*****The Official St Mirren v Rangers Match Thread*

The Godfather

11 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

I really wish we could find a way of getting Joe Aribo more forward. His close control in and around the box would get us so many penalties, goals and assists.

I think if Jack had been available then Aribo would have had a more forward role. He played well considering he was asked to drop back. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard game today and as I expected our midfield were a bit light. But great 3 points thanks to a good move and a defensive cock up. Helander was great and very necessary to handle all those high balls.

Hope Steven Gerrard looks to attack celtic. Their defence is their big weakness. Sitting back is the wrong answer. 

Come on Rangers we can win this league.

Like everyone else, was a bit concerned by this game.

Nerves are gone every game at the moment unless we're at least 2-0 up and cruising.

But was quite routine,  nothing fancy, but certainly nothing worrying either.  

Clean sheet, no injuries, Roofe and Morelos scoring was great for us. 

Taigs are over their sticky patch now, though 7 points lost over it. 

Won't be an easy game, but it's must win for them, pressure on them for first time in years.

3 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

Let's no sugar coat that game by saying 3 points, clean sheet and no injuries - that was fuckin terrible

You ever heard of getting dragged down to your opponents level mate? It happens sometimes in every sport. We got the 3 points. We now move on to Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

Let's no sugar coat that game by saying 3 points, clean sheet and no injuries - that was fuckin terrible

Obviously would prefer it if we blew teams away every week, but in a 36 game season or whatever it is, there's no chance of that happening. 

3 points, clean sheet and no injuries isn't sugar coating it. That wins league titles. If the clean sheets and wins start drying up, then I will worry. The form will pick up again, but the fact we are grinding victories shows a tougher side to the squad and a will to win.

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

You ever heard of getting dragged down to your opponents level mate? It happens sometimes in every sport. We got the 3 points. We now move on to Saturday. 

Don’t argue with an idiot mate, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. 

7 minutes ago, Flatcap said:

I don't disagree mate but his form in the OF games is off the scale. He's been the difference in two of the last three wins against them.

I wouldn’t start him, I’d play Hagi instead BUT depending on how it was going, I’d consider Kent at halftime when they couldn’t reorganise quickly - that’s why I’m NOT the manager 👍🏻

Just now, raging blue 1972 said:

Get through January unscathed I'll start believing - January is a cunt of a month for us, apart from us they've got it easy.

Exactly. Get though January relatively unscathed and it's looking good.

Mind you, if we do that I'll probably be saying 'if we get through February unscathed it's looking good' 😂

To be honest Gerard has got his tactics spot on for this game. It was always going to be shitey and scrappy. I’m fucking delighted with 3 points and clean sheet and no injuries/suspensions! 

lets play silky on Saturday!! 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

7 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

It definitely is a great position to be in. We haven't even mentioned Itten either. There's a player in there as well. 

Been such a long time since we have had some real quality in the side, and options. It's a well blended squad so far. 

Agreed. I like big Cedric. Defo a player there. No fear with some of the boys coming off the bench. 

6 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Not going to play like prime barca every game. 

Playing like that and winning is what we done on a regular basis under Smith and Ally. Won leagues

Correct. Thats exactly how you win leagues, thats a far more important result than pumping hamilton 8 nowt. Away from home against a more than decent team the 3 points ARE all that matters. I wonder if some of the posters on here can remember how we actually won leagues in the past.

7 minutes ago, bassettger said:

Hard game today and as I expected our midfield were a bit light. But great 3 points thanks to a good move and a defensive cock up. Helander was great and very necessary to handle all those high balls.

Hope Steven Gerrard looks to attack celtic. Their defence is their big weakness. Sitting back is the wrong answer. 

Come on Rangers we can win this league.

I hear that powerhouse Julien hit a post today and is a doubt 

2 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Obviously would prefer it if we blew teams away every week, but in a 36 game season or whatever it is, there's no chance of that happening. 

3 points, clean sheet and no injuries isn't sugar coating it. That wins league titles. If the clean sheets and wins start drying up, then I will worry. The form will pick up again, but the fact we are grinding victories shows a tougher side to the squad and a will to win.

Bang on - Walter's teams used to go through periods like this and we had Laudrup, Gazza  etc in them lol. I'd rather 10 shitty wins than 8 hammerings and 2 draws/ losses.

It ain't pretty and plays havock with your nerves but if we get the job done, all good at the end of the day.

4 minutes ago, geneva_ger said:

1 gift and one where Hagi and Roofe made it happen. Great goal.

They exploited keystone cops defending where 2 guys under no pressure let it rattle around between them til they lost it.

Even then, It needed a deflection to put it in.

I’d say they were sharp to make it happen, but it was a long way off great!

Archived