Steven Davis

Clemdog

I can't count on my two hands how many times I've written him off.

But there was flashbacks to the 2008 European Run with his touches tonight. 

Winning the ball back in Liege's half, finding space when most players couldn't and pushing the team forward. 

A fantastic performance and I've not even mentioned Kamara...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

I can't count on my two hands how many times I've written him off.

But there was flashbacks to the 2008 European Run with his touches tonight. 

Winning the ball back in Liege's half, finding space when most players couldn't and pushing the team forward. 

A fantastic performance and I've not even mentioned Kamara...

Fancied Zungu replacing him at 1/2 time - but he was excellent 2nd half.

Has quality no doubt, but I think against top teams in Europe we can lack a bit of presence and mobility in midfield when he just sits in.

Not knocking him - but I do think these days he's better suited to teams that sit in against us domestically rather than athletic teams that press us high.

Tonight I thought he struggled but I can't hold it against him because, IMO, only Arfield & Kamara got pass marks for me overall playing the way they should given the high standards we've set (made the same point there in the match thread)

However, I agree with the gist that he always get wrote off and he's still got something to offer us. He is valuable to us.

He's not done just yet.

It's no shame not being the player he was 10 years ago, he's still got class and can pick a pass but at times his age shows. 

He shouldn't be a huge peice of our team going forward and he will need replaced soon but not a bad option to have in some games that suit his strengths. Tonight wasn't one of them 

I don't think anyone performed massively well in the first half, but I do think he got control of the game in the second half. 

Which is exactly what we needed our midfield to do.

Massively composed and as others have mentioned finds space when others can't. 

I think there are games where Davis can be useful but fast paced European games are not really for him anymore.  He doesn't have the legs, lacks physicality and his decision making process has slowed right down.  The time he takes to gather the ball and look for a forward pass is ridiculously bad.  He ends up passing backwards most of the time because of this.  There was even a couple of points in the game where he dropped between the centre halfs to pass from one to the other.

Was tremendous and I think some of the criticism of him is ott. 

He was poor first half, but who wasn't..

2nd half was exceptional. Had so many good performances this season and was tremendous pre Christmas last year. I genuinely think when he's on it we play our best football.

We need to use him in the important games. Invaluable member of the squad 

4 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Saying he’s done is a load of pish! 🤣I’ll take £20 with anybody that the gaffer will want him here next season. Unless he retires, he’s nailed on for another year with us. 

I'll take that bet if you mean as a regular first team player. I wouldn't be against him staying as an emergency replacement, or as a coach. 

Archived