Alfie ain’t the player he was last season

AlCapone

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much to like about his play last night. But others rotating positions with him do similar but still seem to get more chances than he does. I'm desperate to see him manage to do both the great link up play and scoring.

Best game of season for us last night but much more to come from him.

He has stepped up his game a lot recently which is superb but threads like this show that people underestimate how good he was last season tbh.

In saying that we literally had one way of attacking last year which was through Morelos. We are far more dynamic this year which is a bonus.

5 minutes ago, Sket said:

I dont see how he can be better this season than last. Everything he done last night he was doing this time last year and he was scoring. Can't buy a goal.

Pretty much this.

He was also beating his man for fun last year.

31 minutes ago, Sket said:

He's nowhere near the level he was at last year and tbh I don't think he will get there again.

Agreed, though tbf much of that is for reasons outwith his control. He was at that level because the whole team structure was to support him doing what he did. Worked brilliantly for him and the team up to a point. But then when he went off the boil or was out we'd no alternative.

It’s right for the team to never put all our eggs in the one basket. The team has moved on, unfortunately for Morelos its at the cost of him being the focal point. We won't go back the way, he needs to find scoring form within the new rotational forward system.

32 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Must be the first ever Rangers CF not to be judged on their goals.

Maybe so but im not sure any other CF was played as much out wide as Morelos is, so perhaps its about us learning to judge overall contribution not just goals.

46 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Agreed, though tbf much of that is for reasons outwith his control. He was at that level because the whole team structure was to support him doing what he did. Worked brilliantly for him and the team up to a point. But then when he went off the boil or was out we'd no alternative.

It’s right for the team to never put all our eggs in the one basket. The team has moved on, unfortunately for Morelos its at the cost of him being the focal point. We won't go back the way, he needs to find scoring form within the new rotational forward system.

Spot on tbh.

Last year everything went through him when we attacked which showcased him perfectly. Now he is a cog (still an important one) in a dynamic system and we are better for it.

8 hours ago, HG5 said:

I watched him a lot on Sunday, after a remark my lad made that he had 3 or 4 men on him at times (what were the rest doing with all that space then....?😂).

But watch I did & there were numerous occasions where he was in 10 to 20 yards of space, through the middle & he was simply ignored.

Not sure if the rest have decided it’s not all about the £20m man any more & have decided to boost their own contributions or what, but it seems to be working, one way or another.

I'm glad someone else has noticed this too. I'm pretty sure it's team instructions and nothing more than that. Last season we had 1 option.....so we HAD to cross to him. It's different this season. However, as I've said.....that shouldn't stop us passing to him at all.... especially when he is in a great position like he was last night!

15 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

I'm glad someone else has noticed this too. I'm pretty sure it's team instructions and nothing more than that. Last season we had 1 option.....so we HAD to cross to him. It's different this season. However, as I've said.....that shouldn't stop us passing to him at all.... especially when he is in a great position like he was last night!

Yes!

Better choice of options is great.

The trick then becomes picking the best one!

He did play well last night, held up the ball far better than he did at the weekend.

There was a few times were I'd have liked to have seen him stand up the defender he had isolated in that position at the edge of the box that he's so dangerous in. But he opted to pass.  

Thought he played really well last night, he all over the final third and it really helps the team’s link up play and ability to get up the park.

Only thing he was missing was a goal and he was unlucky in that respect. Now he has adapted for the better, he needs to adapt again slightly to get the goals back in to his game.

9 hours ago, AlCapone said:

Yip, he’s even better this season. No longer the isolated centre forward that the team shape depended on to be on top of his game and suffered if he wasn’t. Still got a bit to go to iron out his new style of play but his dropping deep, link up play and stamina combined with last seasons qualities he still has had made him an even better player. He now fits better into the overall game plan and become more of a team player.

Another reason why this seasons team is much better, able to match the quality of Benfica over two games and be disappointed at not beating them. 

Another pat on the back for the coaching team.

Couldn’t agree more. As much as the first half of last season he was single handedly bodying teams and winning us games, this season he’s brought much more out of the full team. Does help having players like Roofe around him. And giving guys like Kent, Aribo, Arfield the space to do damage 

13 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I’ll repeat what i said last month too.

Resting Morelos is detrimental to his form.

He benefits from playing week in week out and getting into a groove.

I’d start him at Falkirk and try get him a goal or two and sub off on 60th minute.

I'd start him as well mate. Get him among the goals 👍

Last season he was a selfish player, playing for himself and the possibility of a big money move, so he was finding the goal more often

This season he is more of a team player and passes the ball a lot more often and drags defenders out of position. Some of the opposition teams haven't yet worked out that he isn't our main striker and still double up on him.

I reckon his goals will come back, he's just in a transitional/ developmental period at the moment.

Archived