C*ltc

Kieran Tierney: 'Are Arsenal a big enough club for him?' - Pat Bonner

Former celtic goalkeeper Pat Bonner has questioned whether Arsenal is "a big enough club" for Kieran Tierney after the Premier League side had a £15m bid for the Parkhead defender rejected.

Arsenal are optimistic of signing 22-year-old left-back Tierney from the Scottish champions.

And Bonner believes a fee of "around £25m, with add-ons" would be "a price you'd start talking about".

"If Kieran was playing in England, he'd probably be worth about £50m," he said.

"But because it's Scotland, I would think £25m would be a price you'd start talking about, with add-ons.

"He's got the ability to go into a club like Arsenal. Whether Arsenal is a big enough club for Kieran Tierney, that's the question.

"If you were picking out a player in British football at the moment that can play left-back, himself and [Liverpool's Scotland captain] Andy Robertson are the best two in Britain, if not Europe."

Arsenal optimistic over deal for celtic's Tierney

celtic a great pathway for Turnbull - Lennon

Tierney, capped 12 times by Scotland, is contracted to celtic to 2023, and helped his boyhood club secure a domestic treble treble last term.

Former Everton and Scotland striker James McFadden says the £15m figure is not "anywhere near enough" for a player of Tierney's calibre.

"I don't think that will be even close to tempting celtic into selling," he added.

"You only need to look at his rival in the Scotland side, Andy Robertson, to say that there's not much to pick between them and for me they are as good as each other. So that would tell you celtic would be looking for far more if they want to sell him.

"I imagine at some point it would be good to see him test himself somewhere else but I don't think that point is right now."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48732772

• Replies 41.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

No matter how highly rated Turnbull's potential is or how highly rated McKenna's SPFL pedigree is, they are both being brought in to replace guys that are internationalists, winners(as much as it pains me to say it) and players with a lot of European experience.

Turnbull is a young lad who may or may not have had a flash in the pan end to his season and McKenna is a kick it the way yer facing son Scottish CB.

Am fucken shitting my pants tbh

Tbf they are both players that could go either way but have the potential to do well and have so far in the SPL. McKenna I think has been the best CB outwith the OF, and I wouldn't have had any complaints if he was with us as a 2nd/3rd choice CB, with Goldson as 1st. But I don't think he would be a good option for us at the prices that are being touted, so hopefully the sheep milk the unwashed for as much as possible for him. Turnbull I've hardly seen but he has a very impressive record. 

I reckon there will be a lot of movement at the tattiedome over the summer, with a lot of new faces being 1st team players next season. Realistically we could have a much more settled team than them for the first time in god knows how long. Hopefully we take advantage of it and stroll to 55.

2 minutes ago, BF1 said:

Tbf they are both players that could go either way but have the potential to do well and have so far in the SPL. McKenna I think has been the best CB outwith the OF, and I wouldn't have had any complaints if he was with us as a 2nd/3rd choice CB, with Goldson as 1st. But I don't think he would be a good option for us at the prices that are being touted, so hopefully the sheep milk the unwashed for as much as possible for him. Turnbull I've hardly seen but he has a very impressive record. 

I reckon there will be a lot of movement at the tattiedome over the summer, with a lot of new faces being 1st team players next season. Realistically we could have a much more settled team than them for the first time in god knows how long. Hopefully we take advantage of it and stroll to 55.

No having it with Mckenna. Plays in a team that screens a back four/five that rarely moves far from their own 18 yard line in or out of possession. Big strong lad no doubt. Good at winning headers from long aimless forward passes or hopeful blooters into their penalty area.

Put it this way, I wouldn't swap our CB's for the ones that play for them and I rate them higher than the rest of the CB's in the SPFL.

I hope they do spunk millions on the big clugger.

1 minute ago, BF1 said:

Turnbull I've hardly seen but he has a very impressive record. 

The lad has done very well in the Motherwell team however the freedom afforded to Motherwell players to express themselves won’t be anything like how they set up against celtic. Suppose we’ll see how he copes with the  increased fan pressure and packed midfield/ defences.

Point being (imo to avoid the embarrassment of another McGinn scenario) they’ve spent a lot of money on a 19yr old who their fans will be expecting to make impact from the start, he may very well fulfill this expectation but hopefully not in time to have any influence our road to 55 this upcoming season, if at all...

9 minutes ago, Robmc1 said:

The lad has done very well in the Motherwell team however the freedom afforded to Motherwell players to express themselves won’t be anything like how they set up against celtic. Suppose we’ll see how he copes with the  increased fan pressure and packed midfield/ defences.

Point being (imo to avoid the embarrassment of another McGinn scenario) they’ve spent a lot of money on a 19yr old who their fans will be expecting to make impact from the start, he may very well fulfill this expectation but hopefully not in time to have any influence our road to 55 this upcoming season, if at all...

He's the sort of player we should be signing, relatively inexpensive, young, with the potential to increase a lot in value. Imo he needs regular 1st team football which I'm not convinced he'd get with us with the quality we have in the middle. The taigs midfield is probably the strongest part of their team so same issues for him there. 

My expectation is he goes there, doesn't hold down a regular starting position, gets loaned out then sold a few years down the line. Never really developing until he leaves that lot then doing relatively well in England. 

2 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

PSG won those games 5-0 and 7-1.

Can't imagine Emery seen anything that impressed him.

well not when he targeted that side in both games :lol:

8 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Interesting anyway, keep us updated. :thumbup:

West Brom.have just released a fucking scathing article on the tarriers and Lennon especially :lol:

with regards to their treatment of Burke.

this is superb

The 22-year-old was on loan at Parkhead last season from January till May but has now returned to the Baggies.

And West Brom technical director Luke Dowling revealed they were furious at Lennon’s treatment of the player on the day West Brom unveiled Slaven Bilic as their new boss.

Dowling said: “He won’t be going anywhere near celtic with the current manager.

“We sent Olly to celtic in good faith with Brendan Rodgers and Lee Congerton, there were some really good people up there that wanted to take Olly and wanted to play him.

Once Brendan left to go to Leicester the treatment he got from the manager that’s in place now is something we don’t expect for one of our players.

“He won’t be going anywhere near celtic FC. We currently have a new manager that’s excited to start working and looking at Olly.”

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

West Brom.have just released a fucking scathing article on the tarriers and Lennon especially :lol:

this is superb

The 22-year-old was on loan at Parkhead last season from January till May but has now returned to the Baggies.

And West Brom technical director Luke Dowling revealed they were furious at Lennon’s treatment of the player on the day West Brom unveiled Slaven Bilic as their new boss.

“We sent Olly to celtic in good faith with Brendan Rodgers and Lee Congerton, there were some really good people up there that wanted to take Olly and wanted to play him.

Once Brendan left to go to Leicester the treatment he got from the manager that’s in place now is something we don’t expect for one of our players.

“He won’t be going anywhere near celtic FC. We currently have a new manager that’s excited to start working and looking at Olly.”

That will certainly not go down well with the Lennon, which is very amusing to say say the least. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

this is superb

Wait until they start getting beat. The tarrier players will be greeting for Brenda and get sugar puff teeth the sack!!!

Archived