Bottlers

GOAT

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

Could not believe how bad Bassey was. Absolutely done by a tarrier who's maw and dad are brother and sister. 

Worst game he's had from us didn't even stand up to the physical battle yet he's not frail built boy.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, King Jela said:

Could not believe how bad Bassey was. Absolutely done by a tarrier who's maw and dad are brother and sister. 

He has been good in every other game he's played this season.  Last night was Bassey's first poor performance to my mind.  It's a shame to see the lad is being thrown under the bus and written off by many on here because there is potential there.  Like the vast majority of young players globally he will have poor games but our fans just don't have the patience for it.  

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

Zungu is worth more than St.Mirren's entire football club.  So what makes you think Rangers couldn't afford to rest Bassey and Davis against St.Mirren?  Remember, we had a team filled with first-team regulars: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Aribo, Roofe, Kent, Arfield, etc.  

I know the team I watched the game the cost of players doesn't mean anything if you do not do the hard work not that I thought Zungu was that bad.

Why rest the players that was our best chance of silverware this season one of our most important games.

3 hours ago, TMB said:

When the team was announced I was on social media and the vast majority of Rangers fans said we had put out a strong team.  It was filled with first-team regulars.  It was a clear sign that we were taking the competition seriously.  

Pre-match were you thinking this group of players Gerrard has chosen to start the match isn't good enough to beat St.Mirren?  

Barisic should’ve been ahead of Bassey. Aribo has been poor since he came back into the team albeit being played out of position so should have been dropped for Kamara or played in the front three. Davis should’ve started so there’s three players that improve that team straight away. 

5 minutes ago, Jb85 said:

Barisic should’ve been ahead of Bassey. Aribo has been poor since he came back into the team albeit being played out of position so should have been dropped for Kamara or played in the front three. Davis should’ve started so there’s three players that improve that team straight away. 

Barisic is ahead of Bassey.  Last night the team was rotated to give some a rest, and others an opportunity.  Given it was a League Cup game against St.Mirren it seemed perfectly reasonable prior to kickoff.  I doubt anyone on here could’ve predicted Bassey would’ve had such a poor game.

Kamara and Davis play a lot of football for club and country so you can understand the manager trying to rest them.  We’ve just finished a difficult European league group.  

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Zungu is worth more than St.Mirren's entire football club.  So what makes you think Rangers couldn't afford to rest Bassey and Davis against St.Mirren?  Remember, we had a team filled with first-team regulars: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Aribo, Roofe, Kent, Arfield, etc.  

Duffy is probably earning more than the entire st mirren players and staffs what is your point. You give the ball to zungu and he gives you it straight back a complete waste of a jersey 

1 minute ago, Dickie said:

Duffy is probably earning more than the entire st mirren players and staffs what is your point. You give the ball to zungu and he gives you it straight back a complete waste of a jersey 

The point is, people are acting like playing Zungu is a sign of disrespect towards St.Mirren.  That we’re somehow playing shite players expecting to just walk the game.  Given Zungu is worth more than St.Mirren’s entire club I don’t think it’s disrespectful to play him.  In fact, if Zungu was a St.Mirren player he’d probably be a starter and their star man.

So is playing Zungu really putting us at a disadvantage against St.Mirren?  I don’t think so.

13 minutes ago, TMB said:

The point is, people are acting like playing Zungu is a sign of disrespect towards St.Mirren.  That we’re somehow playing shite players expecting to just walk the game.  Given Zungu is worth more than St.Mirren’s entire club I don’t think it’s disrespectful to play him.  In fact, if Zungu was a St.Mirren player he’d probably be a starter and their star man.

So is playing Zungu really putting us at a disadvantage against St.Mirren?  I don’t think so.

How much was sadiq worth? A players worth is irrelevant Gerrard obviously thought this game was a formality and put out a weakened team(especially in midfield) and it left him looking amateurish. St. Mirren man marked tavernier and targeted bassey and we took no action to change anything until after the damage was done.

45 minutes ago, Dickie said:

I thought zungu looked decent against ponznan but his first away domestic game against hairy arsed cunts willing to get in about you he did exactly what you said 

3 hours ago, TMB said:

When the starting line up was announced, filled with regular starters, did you feel it wasn't strong enough to beat St.Mirren in the League Cup?  I can't recall anyone on here saying that.

Agreed, for all they(the defence) looked a bit disjointed, I commented during the game that I though the midfield 3 were really our problem. If they do not tick, Rangers do not tick. I will be honest and say I was ok with Bassey at lineup announcement. Not sure I would have taken Arfield off. The change for me was Zungu. 

1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

I thought zungu looked decent against ponznan but his first away domestic game against hairy arsed cunts willing to get in about you he did exactly what you said 

15 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

Agreed, for all they(the defence) looked a bit disjointed, I commented during the game that I though the midfield 3 were really our problem. If they do not tick, Rangers do not tick. I will be honest and say I was ok with Bassey at lineup announcement. Not sure I would have taken Arfield off. The change for me was Zungu. 

