McGregor

JamieD

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A beggar at work today trying to play the friendly card saying how great McGregor was at the weekend and I replied "Callum or Allan"

Then went on to downplay his performance saying it was all fairly routine stuff and he was never in danger of conceding.

He left me not so friendly, oh well.

16 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Btw that crop of players from the 80/81/82 group he came through with was pretty good looking back on it:

Mark Brown, Allan McGregor, Maurice Ross, Bob Malcolm, Jimmy Gibson, Billy Gibson, Stephen Hughes, Stephen Dobbie, Stephen Carson, Peter MacDonald, Steven MacLean.

Think in the reserves they also had guys just a bit older like Charlie Miller, Derek McInnes, Scott Wilson, Barry Nicholson, Paul McKnight, Lee Feeney, Darren Fitzgerald all in and about at the same time.

@Elfideldo do you think that’s one of the best crops we have had? 

Statistically the years 1973. 1988.1991 and 1999 with six players have been the best.

1973 -Sandy Robertson, Lee Robertson, Steven Pressley, David Hagen, Neil Murray and Stephen Watson.

1988 - Alan Lowing, Steven Lennon, Paul Emslie, Dean Furman, Rory Loy, Jordan McMillan

1991 - John Fleck, Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde, Jamie Ness, Kyle Hutton, Kane Hemmings

1999 - Liam Burt, Kyle Bradley, Aidan Wilson, Jamie Barjonas, Myles Beerman, Serge Atakayi

1999 can be explained as we were coming up through the leagues. 

In terms of appearances the 1973 group would probably be ahead of the 1991 group.

On 06/01/2021 at 16:36, DBBTB said:

Is it just me who thinks that being able to forgive somebody due to 1) the passage of time and 2) their actions to right that wrong, after being fucked off at them because they have done something that hurt you in the past doesn’t actually make you a hypocrite?

This.

If you can't forgive people you admire/love you will die a lonely and bitter person.

Shagger has brought me fantastic memories over the years. I hated the way he left but it must have been a stressful, confusing and scary time for him. Certainly was for us.

It was brave of of him to come back to try and return us to where we deserve to be and he is certainly putting his all into it.

There are times when I think he is losing the plot on the pitch and I put most of those moments down to his sheer passion for the club and his determination for us to win. 

I don't think he will consider himself truly forgiven by our support until he helps us to 55. 

I am looking forwards to seeing Shagger and Tavs in particular lifting the league trophy aloft at the end of the season. They have both put callosal efforts in to getting our title back. 

I am glad McGregor is getting a lot of recognition and he is undoubtedly a class above any other keeper in the league. He has been one of our all time great keepers and, should he lift 55 this year, he will be lauded as a legend of the club despite the 2012 fiasco. 

Having said all that. Goram was a better goalie for us  

It’s different eras and it’s always going to create discussion for a variety of reasons. Goram didn’t have the professionalism that McGregor does now. He didn’t have the levels of fitness and thus the longevity. He tailed off badly at the end and his time at Man U was disastrous. Also GKs these days are asked to more such as distribution and acting more as another option for starting out from the back. But in his peak with us his natural ability, his shot stopping, his reactions were just unbelievable. 

I would be open to admitting that if both were in their prime today then McGregor might be the better modern day goalkeeper but Andy Goram was of his time and was just on a different level for his era. 

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

I am glad McGregor is getting a lot of recognition and he is undoubtedly a class above any other keeper in the league. He has been one of our all time great keepers and, should he lift 55 this year, he will be lauded as a legend of the club despite the 2012 fiasco. 

Having said all that. Goram was a better goalie for us  

It’s different eras and it’s always going to create discussion for a variety of reasons. Goram didn’t have the professionalism that McGregor does now. He didn’t have the levels of fitness and thus the longevity. He tailed off badly at the end and his time at Man U was disastrous. Also GKs these days are asked to more such as distribution and acting more as another option for starting out from the back. But in his peak with us his natural ability, his shot stopping, his reactions were just unbelievable. 

I would be open to admitting that if both were in their prime today then McGregor might be the better modern day goalkeeper but Andy Goram was of his time and was just on a different level for his era. 

So who is better? 

Interesting to hear Barry Ferguson saying in his opinion McGregor is a much better keeper than Klos and up there with Goram.

Very difficult to judge between Goram and McGregor as different types of keeper, big difference in the standard of defence playing in front of the keeper etc. Before I would always have said Goram was the best but McGregor is certainly starting to change my opinion as time goes on.

On 05/01/2021 at 22:25, LucyBlue said:

Great servant to our club.

I'd also argue strongly, the best signing Gerrard has made.

Fantastic keeper and quite a guy as well!

A compliment also to the way RM has moved on as you once couldn't move for posters on here calling him all sorts of names. 

Not so vocal now guys :craphead:

NINTCHDBPICT0004244034681.jpg

He came back before Gerrard joined. 

9 hours ago, Inigo said:

By the way, Goram's distribution was good. For a small guy, he was better for cross balls than McGregor too.

Goram's throwing distribution was really good, with his feet he could be atrocious, but he did play with really dodgy knees and a dodgy hip for quite a long period with us. 

The biggest thing McGregor has improved since his first spell is his distribution with his feet.

4 hours ago, simplythebest said:

Nah Gerrard had been confirmed by then. His contract might not have started but he’ll have approved the signing no doubt 

The deal was pretty much done but when Gerrard came in he had the final say if he wanted to go through with it, Gerrard himself has said he takes no credit for the deal though 

Archived