Europa last 32

Flatcap

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after looking at who can finish first and second in the groups and what CL teams you can get depending on what place we finish in I think it would be massively beneficial for us to finish first.

Right now it feels like we can beat anyone but I'd much rather get the "easiest" tie as possible in the last 32. 

Beat Lech Poznan and hopefully Spurs beat Royal Antwerp, Leverkusen beat Slavia Prague and AZ beat Rijeka.

If that happens we could be looking at Young Boys, Molde, Slavia Prague, PSV/Granada, AZ, Braga, AC Milan, Maccabi/Sivasspor, Antwerp, Woflsburger, Red Star, Krasnodar, Salzburg, Dynamo Kiev & Olympiakos.

Now in all honesty out of that list there are only three or four (max) that would be a tough draw. If we finish second there is much more potential for us to face sides from the top 4 or 5 leagues!

37 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

So after looking at who can finish first and second in the groups and what CL teams you can get depending on what place we finish in I think it would be massively beneficial for us to finish first.

Right now it feels like we can beat anyone but I'd much rather get the "easiest" tie as possible in the last 32. 

Beat Lech Poznan and hopefully Spurs beat Royal Antwerp, Leverkusen beat Slavia Prague and AZ beat Rijeka.

If that happens we could be looking at Young Boys, Molde, Slavia Prague, PSV/Granada, AZ, Braga, AC Milan, Maccabi/Sivasspor, Antwerp, Woflsburger, Red Star, Krasnodar, Salzburg, Dynamo Kiev & Olympiakos.

Now in all honesty out of that list there are only three or four (max) that would be a tough draw. If we finish second there is much more potential for us to face sides from the top 4 or 5 leagues!

I looked at this last night and posted that there is a huge advantage in terms of the draw if we win the group, never mind the money. Get it done Rangers. 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

If ever there was a year to get the big English sides .It’s this season .What a great test that would be for our club .

Great experience for our team and coaching staff too. Would hold us in good stead going forward.

Would also promote some of our talent too which is a big deal considering the money they have down there.

Man U pumped Leipzig 5-0 not long ago. If it was a knockout tie over two legs they would have went through with a 4 goal margin.

That's against a team who are 1 point behind in the Bundesliga, and finished two places above a team that strolled it against us.

They blow hot and cold and are one to definitely avoid imo.

44 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

Wouldn't mind knocking Dynamo out given the coefficient gains that would bring 

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Only downside to that is travelling to Ukraine.

Hopefully Braga beat Zorya tonight, we win and the scum get a draw as that would put us back ahead of Ukraine. Then it's us trying to outscore DK and Shakhtar.

If those results occurred tonight and we were to draw Molde/Tel Aviv and Kiev get Spurs/United and Shakhtar draw AC Milan. I think we would be in a good position to steal that 11th spot. Can only hope!

I love a bit of conjecture when it comes to European draws and coefficients 🙂

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Only downside to that is travelling to Ukraine.

Hopefully Braga beat Zorya tonight, we win and the scum get a draw as that would put us back ahead of Ukraine. Then it's us trying to outscore DK and Shakhtar.

If those results occurred tonight and we were to draw Molde/Tel Aviv and Kiev get Spurs/United and Shakhtar draw AC Milan. I think we would be in a good position to steal that 11th spot. Can only hope!

The journey's not that bad mate. Done Kiev before fairly recently and it's a quality city. Easily one of the best I've been to. 

From memory it was only about 3 hours from London and it was a canter. No difference than to maybe Lisbon or Malaga. 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Not still brutal conditions weather wise though in early February in Ukraine mate? Wouldn't want to play in those freezing conditions.

I think it was a November time I was there so in the winter and it wasn't too bad but aye there's always a risk of it being snow and minus 10 or something but I think we'd cope. 

16 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Will we be saying this next year if we finish 3rd in our CL group?

Some probably will tbh mate. Every single season when the qualifiers are announced you get folk in our support saying "don't care about Europe this year" etc etc. 

Some of my best ever times as a Rangers supporter is these European nights and that's before getting started on the prestige and additional income etc. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Updated potential opponents.

Crvena zvezda (SRB), Dynamo Kyiv (UKR), Krasnodar (RUS), Olympiacos (GRE), Salzburg (AUT), Young Boys (SUI), Molde (NOR), Slavia Prague (CZE), Granada (ESP), Sociedad(ESP), Leicester (ENG)/Braga (POR), Lille (FRA)/Milan (ITA), Tel Aviv (ISR)/Sivasspor (TUR), Antwerp(NED)/Spurs(ENG) or Wolfsberger (AUT)/Feyenoord (NED)

Will update the list after the results later tonight.

I'm sure this is a dumb question - but can a team draw their group opponent, i.e. can we get Benfica in the last 32 

12 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Crvena zvezda (SRB), Dynamo Kyiv (UKR), Krasnodar (RUS), Olympiacos (GRE), Salzburg (AUT), Young Boys (SUI), Molde (NOR), Slavia Prague (CZE), Granada (ESP), Sociedad(ESP), Leicester (ENG)/Braga (POR), Lille (FRA)/Milan (ITA), Tel Aviv (ISR)/Sivasspor (TUR), Antwerp(NED)/Spurs(ENG) or Wolfsberger (AUT)/Feyenoord (NED)

I'd like Leicester.  Would like to avoid Spurs. 

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Can clubs from the same country be drawn together?

Archived