Back to Reality

.Williamson.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

100% agree with Arfield, he was the sitting player as Tav went forward last night, been more Davis/Jack this season who has done that role & it did kill Arfields game really

Even out with that though the contribution that our midfielders and strikers have made this season is far below where we need it to be, over the course of the season we'll get caught out if they dont start scoring more

Aribo

Kent

Hagi

Morelos

Itten

Only 1 I would say gets pass marks is Roofe, hes done decent enough but we really need more from the 5 above 

Hagi and itten are bit part players, aribo has barely featured, both morelos and kent need to offer more but again look at our setup, we play with advanced fullbacks, tavs goals it can be argued (the open play ones) would be scored by your kents and morelos' if our system was different and we didnt attack through our fullbacks

Tavs chopped off goal last night has its good and bad points, good points is that he's getting in there and being involved, bad points is that a more natural attack minded person (tav is a fullback afterall) is forced to stay back to cover him (arfield last night) and a striker finds his space in the box taken up by our right back, i know he's in great form etc, but me personally id still rather have my strikers where he was last night, 

Our first at home to benfica, tav missed the sitter header (luckily it fell to arfield) that sitter should be falling to a striker but tav is taking the space of one in the opposition box

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think people were getting carried away by the hype.  They seen how amazing we've been playing  since the start of the season and wanted an invincible treble winning season.  That's not going to happen and I can understand if people feel like the rug has been pulled from under them.  But the priority was always winning the league and being this far ahead in December has exceeded the expectations of most fans.  I think many need to give themselves a shake and realise we're still having an amazing season.  The league cup is gone but nobody will give a fuck when we lift the league trophy.

Until the team get across the line and win silverware. The questions of mentality, bottle etc are going to hang over. 

The league is the one we all want most. And if you said start of the year exit league cup but win the league we'd all take it. But we can't overlook the opportunity we've just let fall through our hands. That was a very winnable cup and we blew it. 

Last night needs to be used as a reminder to the sqaud you can't take anything for granted. One game at a time starting Saturday. Show now we can bounce back from defeat and resume our best form. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Hagi and itten are bit part players, aribo has barely featured, both morelos and kent need to offer more but again look at our setup, we play with advanced fullbacks, tavs goals it can be argued (the open play ones) would be scored by your kents and morelos' if our system was different and we didnt attack through our fullbacks

Tavs chopped off goal last night has its good and bad points, good points is that he's getting in there and being involved, bad points is that a more natural attack minded person (tav is a fullback afterall) is forced to stay back to cover him (arfield last night) and a striker finds his space in the box taken up by our right back, i know he's in great form etc, but me personally id still rather have my strikers where he was last night, 

Our first at home to benfica, tav missed the sitter header (luckily it fell to arfield) that sitter should be falling to a striker but tav is taking the space of one in the opposition box

I said the same about Tav to a mate last week, he does take up the space in the box where a striker should be but the arguement is do we have a striker who would be taking up those positions if Tav wasnt there?

The amount of times we get to the byline and fire the ball across the goal without anyone being there for a simple tap in is ridiculous.

If we cut it back it's usually only Arfield running onto it (which hes done well this season) but take him out and the rest dont see to have that instinct.

We're far too predictable, same issue as last season & are relying on Tav, Goldson from set pieces & the occasional piece of magic to get us through games. Eventually it's going to catch us out unless we find a way to get the attackers firing again

4 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Your application of "a bit of pressure" seems to be entirely selective and only apply when Rangers lose a game, there have been numerous pressure situations already this season when no form of bottling it has taken place... 

The way I see it Benfica twice and St. Mirren were the only times this season where a team with something to play for at the end of the game really attacked our goal. And three times we bottled it.

2 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Until the team get across the line and win silverware. The questions of mentality, bottle etc are going to hang over. 

The league is the one we all want most. And if you said start of the year exit league cup but win the league we'd all take it. But we can't overlook the opportunity we've just let fall through our hands. That was a very winnable cup and we blew it. 

Last night needs to be used as a reminder to the sqaud you can't take anything for granted. One game at a time starting Saturday. Show now we can bounce back from defeat and resume our best form. 

Hopefully last night will give them a boot up the arse and tech them not to get complacent.  If we had dropped 3 points in the league and opened the door for celtic to get back in to it I would've been gutted.  As it is, I'm glad the only defeat we've had this season came in the League Cup.  I don't care about the domestic cups, I want to win the title and we're still strong favourites to do so.  If we win that game on 2nd of January I don't see how celtic could possibly come back from that.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

The way I see it Benfica twice and St. Mirren were the only times this season where a team with something to play for at the end of the game really attacked our goal. And three times we bottled it.

