Our opponents in Europe

CoplandRoad83

Let's not forget the context of our fantastic recent record: we have played some good teams in Europe recently and don't let anyone tell us otherwise.

"Porto are shite, not the team they were" - made it to knockout of Champions League this year.

FC Midgetland - made it to CL this year.

Galatasaray with big name players - disposed of in qualifiers.

Benfica - worth 200M odd squad value.

That team tonight were no mugs either and are probably better than anything we will face domestically again.

Add to the list of last year (Braga, Feyenoord, Young Boys etc)  and it goes on and on. We are beating teams that are strong, with dangerous players and its a phenomenal record. 

We have had a few false dawns so we have had that nagging doubt at the back of our minds and have been waiting on it unraveling. I think this is the real thing now and it is proved by the teams we have went toe to toe with and come out the other side smiling. We have a skillful, hard working team with a good spirit and we must be considered one of the better teams in Europe. Not many would want to face us.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Its 1 million for the group winners and 500K for the runners up.

We have got the 500K for being at least second, so 500K still up for grabs in Poland for topping in the group.

500k for winning the game, with a further 500k if we win the group, so there's £1m up for grabs.  With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers go all out to beat Poznan.

22 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I know it"s nowhere close to the team of '92 but the team spirit is similar.

I don't know. I've been watching Rangers for around 50 years and I'm watching some of the best football I've seen from a Rangers team. I'm not saying they're better than 92 team but some of the football this year has been a joy to watch. 

1 minute ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

I don't know. I've been watching Rangers for around 50 years and I'm watching some of the best football I've seen from a Rangers team. I'm not saying they're better than 92 team but some of the football this year has been a joy to watch. 

Its all relative, but in '92 we had some of the best players in Britain and would have won the English league that year as well. Takes nothing away from our current achievements and like you say, the football this side plays is a joy at times. 

I think it is absolutely crazy to say this but I always feel more confident nowadays when we play in Europe than I did when we were one of the biggest spenders in world football back in the 90s. Names like zizkhov and Bucharest haunt my childhood. These days we are much too professional to let these teams win. 

Archived