeks ago there was a lot complaints on here that the subs changed things for the worse and no doubt the backroom team will have considered that themselves.

So then last night I'm guessing the reluctance to make subs is to avoid rocking the boat again.

However after they scored their first and we seen the impact their subs had, we should've made changes. The judgement on when to pull the trigger or not will be something the manager learns over time and hopefully while he's here!

Anyway just goes to show Stevie's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!

Archived