Back to Reality

.Williamson.

9 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

It's Gerrard's mistake. I feel for the lad. He'll need his confidence boosting and game time. Big lesson from this is making sure that rotation players are ready and well suited to the style of play for each game.

I certainly won't be giving Bassey any grief, I look forward to his development.

Bassey is a player. The stuffs there and I for one have no problems with him being put back in there.

He's not a regular and I've seen bigger fuck ups with Borna, but we are always good for scapegoating. Try looking at some of the regulars who did let us down last night. 

Last night was a bad day at the office. A glitch and nothing more imo. We remain a good side ready to take that title.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, TMB said:

How we play is, the striker drops deeper taking defenders out of position.  The attacking midfielders move all over the place too dragging defenders around.  trying to man mark against this Rangers team is almost impossible.  The spaces left are exploited by the full-backs going outside or running straight in to the box (which we've seen Barisic doing too).  Tavernier and Barisic being so influential is by design and it's worked a treat so far this season as I'm sure you'll agree.

Course it has and its not something we should be looking to change as a base

What we do need to look at though is how to counter the fact that teams are now doubling up on both full backs. In theory it should leave space for midfielders/strikers to do more but it's simply not happening

Stats arent the be all and end all but the numbers matter & the numbers from our midfield/attackers are nowhere good enough to sustain over the course of the season

6 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

Bassey is a young, raw talent.

He is going to have periods of inconsistency while he learns his trade. It’s shite for us as fans but that’s the reality.

He shouldn't be learning his trade in last night's game though. We needed Barasic out there from the start. While St Mirren are doubling up on Tav we should have been optimising our play down the left.  By the way, it was clear before the mistakes that Bassey was having a mare.  

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Arfield has been getting in to the box and scoring goals from a midfield position all season.

Yup, but for some reason we reverted to our european system last night which relies on teams coming out to play, even though they scored 3 goals last night, st mirren were a defensive 451, our euro system doesnt work against that 

59 minutes ago, TMB said:

How we play is, the striker drops deeper taking defenders out of position.  The attacking midfielders move all over the place too dragging defenders around.  trying to man mark against this Rangers team is almost impossible.  The spaces left are exploited by the full-backs going outside or running straight in to the box (which we've seen Barisic doing too).  Tavernier and Barisic being so influential is by design and it's worked a treat so far this season as I'm sure you'll agree.

See when the striker drops deep and takes a defender out of position, thats where you need a midfield runner to go into that space and give the option of a through ball or one over the top, 

When we play the 433 the central corridor is so fucking congested with dropping strikers and number tens coming inside to give our fullbacks space, that our 3 midfielders look up and just see an absolute fuck ton of bodies in front of them, so they have two options, pass to the side or back the way, 

When we switched to the 4231 earlier in the season it created gaps for us to exploit, our fullbacks still got up the park, but our midfield had both runners and ball players, and our central striker had players to work off of

Why we reverted back is beyond me, it cost us away to livi and cost us last night 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Imagine where this leaves Bassey.  Whenever the manager puts him in we'll have fans moaning about a weakened team being fielded, how Bassey isn't up to it, how we're not treating the opposition with respect, etc.  One game and he's been written off and will be under extreme scrutiny moving forward.  

Tbh if he can’t handle it he’s not fit to play for us, Hutton got the same till he proved he could cut it here at a similar age, tav took pelters for every goal scored down our right hand side last year, it comes with the territory I’m afraid, he’s not a Leicester player anymore time to step up or piss off

i hope it’s the former because I like the look of the big guy, st mirren aside obv, because he offered absolutely nothing last night 

As a bear of a certain vintage here’s my take. Tonight was a complete disaster and a disgrace it’s not that far off Berwick.  
Since 2012 Rangers have had a losers mentality from top to bottom until we win a serious trophy that will not change. Gerrard has tried to install that mentality into the players and the club but has not succeeded whether that’s ‘so far’ or just not succeeded is still up for debate. We play nice football we have mostly technically gifted players but tonight showed they lack the ‘robustness’ required in our league. That is off course wrong but it is reality. We need a real enforcer or two who can mix it with the hammer throwers. The recent scum sides had that we had it with Sir Walter. I don’t have a solution aside from maybe sign a couple of guys of the type I suggested. 
We are very sadly a long way short of winning anything this season despite our 7 point league lead (in real terms). 
No one wants #55 more than me. No one should write tonight off as ‘one of those things’ it wasn’t.

6 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

As a bear of a certain vintage here’s my take. Tonight was a complete disaster and a disgrace it’s not that far off Berwick.  
Since 2012 Rangers have had a losers mentality from top to bottom until we win a serious trophy that will not change. Gerrard has tried to install that mentality into the players and the club but has not succeeded whether that’s ‘so far’ or just not succeeded is still up for debate. We play nice football we have mostly technically gifted players but tonight showed they lack the ‘robustness’ required in our league. That is off course wrong but it is reality. We need a real enforcer or two who can mix it with the hammer throwers. The recent scum sides had that we had it with Sir Walter. I don’t have a solution aside from maybe sign a couple of guys of the type I suggested. 
We are very sadly a long way short of winning anything this season despite our 7 point league lead (in real terms). 
No one wants #55 more than me. No one should write tonight off as ‘one of those things’ it wasn’t.

