Jump to content

Substitutions


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t get me wrong, Gerrard deserves a lot of credit just for the fact that here we are raging that we haven’t got two wins against a team who spent 100 million euros this season, when we feel we dese

Soon as Roofe scores subs should have been made there and then, we allowed them back into game because we were knackered. 

If we were just going to sit so deep we should have at least brought Helander on and gone 5 at the back This is the kind of shite he pulled in his first season managing us, the bench had 2 player

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Don’t get me wrong, Gerrard deserves a lot of credit just for the fact that here we are raging that we haven’t got two wins against a team who spent 100 million euros this season, when we feel we deserve them, and I would have bitten your arm off for two points from Benfica when the draw came out, but we are allowed FIVE subs in this tournament. Five. That is half the outfield team who can be replaced with fresh players, for a team absolutely dominating with a pressing game. What can possibly explain Gerrard’s reluctance to use them? Will he learn from this?

Probably the fact he used subs last time against them and was same outcome, if it wasn't the cup game this weekend i'm sure he would have used subs. 

Malkytfp1 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh it looked like he changed that domestically we’ve used 5 subs a couple of times this season and used subs well in other games like Kilmarnock etc. So frustrating that over the two games we’ve not seen it out. 
 

To say he doesn’t trust the players on the bench is laughable considering they’ve all played at pressure points this season. 

pollok-bear and TopCat like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

He's clearly progressed as a manager throughout his time here, we've clearly progressed a hundredfold in the past three years year on year, this season has been almost perfect - but it's easy to forget that Gerrard is still learning, particularly at the level Benfica represent. That quality of team is a challenge he hasn't faced with us. He tends to default to Rafa Benitez tactics, which on the whole set us up for success in Europe, but it also means he can be overly cautious. He seemingly doesn't make subs because he doesn't want to upset the team or change things up in case it backfires. 

He's been better at this so far this season in terms of knowing when to make subs but fell back on old (bad) habits tonight.

Bears likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it is okay to keep things the way they are. The bench was weaker. The only one who could maybe have freshened things was Hagi. 

I was fine keeping it the same. It wasn't the reason for us surrendering the lead. Pizzi was - he made the difference when he came on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Tbh it looked like he changed that domestically we’ve used 5 subs a couple of times this season and used subs well in other games like Kilmarnock etc. So frustrating that over the two games we’ve not seen it out. 
 

To say he doesn’t trust the players on the bench is laughable considering they’ve all played at pressure points this season. 

Easy to trust them against Hamilton but he has tonights 11 plus Jack, Aribo, Helander and Mcglaughlin he really trusts for Europa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Sometimes it is okay to keep things the way they are. The bench was weaker. The only one who could maybe have freshened things was Hagi. 

I was fine keeping it the same. It wasn't the reason for us surrendering the lead. Pizzi was - he made the difference when he came on.

We paid 3 million for Hagi, 2.5 million for Itten. Does he really not trust them to replace tired players?

BridgeIsBlue likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Easy to trust them against Hamilton but he has tonights 11 plus Jack, Aribo, Helander and Mcglaughlin he really trusts for Europa.

They’ve all played a part in pressure points of the season. Barker has played in Europe a few times as well. Massive overreaction to say he doesn’t trust the bench when Hagi, Barker, Helander and Bassey off the top of my head have all played in Europe under Gerrard. In fact Basseys best performance was Leige away so absolute nonsense to say he doesn’t trust them

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 11 March 2021 17:55 Until 19:55
      0  
      Slavia Prague v Rangers
      Eden Arena
      Europa League

×
×
  • Create New...