The Best Individual Performance In A Game By A Rangers Player.

tannerall

Am holding my cards for now, could be a Baxter, a Gascoigne, maybe a Laudrup, even a Hatelely or a McCoist, maybe one of our many Fergusons, or a Jardine, Greig. Albertz, maybe an unbelievable goalkeeping performance, basically someone who dominated a game.,or took on adversity by the scruff of the neck individually and turned it round to our advantage. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Mind in a European game when I was a wean Davie Cooper put in an outstanding performance can’t even remember who it was against. Anybody any idea what I’m talking about ? 😆

The best Cooper performance I saw was probably against us as a Clydebank player when he attacked and ran rings around our defence on a Wednesday evening under the floodlights, put in run after run, especially  in the second half toward our Copland Road Terrace, terrorising our defence, creating chances , winning corners, and putting those corners with deadly effect into our penalty box. 

Was already linked to us for a transfer, but that game sealed it. 

Only players I saw ever coming close to that performance at Ibrox by an opposition player were Bonhof for Moenchengladbch, and Kempes for Valencia. 

The game ended Rangers 3 Clydebank 3, and the real score was Rangers 3 Davie Cooper 3. 

26 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Wullie Johnston - 72 cup winners cup final.

Yep, greatest achievement as a Gers player. Was a great team achievement but his contribution I feel is vastly under appreciated in the general scheme of what it meant to us. 

Just now, tannerall said:

Yep, greatest achievement as a Gers player. Was a great team achievement but his contribution I feel is vastly under appreciated in the general scheme of what it meant to us. 

Only Scottish player to ever score twice in a Euro final. Must be worth something.

Tbh, I was 8 and can't remember how well he played that night outside the two goals.

33 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Mind in a European game when I was a wean Davie Cooper put in an outstanding performance can’t even remember who it was against. Anybody any idea what I’m talking about ? 😆

Think this might be it.

Fleck scores the goals but Cooper pulls the strings. His dribble to set up the third (approx 3 mins in) is legendary Cooper.

As for an outstanding individual performance, the one I always remember was Bomber Brown in the title winning Hateley game at Ibrox against the sheep. We had to win and we did but we were decimated by injuries (Spackman at CB) and Brown played three different positions holding it all together despite being injured too. Not flashy but a heroic display Greig would have been proud of.

:UK:

Been at very few games where i wasn’t half pished .The one outstanding performance I can remember while at the game was Oleg Kuznetzov in his debut against St Mirren .

Won everything .at least twice they were 2 on 1 against him and he made them look very amatuer .Such a shame he done his knee in the next game and was never close to what he was that first game .

Cracked the post from 30yds with a strike Albertz would have been proud of .

5 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Think this might be it.

Fleck scores the goals but Cooper pulls the strings. His dribble to set up the third (approx 3 mins in) is legendary Cooper.

As for an outstanding individual performance, the one I always remember was Bomber Brown in the title winning Hateley game at Ibrox against the sheep. We had to win and we did but we were decimated by injuries (Spackman at CB) and Brown played three different positions holding it all together despite being injured too. Not flashy but a heroic display Greig would have been proud of.

:UK:

Yes mate that’s the game I was talking about. No wonder I couldn’t remember the team who the fuck are they 🤣

36 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Also remember Souness absolutely bossing an old firm game at Ibrox to the point of taking the piss 

The New Year game 1986/87 season , one of the coldest games I can remember being at , but Souness really put them in their place that day , including a few of his trademark "tackles" :lol:

Barry in the 2002 final and Brian in the 1996 one were exceptional as well , and also Goram at pittodrie , and against the tarriers on the Saturday after we won at Leeds come to mind .

Think the Cooper game was against Ilves , in Souness first season . He was unplayable that night , beat about 4 or 5 in one dribble to set up Fleck for his hat-trick . 

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Only Scottish player to ever score twice in a Euro final. Must be worth something.

Tbh, I was 8 and can't remember how well he played that night outside the two goals.

Not sure he did very much else, our defence and midfield, particularly Dave Smith and Alex MacDonald were excellent in the game. 

Stein and Johnston however did what they needed to do, as did the others so full credit to the team as a whole.

Archived