Our opponents in Europe

CoplandRoad83

29 minutes ago, sco22y said:

I think it is absolutely crazy to say this but I always feel more confident nowadays when we play in Europe than I did when we were one of the biggest spenders in world football back in the 90s. Names like zizkhov and Bucharest haunt my childhood. These days we are much too professional to let these teams win. 

I agree mate. We had teams worth millions in terms of talent but you always felt like a difficult away tie in Turkey etc would be a disaster.  Our legends knew how to win domestically inside out, but I think the team we have now understand the levels of professionalism you need to meet to match European teams that work to that standard. We were lambs the to the slaughter with our drinking culture against a hard training regimented and talented Juventus team of 90s and I say that loving the legendary team and manager we had at the time. 

I totally agree. Our mad drinking culture did not help us at all. Looking back to certain games but especially our AEK Athens games (Laudrup and Boli euro debuts) and trying to explain this to my 15 year old boy, it's like us getting beat off of Progres all over again. Except we were absolutely minted at the time. This would not happen now. 

The start we have had to this season is utterly remarkable and in my 35 years of watching us I don’t recall a better period of form. Not just results but performances as well. 

Given the Scottish games current stature in world football, given where we were before Gerrard came in, given the levels of cash we have spent and the gulf between our finances and the teams we are playing in Europe it all just adds up to a legitimate claim that this is a better team than many that have gone before.  

In my opinion our individual players are not superstars, there are no top tier players in our squad (in European terms) but the way we are drilled, coached, trained and managed means the collective is greater than the sum of the individual parts. 

That being said. Without trophies, it’s little more than window dressing. Good for the finances and thrilling to witness, but meaningless otherwise. 

I want the lot this year. The domestic treble is very possible on current form and achieving it will place this team and it’s coaching staff and managers in infamy and legend. 

One game at a time. 

I’m almost 50 and while Iv saw 2 amazing European runs 92 and 08 they were almost isolated achievements.

This side and system is the most consistent Iv witnessed .Fair enough it EL Level and not CL .We are well organised at the back and can still pose a threat going forward .saw many teams of a so called lower level teach us lessons over the years and thought ,why can’t we do that .

Well at last we can .

10 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Around 500K for qualifying, another 500K for the win. Should we win in Poland another 500K and 500K extra for being group winners.

Thats without tv figures that we get more of as the scum are out.

The 10m turnover gap between us and the scum is reducing at a rapid rate. 

Archived