Professional Scottish sport unaffected by new Covid-19 rules

By Chris McLaughlinBBC Scotland sports news correspondent

Last updated on20 minutes ago20 minutes ago.From the sectionScotland

The rugby and football seasons are expected to continue

Professional sport in Scotland will not be affected by new coronavirus restrictions for now.

Updated Scottish government guidance says those "involved in professional sports, for training, coaching or competing in an event" will be allowed to leave their homes.

First minister Nicola Sturgeon has issued a general stay at home instruction from midnight.

Football and rugby have been played behind closed doors since August.

Prime Minister Boris Johnston will make a televised address at 20:00 GMT on Monday regarding further steps to battle coronavirus in England.

Live: Latest on Covid-19 in Scotland

Scots ordered to stay home in new Covid lockdown

Glasgow Warriors are scheduled to face Edinburgh in Friday's Pro14 rugby union match. Edinburgh and Glasgow both have European fixtures scheduled for January.

Also on Friday, Queen's Park's take on Queen of the South in football's Scottish Cup.

More cup ties are scheduled for Saturday along with Premiership matches with further top-flight matches on Sunday, next Monday and next Wednesday. Championship sides are in action next Tuesday.

A small number of football and rugby matches have been played in front of a limited number of supporters this season but with fans are only allowed in stadia in tier 3 areas under current government guidelines. All of mainland Scotland has been in Tier 4, the highest level of restrictions, since Boxing Day.

bluenoz likes this

As of 13 Feb we will hit 75 per cent of matches played so if anything is gonna happen it will be before that. If we get to the 29 game stage the precedent is set. 

Wouldn’t put anything past the cunts to pull it before then. If we win all of January then expect a null and void

1 minute ago, GA1972 said:

Might be paranoia but that reads to me like ‘remove this privilege’ so Rangers either can’t play in Europe or have to isolate when they come home

Aye I think that's paranoia. It's been asked for weeks why do they think this is acceptable before covid has gotten worse. Morally it isn't.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but I would not put it past the scum to use covid to get the league voided.

1 minute ago, JWAC said:

Aye I think that's paranoia. It's been asked for weeks why do they think this is acceptable before covid has gotten worse. Morally it isn't.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but I would not put it past the scum to use covid to get the league voided.

Course they will

10 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Might be paranoia but that reads to me like ‘remove this privilege’ so Rangers either can’t play in Europe or have to isolate when they come home

Yup, I would say paranoid. I read it that they see celtic as doing something morally wrong and probably on the back of the Bolingoli incident I think their patience is wearing thin. What I can see happening is celtic being told they can't play Hibs within days of return - which would cause them major problems in terms of fixture congestion.

Appreciate most on here hate the SNP/Scottish Govt, but almost every decision they've made has been positive towards us so far - not saying that will always be the case, but I'm for giving the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise

Siam69 and BlueEdu like this