Aye teams like Willem II, Gala, Lech Poznan, celtic and Standard Liege had fuck all to play for eh the only logical point you can make for them not attacking our goal at the end of games is because we had already managed the "pressure situations" in the 80 minutes before...  but anyway that is others teams, fuck em - do you know how often WE have had something to play for? I will put some context on how often if you like. 

Do you know how many points we won the league by in 2010/11? 1 - 1 point

Do you know how many points we won the league by in 2009/10? 6 - 6 points, contextish we had it "won" early but it still a very narrow margin 

Do you know how many it was 20008/09? 4, 4 points

2004/05? 1, 1 point 

2002/03? It was goal difference. 

So in our recent league wins, we have won the league by 1 point, 6 points, 4 points, 1 point and goal difference. Do you know what that shows? Every. single. league.game is a pressure situation to us, they are all massive and all matter this season, any domestic slip up this year could feasibly cost us the league. 

Chuck in Europe and making it to the group and out the group as well

We have played a fucking shit load of pressure situations this season, this squad is dealing with "pressure" thus far this year, it is wanky bollocks to try and pretend they aren't. 

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Aye teams like Willem II, Gala, Lech Poznan, celtic and Standard Liege had fuck all to play for eh...  but anyway that is others teams, fuck em - do you know how often WE have had something to play for? I will put some context on how often if you like. 

Do you know how many points we won the league by in 2010/11? 1 - 1 point

Do you know how many points we won the league by in 2009/10? 6 - 6 points, contextish we had it "won" early but it still a very narrow margin 

Do you know how many it was 20008/09? 4, 4 points

2004/05? 1, 1 point 

2002/03? It was goal difference. 

So in our recent league wins, we have won the league by 1 point, 6 points, 4 points, 1 point and goal difference. Do you know what that shows? Every. single. league.game is a pressure situation to us, they are all massive and all matter this season, any domestic slip up this year could feasibly cost us the league. 

Chuck in Europe and making it to the group and out the group as well

We have played a fucking shit load of pressure situations this season, this squad is dealing with "pressure" thus far this year, it is wanky bollocks to try and pretend they aren't. 

You've got issues bro. 

6 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s imperative that we get a firing Alfredo Morelos back in the team.

Start him every game and let him get into a groove.

I think last night showed how much we missed Morelos running off the ball helping to open up packed defences and creating space for other players. No doubt he looks short on confidence as far as scoring goes but he does play a vital part in our current formation imo. I also think a week or two away will allow him to hopefully re-focus mentally and come back hungry to make a positive impact...

24 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

I said the same about Tav to a mate last week, he does take up the space in the box where a striker should be but the arguement is do we have a striker who would be taking up those positions if Tav wasnt there?

The amount of times we get to the byline and fire the ball across the goal without anyone being there for a simple tap in is ridiculous.

If we cut it back it's usually only Arfield running onto it (which hes done well this season) but take him out and the rest dont see to have that instinct.

We're far too predictable, same issue as last season & are relying on Tav, Goldson from set pieces & the occasional piece of magic to get us through games. Eventually it's going to catch us out unless we find a way to get the attackers firing again

Tbh we'll not know as we dont have inside scoop on gerrards team talks etc, however we have guys like itten and roofe and even a misfiring morelos that are maybe forced out the box due to how we play, 

So far its worked but having a right back as a top goalscorer is frightening given its more likely he'll go off form in front of goal than our strikers will start banging them in

49 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Been saying forever we need the midfield to get into the box

8 hours ago, Billyblueblood said:

I don't quite acept that Motherwell at home should be billed as a big test, it should be a gimme. We will bounce right back and it's a great opportunity to do so.

Seen this stat on social media earlier so I think it will be a test this weekend. 

Each one of our domestic cup exits since Gerrard's arrival has been followed by a home match within 4 days. Our results in those games?

Rangers 1-1 Kilmarnock
Rangers 1-1 Kilmarnock
Rangers 1-1 Young Boys
Rangers 0-1 Hamilton

We'll learn a lot about this team on Saturday.

1 hour ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

So when Rangers went to Parkhead earlier this season celtic had nothing to play for? In your opinion, is the only reason we beat celtic at Parkhead because they had nothing to play for?  I'm curious about your thoughts on this.

11 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Last night brought everyone back down to earth after we were all guilty of getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves.

We can not allow ourselves to collapse in the league as a result.

