We’ve had ‘best’, ‘worst’, ‘average’ - which player disappointed you the most?

Sparkle

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/12/2020 at 22:38, Griffin Peterson said:

Mladenovic is another. Was touted as the Serbian Zidane! 

Was gonne say him. Was obout 12, big Zidane fan and buzzing. Obviosley knew nothing of him but kept hearing 'new Zidane, new Zidane' 

What a let down 

14 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

03/04 in general was grim. Barry, Numan, Amoruso, Numan, McCann and Caniggia out the door to be replaced by Ostenstad, Capucho, Vanoli and Emerson all in the worst, cheaply made strip we have ever had. Definitely felt like the end of an era back then.

Exactly a point I make when people slate Big Eck, he worked with his hands tied behind his back....

Tried to perceive to the support of losing big names and bringing in "big names" of players who were all finished.... 

Cheap replacements, this was the start of the financial worries.

10 hours ago, Copeland1983 said:

In recent years Grezda for a couple of million was really disappointing.  We'd just signed Borna who said Grezda was the best player in a decent Osejik side.  Feels like a knee-jerk signing now as Croatia's stock was high and we'd just played a decent team in that league. I really expected it to be smart business at the time.

Seemed to have a terrible attitude, swanning about instagram when he wasn't even getting into the squad.   Just a signing that pisses me off every time I think about it.

Strange one from Gerrard, part of his learning curve I suppose...

Grezda didn't even play against us too for Osjek... lol

13 hours ago, miracle said:

I thought Van Vossen was a major coup...   Kanchelskis was OK but a shadow of the player he was at Man U.

Van Vossen is a good shout for this thread. Had a good career before us and a decent one after us. You are not a bad footballer if you had 50 odd games under Louis van Gaal at Ajax.

Always found it bizarre that in the 97/98 season he played reserve team football for the whole season. Think Walter just didn't fancy him. Advocaat was raging when he found out Murray used him as the makeweight for the Van Bronckhorst deal - and he was straight back into the Dutch squad after he moved to Feyenoord.

12 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Rozental, remember when we signed him apparently we preferred him to Marcelo Salas, wonder if he’d have been any good without injuries 

Wasn't it that he was just considered in Chilean football to be a potentially better prospect than Salas? Don't remember us being in for/considering Salas but could be wrong.

On 30/12/2020 at 18:11, Copeland1983 said:

We'd just signed Borna who said Grezda was the best player in a decent Osejik side.  

Seemed to have a terrible attitude, swanning about instagram when he wasn't even getting into the squad.   Just a signing that pisses me off every time I think about it.

Shows the difference in attitude right there.

Barasic thought he needed to work hard to prove himself and Grezda thought that he was already a big fish.

For me he was going out the door even before the spitting incident.

18 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Wasn't it that he was just considered in Chilean football to be a potentially better prospect than Salas? Don't remember us being in for/considering Salas but could be wrong.

Think we looked at both and chose Rozental that’s how I remember it anyway 😂 might be totally wrong 

Archived