Rangers UEFA Cup 2008 v Rangers Europa League 2020

coldo89

Without getting too far ahead of ourselves, we all now know what a formidable team we are right now. However we have no silverware currently to show for it but for fun and interested to hear what people think. Who wins this match? 

I genuinely feel our team right now breaks down the wall of 2008 and the score is 1-0.

Which team is better?

7 minutes ago, coldo89 said:

Without getting too far ahead of ourselves, we all now know what a formidable team we are right now. However we have no silverware currently to show for it but for fun and interested to hear what people think. Who wins this match? 

I genuinely feel our team right now breaks down the wall of 2008 and the score is 1-0.

Which team is better?

2008. 100%. Fuck, we even have 2 shadows of that squad in our current squad.

It’s an interesting question. The 2008 side may sneak it in a head to head purely because that defence was ridiculous at times. 

However, I think our current side play in a much better way and would arguably have given that Zenit side a much closer game...

3 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

It’s an interesting question. The 2008 side may sneak it in a head to head purely because that defence was ridiculous at times. 

However, I think our current side play in a much better way and would arguably have given that Zenit side a much closer game...

This one are as stingey as fuck 😂😂

That team was better, but I don't think they would've found it easy against this team. 

What you can say is there are quite a few players in this team that would get into that one. Barisic, Tav, Morelos, Kamara would be in with a big shout. And for all Walter was an amazing manager, I think we gave a more tactically aware coaching team now.

I hated the way Smith decided to play the final. Yes Zenit were better but we basically played for penalties.

Are Broadfoot, Whittaker & Darcheville better than Tavernier, Aribo & Morelos? I think not.

Are Cuellar, Ferguson and Davis (young) better than Helander, Arfield & Davis (old)?Yes they are.

It would be a close game. This current squad are pretty good and will be measured when we win something.

Interesting question . 

My instant answer was 2008 , but the more I think about it I'm not so sure .

If you look at the manner in which we've beaten some quality teams , its not so clear cut . Likewise last season , against teams that then went on to make the CL group stages . 

I think this seasons might just edge it.  

Both have very different qualities but right now you would have to say the 2008 side because what they ended up doing and what the majority of that squad ended up doing the next three seasons.

I'd say the 2008 are a better fit up against teams from the top 5 nations as was proven against Stuttgart, Lyon, Barcelona, Werder Bremen & Fiorentina. That was probably down to our style of play and the fact that the financial gap just isn't as big as it is today, though it was big even then.

The latter point is why I don't think this team will reach the heights of the 2008 team because the gap financially is so much more bigger than it was even then. I think Bayer Leverkusen showed that and I do think in the Europa League there are about 4 or 5 "Leverkusens" and that's before we talk about the Champions League.

For me there is no doubt this is the strongest squad we've had since 2008!

We’re a better footballing team now than we were back then. That’s more as a result of the game itself becoming very advanced, play being structured into the fine details in both defence and attack.

As a unit, though, the 07/08 squad was defensively sound and quite ruthless in attack. Daniel Cousin on his day could turn in a peak Morelos performance, the midfield had it all, and we all know about the back line.

Current team edges it for me, we’ve got players who can drag teams out of position. Pound for pound it’s either equal or ‘08 slightly in front, but the way we play is clinical at times.

Archived