End of the day that game was horrific but the other lot are still in as bad a period in their history as I can remember in a long time, and they still have that awful management team. One meaningless win in Europe and a win at home to Killie does not change that. They are testing out what their best starting 11 is mid season fuck sake. 

They think this is a turning point. We need to slap them back down with a convincing win at the weekend and make the gap on the board 16 points.

Make this our worst result of the season and win the fucking league, Rangers.

Agreed.What is done is done. The sooner we play our next game the better, a convincing win with the gap going to 16 points will boost morale.

I'm not against squad rotation as the performance graphs show we have past the first blip in form, the second blip is coming up so I think we need to start with our best 11 to ground the squad again. 

image.thumb.png.d91171178366b3382a85ad4c648b347b.png

Graph source 

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/gerrards-3-seasons-in-graphs.144275/

The error made was Gerrard's, For me he played someone who wasn't ready for that type of game, St M saw that and targeted him which broke down our team playing as a unit.

It didn't help with the ref getting injured and the 4th official having to take over as he was way out of his depth and several big mistakes were made.  

1 hour ago, Valance1690 said:

How we play is, the striker drops deeper taking defenders out of position.  The attacking midfielders move all over the place too dragging defenders around.  trying to man mark against this Rangers team is almost impossible.  The spaces left are exploited by the full-backs going outside or running straight in to the box (which we've seen Barisic doing too).  Tavernier and Barisic being so influential is by design and it's worked a treat so far this season as I'm sure you'll agree.

3 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Agreed.What is done is done. The sooner we play our next game the better, a convincing win with the gap going to 16 points will boost morale.

I'm not against squad rotation as the performance graphs show we have past the first blip in form, the second blip is coming up so I think we need to start with our best 11 to ground the squad again. 

image.thumb.png.d91171178366b3382a85ad4c648b347b.png

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/gerrards-3-seasons-in-graphs.144275/

The error made was Gerrard's, For me he played someone who wasn't ready for that type of game, St M saw that and targeted him which broke down our team playing as a unit.

It didn't help with the ref getting injured and the 4th official having to take over as he was way out of his depth and several big mistakes were made.  

Imagine where this leaves Bassey.  Whenever the manager puts him in we'll have fans moaning about a weakened team being fielded, how Bassey isn't up to it, how we're not treating the opposition with respect, etc.  One game and he's been written off and will be under extreme scrutiny moving forward.  

In a perverse way St Mirren actually did us a favour.

The shortcomings of certain 'rotational squad' players were exposed and very apparent and certain normally reliable players contributed very little.We got off to a bright start but then it all gradually got flatter with disappointing  visible lapses in concentration  and carelessness .

St Mirren exposed us down both flanks ,no doubt that will be noted by other opponents in the coming weeks.So many players had an off day ,even normally sharp  McGregor in goal  nearly got caught out .

We underestimated them and never looked like we had the guile or the motivation to take them apart.

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Want to stop looking at history, it counts for fuck all, just like you claiming we’re winning the next 5 league games to go 19 clear. Give it a rest

In that case you need to chin every single person who is moaning like fuck because we haven't won a trophy under Gerrard.

What counts is this season and we are doing well in the league and should we respond well against Motherwell we will be fine.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Imagine where this leaves Bassey.  Whenever the manager puts him in we'll have fans moaning about a weakened team being fielded, how Bassey isn't up to it, how we're not treating the opposition with respect, etc.  One game and he's been written off and will be under extreme scrutiny moving forward.  

It's Gerrard's mistake. I feel for the lad. He'll need his confidence boosting and game time. Big lesson from this is making sure that rotation players are ready and well suited to the style of play for each game.

I certainly won't be giving Bassey any grief, I look forward to his development.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

I think people were getting carried away by the hype.  They seen how amazing we've been playing  since the start of the season and wanted an invincible treble winning season.  That's not going to happen and I can understand if people feel like the rug has been pulled from under them.  But the priority was always winning the league and being this far ahead in December has exceeded the expectations of most fans.  I think many need to give themselves a shake and realise we're still having an amazing season.  The league cup is gone but nobody will give a fuck when we lift the league trophy.

Course we were, but it was good.

That defeat was the kick up up the ass we needed. That we can never be complacent and victories need to be earned.

I have no doubt this will refocus us and we'll see a different approach come the weekend.

We are a good team and well capable of winning that title. It's not something this squad has done before but there are a few who have and I can certainly forgive this small glitch.

We are good and well led, no natter what any of the haters may say. I doubt we'll make the same mistake again against that mob.

So it's back to business, next up and one game at a time.

Archived