The smallest minded country in the world

RFC55

This is everything that is wrong with Scottish football fandom, especially at an international level. Anyone but England.

When England were losing to Croatia in the World Cup semi final all the Scotland fans cared about was getting it up England rather than looking at Croatia's achievement and asking why as a similar sized nation cannot do the same? Wales and Northern Ireland have outshone Scotland in the last decade and all they care about is England. They're an absolute riddy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea. 

Would like to see us celebrate a Thierry Henri day against the tims. 

They were both only doing the same as 99.9% of footballers would want to do in a similar position.(The other 0.1% is Gary Lineker, but he's lying).

4 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

This is everything that is wrong with Scottish football fandom, especially at an international level. Anyone but England.

When England were losing to Croatia in the World Cup semi final all the Scotland fans cared about was getting it up England rather than looking at Croatia's achievement and asking why as a similar sized nation cannot do the same? Wales and Northern Ireland have outshone Scotland in the last decade and all they care about is England. They're an absolute riddy.

Surely it’s about rivalry? I take it you cheer the tarriers on in European competitions then?

4 hours ago, tannerall said:

Great idea. 

They were both only doing the same as 99.9% of footballers would want to do in a similar position.(The other 0.1% is Gary Lineker, but he's lying).

Pretty sure Thierry Henry song was sung at our away game after he handballed it against Ireland 

On 27/11/2020 at 01:31, BridgeIsBlue said:

Shilton should've jumped the greeting faced wank. 

I only seen the goal properly for the first time a few days ago and that was my first thought. The stupid bastard takes ages to come off his line and when he does he does a pishy wee hop to try and win it. Correct me if I’m wrong but in the 80s I’m sure a keeper could’ve come out and flattened the striker in that position and nothing would’ve been said about it.

How that useless bastard got as many caps as he did, on that showing, is beyond me.

14 hours ago, tannerall said:

Great idea. 

The mental thing is Henry scored with his hand against us and not an eyebrow was raised.

10 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Surely it’s about rivalry? I take it you cheer the tarriers on in European competitions then?

Absolutely. Got to think of the coefficient. I was saddened to see them get rode rotten by Sparta.

Yes it's about rivarly, my issue is that it consumes them, a bit like celtic fans actually. Like celtic with us I fully believe Scotland fans would rather see England lose at any level than Scotland be successful. That I find pretty pathetic!

1 hour ago, ScottBF2 said:

I only seen the goal properly for the first time a few days ago and that was my first thought. The stupid bastard takes ages to come off his line and when he does he does a pishy wee hop to try and win it. Correct me if I’m wrong but in the 80s I’m sure a keeper could’ve come out and flattened the striker in that position and nothing would’ve been said about it.

How that useless bastard got as many caps as he did, on that showing, is beyond me.

The best British goalkeeper of all time and the best in the world while at Forest 

I love people getting wound up about these type of stories, clearly dreamed up by a bored journo working from his kitchen table during lockdown.

When something begins with 'the Tartan Army are planning' you can basically stop reading. He's basically pulled three quotes from a Facebook page, from complete randoms, the day after Maradona's funeral and created a story.

The quote saying Maradona was 'voted' player of the year by the Tartan Army is hilarious - there's a novelty T shirt that does the rounds with a POTY for every year with some jokey reference to something that has impacted England that year - it's very tongue in cheek and hardly represents a 'vote'. 

I guess the folk annoyed at this must go into complete meltdown every time Chris Mutton opens his mouth - but I suppose without that type of reaction, these 'journalist' would be out of a job. So seeth on, at least your keeping some talented no mark of the streets this winter!! 

51 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

I love people getting wound up about these type of stories, clearly dreamed up by a bored journo working from his kitchen table during lockdown.

When something begins with 'the Tartan Army are planning' you can basically stop reading. He's basically pulled three quotes from a Facebook page, from complete randoms, the day after Maradona's funeral and created a story.

The quote saying Maradona was 'voted' player of the year by the Tartan Army is hilarious - there's a novelty T shirt that does the rounds with a POTY for every year with some jokey reference to something that has impacted England that year - it's very tongue in cheek and hardly represents a 'vote'. 

I guess the folk annoyed at this must go into complete meltdown every time Chris Mutton opens his mouth - but I suppose without that type of reaction, these 'journalist' would be out of a job. So seeth on, at least your keeping some talented no mark of the streets this winter!! 

You cant deny there are a fair few in the "tartan army" whose only knowledge of maradona is "the hand of god" goal and they revel in it because it was against england. They are the sort who wouldnt even recognise the genius of the 2nd goal in that game. They are a minority but there are some who dont particularly care much for football, its all about the trips, hating the english and dressing up. Ive always hoped the "hand of god" thing never happened. Not cos it helped beat england, couldnt care less about that, but because whenever maradona was spoken of it was used to try and detract from the player he was. 

40 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

You cant deny there are a fair few in the "tartan army" whose only knowledge of maradona is "the hand of god" goal and they revel in it because it was against england. They are the sort who wouldnt even recognise the genius of the 2nd goal in that game. They are a minority but there are some who dont particularly care much for football, its all about the trips, hating the english and dressing up. Ive always hoped the "hand of god" thing never happened. Not cos it helped beat england, couldnt care less about that, but because whenever maradona was spoken of it was used to try and detract from the player he was. 

Would agree with everything you said. Which is why there won't be a mass Maradona 'celebration' in June when Scotland play England

There are obviously quite a few within the Scotland support who hate England and identify in that way but I think the numbers have decreased significantly, more so post the referendum. The English are still the biggest rival for Scots supporters but the whole 'McGlashan' mentality has really faded away. I think the English fixation on beating the Germans rather than the Scots has also taken away the heat from the rivalry.

As for Maradona, agree with you that the Hand of God thing detracts from his legacy - but going by the Linekar documentary it seems to have meant a lot to him, going by the portrait in his house of him in that position surrounded by angels.

My memory will always be of seeing him at Hampden, shaping to cross the ball and the entire celtic end craning to see the cross come in and the wee fucker hit the ball into the net at the near post. Any player that can send, not only the defence, but also the crowd the wrong way is someone truly special!!

Archived