Ibrox Turf

First off, great result tonight! Great character shown and fantastic to be sitting top of the group and having qualified.

One thing that is a slight concern for me though is that the pitch at Ibrox is looking a bit worse for wear already. I actually thought our massive dip in form last year that was attributed to the winter break was actually more down to our pitch becoming absolutely shite and interrupting our passing game and confidence.

I hope that they will be able to maintain it to a decent level over the next few months as we need every advantage we can to make sure we dont drop any silly points.

9 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

First off, great result tonight! Great character shown and fantastic to be sitting top of the group and having qualified.

One thing that is a slight concern for me though is that the pitch at Ibrox is looking a bit worse for wear already. I actually thought our massive dip in form last year that was attributed to the winter break was actually more down to our pitch becoming absolutely shite and interrupting our passing game and confidence.

I hope that they will be able to maintain it to a decent level over the next few months as we need every advantage we can to make sure we dont drop any silly points.

Be hard now that winter is properly setting in, not sure there’s too many home games coming up in quick succession so as you say can hopefully be well maintained while we’re not using it

11 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Canny really do much when its pishing down day after day

I did actually comment on this to my brother during the match that it was looking patchy and was worried as it wasn't great last year over winter and into February.

Hopefully with us having a few away games coming up it helps the pitch but let's be honest we need to be able to win ugly over winter months as most pitches will be shite so no excuses.

10 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I was surprised tonight how bad it looked, I wonder why a pitch, I think was laid new before the season started is showing so much wear. I know we have a lot of rain but thought it should be holding up better. 

They did maintenance just before last football season was called,

Just now, Sweetheart said:

How do the grounds men protect the pitch in winter? Do they use one of these?

image.png.eb22e8c42db492f16adff3d10ae258a6.png

Was thinking they must cover it with something when harsh weather is forecast... was in argyle house just before this current lockdown & noticed they had heaters on the pitch

Last year the grass on the pitch had a disease which we could basically do fuck all about.

Tonight it was noticably brown in patches but looked just like general and seasonal deterioration. Up close it looked fine and after watching 90 minutes of football on it not once did it cut up. Nobodyn slipped and the ball ran true.

To reiterate. Last season was a grass disease. Tonight was just Scotland. A non-issue thankfuly.

Just now, Glory awaits said:

Was thinking they must cover it with something when harsh weather is forecast... was in argyle house just before this current lockdown & noticed they had heaters on the pitch

Would love RTV to do a story on how Rangers manage the pitch in winter.

1 minute ago, Jamie0202 said:

Last year the grass on the pitch had a disease which we could basically do fuck all about.

Tonight it was noticably brown in patches but looked just like general and seasonal deterioration. Up close it looked fine and after watching 90 minutes of football on it not once did it cut up. Nobodyn slipped and the ball ran true.

To reiterate. Last season was a rass disease. Tonight was just Scotland. A non-issue thankfuly.

So your saying our pitch has Covid. What a fucking year.

I mind back in the day, late 90s or early 2000s, our groundstaff were so revered in the trade that lads studying greenkeeping were taken to ibrox for tours and talks on how they were doing it. 

Do we play more games nowadays? Or does the pitch see more traffic in general?

4 minutes ago, Glory awaits said:

Could the height of the stands & the closeness of them to the pitch be the problem, can’t be getting much sunlight in there at this time of year.

They use lamps that are mounted on a canopy that can be moved up and down the pitch

Lamps.jpg

Archived