*****The Official Rangers v Standard Liege Thread*****

G.E.C.

i don't think we can under-estimate the psychological impact of being so poor against a good quality side for a large proportion of the match, coming back twice, leading and then holding out to win the match

that will help drive the players on in the future when things aren't going our way, and show them that they can never give up

i was pissed off at the start of the match, but they deserve a huge amount of credit

no one on the planet can be at the top of their game 100% of the time, but it's how you persevere in times like this which separates champions and losers 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Swally said:

i don't think we can under-estimate the psychological impact of being so poor against a good quality side for a large proportion of the match, coming back twice, leading and then holding out to win the match

that will help drive the players on in the future when things aren't going our way, and show them that they can never give up

i was pissed off at the start of the match, but they deserve a huge amount of credit

no one on the planet can be at the top of their game 100% of the time, but it's how you persevere in times like this which separates champions and losers 

Over-estimate? I may be too drunk now, but my logic circuits can’t decide which is right.

edit: yep, probably too drunk! Lol

Biggest win of the season, including the Old Firm.

We played like a plate of cold piss in the first half but still somehow got in at 2-2, and then rallied in the second half and completely bossed it. Was very pleased with the tactical shift from the gaffer as well.

My concern with this team has always been that we are a great footballing unit but we have a glass jaw. This was reinforced with the two quick goals Benfica pulled back in both their games. Tonight went a long way to putting my fears to bed.

A happy, happy Bear here.

37 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

In October Scotland played 3 games in 6 days and he started two and came on as a late sub in one.

He’s 28 year old ffs.

At a time Jack desperately needed game time - that international break hugely benefited him and us (which is easy to forget in hindsight). He also cleary thrives in being part of the international set up.

3 hours ago, Mafeking St. said:

Big shout for Rangers coaching staff today, after getting out played in the first half they changed the system and brought Kent deeper and went to a 4 4 2 . Won the midfield battle and ultimately the game.

Yup.

Also had Roofe dropping onto their big number 20 when they had the ball.

A win that tells us more about our squad than 3 or 4 -0 canters . Like rugby park a few weeks back the team are showing signs of digging deep and getting results when not firing on all cylinders , how winning teams are made . On to Sunday now Rangers :UK:

1 hour ago, They Gnu said:

We really have to be much quicker turning defence into attack, both Liege and Benfica were excellent at it. Too many times players are checking and passing square or back. 

To be fair we have been much better at it this season than previously and when we get it correct we are as good as any team. SG and his staff obviously work on this, but I do take your point that we need to keep working on it so we do it effectively more often. 

9 hours ago, Swally said:

The other thing it does is dishearten your rivals who are hoping you start losing games. They start to think we cant be beaten and they give up the chase (psychologically at least).

17 minutes ago, Brubear said:

To be fair we have been much better at it this season than previously and when we get it correct we are as good as any team. SG and his staff obviously work on this, but I do take your point that we need to keep working on it so we do it effectively more often. 

We have definitely improved but it’s a work in progress. With Goldson more than capable of hitting a long pass id like to see us go long more often when the opposition are pressing but atm it’s not sticking to Alfredo.

Kent has been poor for several weeks now but his assist last night was fantastic. Easy option would have been to lash it across the face of goal for Morelos but to have the composure to see Arfield running in late and play an inch perfect cut back to him was sensational. Was not an easy pass at all. Vision, timing and weight was superb. 

8 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Kent has been poor for several weeks now but his assist last night was fantastic. Easy option would have been to lash it across the face of goal for Morelos but to have the composure to see Arfield running in late and play an inch perfect cut back to him was sensational. Was not an easy pass at all. Vision, timing and weight was superb. 

Kents been poor recently and its summed up by the goal you reference. All he does is uses his sharpness and pace to get beyond the fullback, nothing flashy, doesn't go back to throw another step over or dummy at the guy, just gets on the end of the through ball and picks out a great assist.

Two previous occasions in the match he was in similar positions and it was Ryan Kent Circa 18/19. Had to go back and beat the guy again rather than using the half yard to pick out a cross or take on the shot.

Ryan Kent is frighteningly good when he just does the basic wing play rather than trying to slalom his way through entire teams.......twice.

I wish Kent had Hagis brain or that Hagi had Kents pace over 5 yards.

10 hours ago, Swally said:

I really hope you are right that the mental strength of the team is changing, it crossed my mind during the first half that we were slipping back when under pressure to get a result, but they came good in the end.

While I am still taking nothing for granted it is encouraging to get that great result. :thumbup:

27 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Why are you ignoring his knee issue and other injury concerns? His age is irrelevant. 

He came on as a sub in the 89th minute, fucking hell. :lol:

You claimed he can start both Thursday and Sunday and has done for Scotland, which was incorrect.

So Ryan Jack can’t play Sunday, Thursday, Sunday for Rangers? Are you fucking kidding?

Did he not play against Benfica, Hamilton and Serbia in less than a week last month?

Archived