Substitutions

JamieD

Don’t get me wrong, Gerrard deserves a lot of credit just for the fact that here we are raging that we haven’t got two wins against a team who spent 100 million euros this season, when we feel we deserve them, and I would have bitten your arm off for two points from Benfica when the draw came out, but we are allowed FIVE subs in this tournament. Five. That is half the outfield team who can be replaced with fresh players, for a team absolutely dominating with a pressing game. What can possibly explain Gerrard’s reluctance to use them? Will he learn from this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Don’t get me wrong, Gerrard deserves a lot of credit just for the fact that here we are raging that we haven’t got two wins against a team who spent 100 million euros this season, when we feel we deserve them, and I would have bitten your arm off for two points from Benfica when the draw came out, but we are allowed FIVE subs in this tournament. Five. That is half the outfield team who can be replaced with fresh players, for a team absolutely dominating with a pressing game. What can possibly explain Gerrard’s reluctance to use them? Will he learn from this?

Probably the fact he used subs last time against them and was same outcome, if it wasn't the cup game this weekend i'm sure he would have used subs. 

Tbh it looked like he changed that domestically we’ve used 5 subs a couple of times this season and used subs well in other games like Kilmarnock etc. So frustrating that over the two games we’ve not seen it out. 

To say he doesn’t trust the players on the bench is laughable considering they’ve all played at pressure points this season. 

Sometimes it is okay to keep things the way they are. The bench was weaker. The only one who could maybe have freshened things was Hagi. 

I was fine keeping it the same. It wasn't the reason for us surrendering the lead. Pizzi was - he made the difference when he came on.

8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Tbh it looked like he changed that domestically we’ve used 5 subs a couple of times this season and used subs well in other games like Kilmarnock etc. So frustrating that over the two games we’ve not seen it out. 

To say he doesn’t trust the players on the bench is laughable considering they’ve all played at pressure points this season. 

Easy to trust them against Hamilton but he has tonights 11 plus Jack, Aribo, Helander and Mcglaughlin he really trusts for Europa.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Sometimes it is okay to keep things the way they are. The bench was weaker. The only one who could maybe have freshened things was Hagi. 

I was fine keeping it the same. It wasn't the reason for us surrendering the lead. Pizzi was - he made the difference when he came on.

We paid 3 million for Hagi, 2.5 million for Itten. Does he really not trust them to replace tired players?

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Easy to trust them against Hamilton but he has tonights 11 plus Jack, Aribo, Helander and Mcglaughlin he really trusts for Europa.

They’ve all played a part in pressure points of the season. Barker has played in Europe a few times as well. Massive overreaction to say he doesn’t trust the bench when Hagi, Barker, Helander and Bassey off the top of my head have all played in Europe under Gerrard. In fact Basseys best performance was Leige away so absolute nonsense to say he doesn’t trust them

27 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Soon as Roofe scores subs should have been made there and then, we allowed them back into game because we were knackered. 

thats the point the midfield was knackered but who do you bring on we had no midfielders on the bench  

Archived