We’ve had ‘best’, ‘worst’, ‘average’ - which player disappointed you the most?

Sparkle

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Did we not get rid of the guy who was in charge of the medical (Stewart Hillis , I think ) ? Pretty sure it was Advocaat who insisted that the deal was put through , probably for a Euro deadline .

Stewart Hillis said there was no medical at all mate, mental. we got fucked over

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Johnsey said:

Michael Ball - Quality player in there and I remember thinking it was a huge signing at the time getting such a highly rated young English full back albeit for big money. Injuries ruined him really though. Do I remember it right as well that he had a clause where we'd have to pay Everton £1m if he played so many games so we just stopped playing him?

Letizi - Over 100 games for PSG and a French international goalkeeper but I just remember him being absolutely woeful.

Dan Eggen - Was very good in the 98 World Cup for Norway. Did he come on as a sub once for us?

We stopped playing Michael Ball during the helicopter Sunday season due to that clause , but IIRC the player was owed money from Everton , so he agreed to waive that in order that Everton dropped any claim on us , and enable him to get back playing .

39 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Who was that young England U21 midfielder, massive rep but just disappeared? 

At one time we had the England goalie (Woods), the England captain (Butcher) and even signed the England under 21 captain too, Chris Vinnicombe, who was not very successful.    Was that the one ?

11 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Alves , came with a hardman reputation, threw about like an empty jacket in the SPL, couldn’t hack the physicality at all and was back in Portugal at the drop of a hat all season 

Cunt was only there to keep fit for the euros imo, remember the game at celtic park where he absolutely shit the bed, was it bates that came on for him? Think I was there and it was 0-0 but I managed to fall up the stairs that day 

4 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Cunt was only there to keep fit for the euros imo, remember the game at celtic park where he absolutely shit the bed, was it bates that came on for him? Think I was there and it was 0-0 but I managed to fall up the stairs that day 

He got dogs abuse coming round past us that day , we all knew he was at it 

17 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Alves , came with a hardman reputation, threw about like an empty jacket in the SPL, couldn’t hack the physicality at all and was back in Portugal at the drop of a hat all season 

Crazy thing was he had proved he could hack the physicality at top European level, and full international  already, before he came, and the next year at Parma too, even boasted about how he was an "old fashioned player who always attacked the ball", yet his apparent indifference with us, especially the number of times he went abroad to see his "doctor", was strange.

1 minute ago, TamCoopz said:

In the first half wasn’t it? 

Aye jumped for a header at their second corner after being beaten in the air at their first ,then kidded on he was injured I’m sure , was early doors in the first half 

1 minute ago, Cedrick said:

Aye jumped for a header at their second corner after being beaten in the air at their first ,then kidded on he was injured I’m sure , was early doors in the first half 

Aye that’s my memory, just him lying at our goals with a career ending injury of course. Thankfully the ginger came on and did a job 

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

Crazy thing was he had proved he could hack the physicality at top European level, and full international  already, before he came, and the next year at Parma too, even boasted about how he was an "old fashioned player who always attacked the ball", yet his apparent indifference with us, especially the number of times he went abroad to see his "doctor", was strange.

I think he’d probably get it all his own way at his previous clubs mate, towering above most to win headers,  first game away to Motherwell , their strikers were slide tackling him in the 18 yard box 😂, he thought fuck this there and then , he looked different class against Marseille and Sheffield Wednesday to 

2 hours ago, ScottBF2 said:

The Hibs game for me showed that Alves wasn't a bad player. Came on and shored us up, scored a cracking freekick.

Mismanagement from Pedro down to Murty. Nicholl got the best out of him.

LOL 

Nicoll called him for what he was, Jimmy told me that personally sitting next him on a train from Queent st to Haymarket, Jimmy still stays in Fife, been lucky enough to meet him a few times and in the same company, caretaker manager for 3 games in that brutal end, ALVES was the biggest con of the LOT on the way back up, frightening the money he was on, complete disheartened bastard who made a good career of being a hardy bastard

1 hour ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Could be wrong mate but as I remember it we signed him without a medical and he'd just had a serious injury, minty was gonna sue and ensured he never played for us to reinforce his case, he was with us for 2 seasons before going on loan, I'm pretty sure he played for Romania during that time.

It seems he didn't play for steau in the first loan which was 2000, we loaned him again then released him in January 2001....his last cap was in 2001 so fuck knows m8😃

Pierre-Fanfan, Julien Rodriguez. Both high reputations in Ligue 1. Both didn't work here. 

I thought Nerlinger would have been a real star here, multiple trophies in Germany, German international, sold to us pretty cheap. Looking back, I wonder if Dortmund flogged us a dead horse, much like Bayern did with Schweinsteiger.

More recently, Templeton, Cummings and I thought Murphy would have been a great signing for us - still could be but highly unlikely now. 

Alves is an obvious one, I remember thinking that Davie Bates would get into that Portugal team if Alves was.

Equally, Fabio Cardoso. Must admit I was surprised we were able to get him, as he had a good reputation as an up and coming talent. Pedro said when he first signed that there were high hopes in Portugal of him making the move from the u21s to the senior team. He was brutal, couldn't hack the physicality, constantly gave away daft fouls, and he had terrible defensive instincts, that goal he let them score at Ibrox in the 3-2 game was criminal. He was meant to be someone who developed with us and got sold on potentially, but we let him go for free, and now he's back in Portugal and is apparently doing well again.

Good song but.

Archived