That's quite a posh way to say you're nearly deid.

5 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

We’re not as far away from winning the title as the team below us, the team below us also went out the same cup last week and out of Europe so most of your post is pure bollox, aye it’s a wake up call we couldn’t beat that shower of shite last nite but it happens from time to time, unless your mystic Meg I don’t know how you can look at us this year and even make a bad point about the europa league or the league

4 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

That's quite a posh way to say you're nearly deid.

Hope not mate did 20k on my bike today and when I can’t get out cycling I’m at the gym.  So I think I’m okay but then who knows no matter how old you are!

31 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

He shouldn't be learning his trade in last night's game though. We needed Barasic out there from the start. While St Mirren are doubling up on Tav we should have been optimising our play down the left.  By the way, it was clear before the mistakes that Bassey was having a mare.  

I thought last night would have been a good run out for him against what has been a poor St mirren team. Gerrard must have thought the same.

Hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose. We fucked it and go again Saturday, I think Bassey has plenty to offer the squad in the long run, we shouldn’t crucify him for his worst performance so far. Barisic can’t be expected to play every game.

2 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

We’re not as far away from winning the title as the team below us, the team below us also went out the same cup last week and out of Europe so most of your post is pure bollox, aye it’s a wake up call we couldn’t beat that shower of shite last nite but it happens from time to time, unless your mystic Meg I don’t know how you can look at us this year and even make a bad point about the europa league or the league

It’s not bollocks in my opinion it’s my view. You see it differently but I think this team will bottle 55 this year because losing is now in the clubs DNA.  That’s what has to change.

25 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

It’s not bollocks in my opinion it’s my view. You see it differently but I think this team will bottle 55 this year because losing is now in the clubs DNA.  That’s what has to change.

No it’s absolutely bollox!

if your talking about last nite fair enough, but our team unlike the beasts from the east haven’t put a single foot wrong in either the league or europa, until last nite we had lost 4 goals domestically!

it might be your opinion but that means fuck all to the people listening to it or trying to take in, it’s a ridiculous opinion!

“You see it differently but I think this team will bottle 55 this year because losing is now in the clubs DNA” 

From that above? Fucking right I see it differently, that’s a tarrier bastards opinion if ever I’ve seen 1, that’s what they are praying for morning,noon and night

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

We seem to be good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory which is a worry 

We are awful at that, the amount of last minute equalisers or winners for the opposition we have lost is mental. Can barely think of any late winners for us(goldson at killie all I can). We rarely put the opposition under relentless pressure late on when we need a goal why is that?

The play from after it went 2 all, tavs devastated reaction to his bad touch was mental don't know what they were doing.

8 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

I predict we will win the league by 6 points and progress to the next stage in Europe.

:rangers:We are still undefeated in both competitions :rangers:

1 hour ago, TMB said:

So when Rangers went to Parkhead earlier this season celtic had nothing to play for? In your opinion, is the only reason we beat celtic at Parkhead because they had nothing to play for?  I'm curious about your thoughts on this.

Benfica and St. Mirren were the only two teams that breached our midfield and had a real go at our goal. And our defense folded every time.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

Benfica and St. Mirren were the only two teams that breached our midfield and had a real go at our goal. And our defense folded every time.

So what youre saying is no one else has tried to beat us, is that it. Cos thats just daft. Maybe they just couldnt. Benfica were pure quality. St mirren benefited from 3 defensive fuck ups, two from a fairly inexperienced left back. Pretty untypical for us this year.

9 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

So what youre saying is no one else has tried to beat us, is that it. Cos thats just daft. Maybe they just couldnt. Benfica were pure quality. St mirren benefited from 3 defensive fuck ups, two from a fairly inexperienced left back. Pretty untypical for us this year.

Silly season in here mate, don’t know if it’s covid related but some opinions are so far off, it suggests serious mental health problems to me

36 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

No it’s absolutely bollox!

if your talking about last nite fair enough, but our team unlike the beasts from the east haven’t put a single foot wrong in either the league or europa, until last nite we had lost 4 goals domestically!

it might be your opinion but that means fuck all to the people listening to it or trying to take in, it’s a ridiculous opinion!

“You see it differently but I think this team will bottle 55 this year because losing is now in the clubs DNA” 

From that above? Fucking right I see it differently, that’s a tarrier bastards opinion if ever I’ve seen 1, that’s what they are praying for morning,noon and night

Mate you disagree fine I don’t care.  If the level here is calling me a Tim because I disagree maybe just park it. Hope you’re right time will tell.

Archived