Glen Middleton

They Gnu

SG is now changing his role to an attacking left back, I know a lot don’t fancy the boy but for me I think he could prove to be cover for Borna with a view to making the role his own when we inevitably sell Barisic. Obviously it’s too early to write Bassey off but I think Middleton offers more going forward. 

1 hour ago, five stars said:

Hope to works. This one disadvantage may be his height.

How in any way would that be a disadvantage? He’s the same height as both Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson. Pretty sure Patrice Evra was smaller than him and played that role. That height thing is such an outdated load of shite :lol:

His main disadvantage will be his lack of ability 

22 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

How in any way would that be a disadvantage? He’s the same height as both Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson. Pretty sure Patrice Evra was smaller than him and played that role. That height thing is such an outdated load of shite :lol:

His main disadvantage will be his lack of ability.

Nailed it , the boy is pish and will never make it in the top league at any team.

5 hours ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Bassey has had 1 bad game out of 12/13? Bit of a knee jerk reaction that. 

Boys only 20 and is miles ahead of Middleton at LB. 

I don’t even think Middleton is a LW, More suited coming off the striker.

Was about to say the same. Most people have raved about Bassey up until last night. He has looked very impressive but no doubting he had a nightmare. That doesn’t make him shit and needs replaced in the squad. 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

I didn't say you can't be an excellent full back if you're not tall. But it's clearly a disadvantage. Teams will target the back post area with crosses. It's also one less player with height for defending corners and free kicks.

Got to love this place at times....yip last night was poor and has come as a shock but hopefully a welcome boot up the backside into the bargain....with all things considered I doubt we would have managed a 27 game unbeaten run if we were back using players like Middleton....remember he moved to hibs and done fuck all....not good enough, players like himself, Jones,Barker & Stewart will find themselves gone the same as Halliday, Docherty, Mcrorie, Fod & Murphy 

With our system Barisic and Tav are vital - these two positions need to be our strongest imo, and experimenting or using backup is no good.

When Barisic or Tav goes we need to splash whatever cash we can and go high calibre, and compliment with a quality backup instead of just a squad player. Just my opinion, though. Could be wrong.

Middleton clearly does have ability.  Watching him when Gerrard first came to the club he was scoring in Europe, domestically, and looked like he had been running at full-backs hi whole life.  Rangers play with inverted wingers and Middleton strikes me as being a more traditional winger who likes to stay wide and hit the byline.

Middleton can't really fit in to our current team.  Turning him in to an attacking LB is a good idea IMO.  Modern full-backs basically function as wingers anyway so the attributes cross over.  I think celtic played Hayes, a winger, as full-back for much of last season.  

Bassey had a poor game but other than that he has been very good. He will make mistakes as all youngsters do. Still think he is a good prospect.

Middleton will struggle to cut it at any other team in our league tbh. He has had his chance and shown he isn't good enough.

• 4 months later...
On 17/12/2020 at 15:06, WilliamMunny said:

Bassey had a poor game but other than that he has been very good. He will make mistakes as all youngsters do. Still think he is a good prospect.

Middleton will struggle to cut it at any other team in our league tbh. He has had his chance and shown he isn't good enough.

This aged well. 

47 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Glen Middleton will do well in the game. He is a decent player. I reckon he is better than Barker, Jones & Hastie. 

He probably just falls short of making the grade at Rangers.

I've no idea why Jones gets continually lumped in with Barker or Hastie. Far better player than he's given credit for.

Agree with you on Middleton though.