The Diamond 4-4-2

TMB

When I seen celtic were going with that formation I thought we'd pump them TBH.  Was amazed it worked as well as it did.  They won the midfield battle, kept our full-backs in their own half, and spent a large portion of the game on the front foot because of it.  I wonder if more teams will start using this formation against us moving forward.  It could be that Rangers simply had an off day and the way the opposition setup is getting too much credit.  Time will tell.

I also wonder why Rangers don't use a formation like the diamond 4-4-2 as a plan B.  We currently play a wide 4-3-3 and switching to a narrow 4-4-2 would give us a different option when things aren't going well, like today.  Morelos and Itten as a strike partnership with Roofe or Hagi behind, as the tip of the diamond, could be deadly.  Kent has been off the boil recently so it could be a way of resting him, or giving Itten game time without sticking him wide.  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Dickie said:

I hope the celtic board agree with you and think Lennon is now a tactical genius and extend his contract.

Iean wtf is this guy posting hopeful positives? Back in the day, as it should be always, a win is a win, a win against them should be celebrated not analysis given. Enjoy 😊

The one time we got up the field we showed that we could move them about however we wanted, the chance when Aribo put it into the box and Morelos flicked it on towards goal. Just couldn't get enough of that because they had us pinned in our own half.

That being said, they never really cut us open at all after the first half hour, so for all their possession of the ball, they didn't actually do all that much with it.

They dominated a chunk of the 1st half because our front 3 were entirely ineffective in holding up play, pressing their defenders, bringing us up the park, even passing a fucking ball. Aribo was dreadful. Collectively we looked leggy and lethargic. Their extra man was in midfield and their 4 were more dynamic than our 3.

Hagi for Roofe was a no brainer even if he hadn't been injured. Hagi gathered and retained, faced their goal not ours, even amazingly got a shot away.

Their energy and even desire/ application compared to us 1st half was more of an influence than their shape. Their shape and entire midfield personnel changed with the red card. If it was so successful they'd have sacrificed a CH or CF and kept midfield the same.

Problem with the first half is that our front three didn't press at all. This allowed their center halfs free possession up to the halfway line for an entire 45 mins. Their weak link is the back four and the first time we got higher up the park and got them turned ended up with the red card. 

26 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Had fuck all to with a diamond or any other formation , they wanted it right from the start. We thought we just had to turn up.....

To be fair if we had turned up we would have murdered them. I dont even think we got into 2nd gear yesterday,and our passing was fucking abysmal.

But we still won.

And we're still undefeated.

And we're still coasting to the title. 

Just now, Sket said:

To be fair if we had turned up we would have murdered them. I dont even think we got into 2nd gear yesterday,and our passing was fucking abysmal.

But we still won.

And we're still undefeated.

And we're still coasting to the title. 

Agreed , just hate this diamond shite its as if piano teeth played a masterstroke.

We were brutal , and still won it........

They pressed and fouled continually for the first half hour so it looked like they had a perfect system. Gerrard and the players stepped up 2nd half and whilst we didn't play as well as we wanted. We won. 

Popcorn teeth and the deluded paranoid taigs are complaining that madden was shite and biased against them. I agree he was shite. Mcgregor and Soro in particular were both very lucky not to have both been sent off for their constant fouling. 

That Soro was basically shoving players over at least 7 times in the first half. The wee lassie at left back with the braided hair should also have had a 2nd yellow but madden let it go. 

Diamond pish. They were desperados trying everything to save their tainted dream and it still wasn't good enough. 

35 minutes ago, CoGerfficiency said:

It worked to a degree, but our midfield was out injured, and you have to take that into the equation.

I thought with both Jack and Arfield out we’d struggle in this game, Hagi completely changed it when he came on, doing the job our front three didn’t do, pressing them and preventing them building from the back.

4 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

I thought with both Kent and Arfield out we’d struggle in this game, Hagi completely changed it when he came on, doing the job our front three didn’t do, pressing them and preventing them building from the back.

Kent was rank but he did play mate. 😁

Assume you meant Jack 😉 

It was a MUST win game for them.

Their most important game in years. Of course they came out flying.

I expected nothing less from them, but more from us.

Unfortunately our midfield was off the boil: Aribo had a stinker of a first half. Up front/out wide Kent did little and, it transpired, Roofe had a niggle.

For all our faults, they didn’t register a shot on target after 22 mins.

It wasn’t pretty but a change at half time did the trick.

I’d happily face their diamond again and again. On form, we’ll rip them a new arsehole every time.

57 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Had fuck all to with a diamond or any other formation , they wanted it right from the start. We thought we just had to turn up.....

Agreed. They were first and second to every ball in the first half. Put out a team that were fighting for their lives. 

On the plus side to that we went up a gear in the second half and they crumbled the first time we actually were a bit more direct and put pressure on their defence. 

We didn't need to do anything else after we got our goal, the game was ours to lose. 

They can have the 'moral victory' we'll take the literal one with the 3 points. 

All we had to do was keep our wide players wide and stop their full backs bombing on. The change at halftime worked with hagi and Kent staying wider. 

Too many players weren't at the races yesterday but we got the job done and it shows how important it is to have a top class keeper. 

Great start to the new year! 🎉🎊🍻

Archived