Players You Wanted Us To Sign, But We Never Did.

BlueSuedeSambas

I always liked our English signings because they settled quickly and regularly "got it" (Butcher, Woods, Stevens, Steven, Roberts, Spackman, Walters, Wilkins, Hately, Gazza, Wallace.......)

I think Fowler would have ran amok up here and Waddle was world class (apparently he would have loved to have joined us)

Pearce would have been awesome as would Tony Dorigo who was a class act we were heavily linked with

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JamieD said:

Florin Raducioiu

Yeh, that was the one I thought of too.  We chased him all summer and it looked a goer for much of it.  The thought of him and Laudrup paired together upfront was pretty exciting.

End of the day, we missed out and ended up with Salenko as a consolation prize.  

31 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

Yeh, that was the one I thought of too.  We chased him all summer and it looked a goer for much of it.  The thought of him and Laudrup paired together upfront was pretty exciting.

End of the day, we missed out and ended up with Salenko as a consolation prize.  

Think he turned out to be a bit of a lazy cunt at West Ham and Walter probably would have hated him. 

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

Think he turned out to be a bit of a lazy cunt at West Ham and Walter probably would have hated him. 

Yeh, like many others, his reputation probably exceeded his ability.  From memory of the 94 WC, he was very quick and needed space to run into ahead of him.  Might have done us a turn in Europe but don’t think he would have been suited to Scottish football and teams parking the bus against us.

Am sure we were mentioned when Kevin Phillips moved from Sunderland to Southampton in the early 2000s. I know its the EPL/ wages etc but southampton or Glasgow Rangers..playin in europe/ silverwear etc. Wud have done well here.

9 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Played in the same 3rd division as us for a season and McCoist never spotted him 

Aye that kid il have a canny story from selling programmes for queens park to lifting the UCL. 

There was a time when we were being linked with Gary McAllister and Gary Speed, but nothing materialised. 

Would have been happy with  that, no chance we could have got Cantona, and didn't like Gordon Strachan that much , but what a midfield  4 they were. And we beat them. 

We did get Rod Wallace from that Leeds team. 

5 hours ago, tannerall said:

There was a time when we were being linked with Gary McAllister and Gary Speed, but nothing materialised. 

Would have been happy with  that, no chance we could have got Cantona, and didn't like Gordon Strachan that much , but what a midfield  4 they were. And we beat them. 

We did get Rod Wallace from that Leeds team. 

Always remember being linked with McAllister and being buzzing cos I liked that Liverpool team at the time. 

Always thought Berra would have been a player in the Championship for us. 

In recent times John McGinn springs to mind.  I know it's unpopular as he is a tarrier but his quality just stood out anytime I seen him play.

Further back I was always desperate for us to get Michael Laudrup to come and join Brian.  At the time I just thought he would be good but looking back and knowing more about him these days, he would have ran absolute riot in Scotland.  

2 hours ago, RDB14 said:

In recent times John McGinn springs to mind.  I know it's unpopular as he is a tarrier but his quality just stood out anytime I seen him play.

Further back I was always desperate for us to get Michael Laudrup to come and join Brian.  At the time I just thought he would be good but looking back and knowing more about him these days, he would have ran absolute riot in Scotland.  

With Michael Laudrup feeding him, Durie would probably have even scored against the tims!

Archived