The issue isnt the personnel it was the system, zungu especially was guilty of passing backwards and sideways but like earlier against livi I'll defend them for it because its the only option 

We played 433 last night, with 2 number tens coming inside, st mirren were a 451 as far as i could see

So when zungu (or arfield or aribo) get the ball off our centre halves, in front of them is kent, itten and roofe, marked or covered by 3 st mirren midfielders and 2 st mirren centre halves, 8 players in the central corridor of the pitch, and thats at a minimum, if arfield or aribo make a move for a pass the other 2 st mirren midfielders tuck inside and squeeze the space, meaning all our midfield had was sideways or backwards passing 

Our insistence last night of playing 3 sitting mids against a defensively setup team is fucking criminal

21 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

Nah aribo all day, he was miles out, we should have went 4231, taken aribo off for davis, moved arfield up to central 10 role

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The issue isnt the personnel it was the system, zungu especially was guilty of passing backwards and sideways but like earlier against livi I'll defend them for it because its the only option 

We played 433 last night, with 2 number tens coming inside, st mirren were a 451 as far as i could see

So when zungu (or arfield or aribo) get the ball off our centre halves, in front of them is kent, itten and roofe, marked or covered by 3 st mirren midfielders and 2 st mirren centre halves, 8 players in the central corridor of the pitch, and thats at a minimum, if arfield or aribo make a move for a pass the other 2 st mirren midfielders tuck inside and squeeze the space, meaning all our midfield had was sideways or backwards passing 

Our insistence last night of playing 3 sitting mids against a defensively setup team is fucking criminal

Zungu's positional sense was fantastic in the first half but I would like to see him take more risks. He is pretty much a carbon copy of Jack. He faded early in the second half and it was the correct decision to take him off.

Aribo & Arfield were not selected as sitting midfielders, they were just off the boil.

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I will be honest mate. Agree with everything u say. I see the 433 as set in industrial strength cement tho. Wrong tho that is.so I don't even consider formation now cause it will not change.

It is this refusal to change that has me worried. Concerned Steve knows nothing else.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Zungu's positional sense was fantastic in the first half but I would like to see him take more risks. He is pretty much a carbon copy of Jack. He faded early in the second half and it was the correct decision to take him off.

Aribo & Arfield were not selected as sitting midfielders, they were just off the boil.

Yep how I saw it too.

And I'm not sure it was tactical keeping Bassey more defensive minded than attack. I just think he allowed Connelly to force him back unlike Tav who again pushed forward. Borna resolved it, too late though.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yep how I saw it too.

And I'm not sure it was tactical keeping Bassey more defensive minded than attack. I just think he allowed Connelly to force him back unlike Tav who again pushed forward. Borna resolved it, too late though.

Firstly, the decision not to play Barisic was bizarre. Secondly, we knew that they were doubling up on Tavernier so more reason to bolster the left side and thirdly, if he was going to insist on playing Bassey, then Kamara should have played to offer him support.

25 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Arfield was, watch the amount of times he either covered tav or moved across when the st mirren leftback moved up the park, aribo was poor but again as the left side of a midfield 3 he is tasked with moving across to the left hand side

Like you said, kamara is ideal at that role, aribo is better further up as part of the front 3 (if we are going to play that system) with less defensive work and more attacking play

4 hours ago, TMB said:

Rangers have been rotating the squad for months without issue.  In fact, the squad and management have been given nothing but praise for the recruitment, rotation, and results.  I can't remember you starting a thread during that time complaining it was all a big mistake.  

I didn't say that. Mentalist. I stated that he underestimated st mirren with the team selection. Squad rotation is all and welll, and I agree with it in general but why dilute the strength of the starting line-up in what would have been a great chance to pick up silverware?

SG took the rap for the result. Even he admitted he fucked up. 

14 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

why dilute the strength of the starting line-up 

It’s called squad rotation.  Some are rested, others get an opportunity, we’ve been doing it all season without any issues.  

26 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

You clearly didn't read my post. Repeating yourself now. Boring.

I’m not sure what you’re struggling to understand.  Rangers have been rotating the squad all season.  Gerrard’s management of the squad has received nothing but praise.  We’ve been brilliant all season while rotating the squad so why do you perceive this to be a problem now?  

1 hour ago, TMB said:

I’m not sure what you’re struggling to understand.  Rangers have been rotating the squad all season.  Gerrard’s management of the squad has received nothing but praise.  We’ve been brilliant all season while rotating the squad so why do you perceive this to be a problem now?  

Do you have reading difficulties? You clearly aren't reading my posts properly. I'm not interested in you repeating yourself and boring me to death. Do one. 

Archived