ISOLATED AND ALONE' Ex-Rangers star Kevin Thomson opens up on Coventry ‘bullying’ as Sky Blues look into claims

Assegai

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'ISOLATED AND ALONE' 

Ex-Rangers star Kevin Thomson opens up on Coventry ‘bullying’ as Sky Blues look into claims

Thomson - on the books at Coventry before joining the Hibees - says he was battered and subjected to a humiliating ordeal in the club’s boot room.

COVENTRY City are looking into claims ex-Rangers ace Kevin Thomson was bullied at the club as a youngster.

He was on the books at the Sky Blues before making the breakthrough at Hibs.

Thomson says he was battered and subjected to a humiliating ordeal in the club’s boot room.

SunSport Online understands the English League One side are taking the historic accusations seriously.

Today the former Hibees, Gers and Middlesbrough midfielder said he felt “isolated and alone” during his first spell south of the border as a teenager.

Speaking to the Daily Record, he said: “I lived in a lodge with a group of older lads.

“They weren’t very nice to me and I found that difficult. It’s actually quite personal for me to talk about it even now.

“They used to tell me it was a backhanded compliment when they took me into the boot room, battered me and put boot polish on my balls.

“You can laugh about it now but as a 15-year-old boy, away from home, I never found it overly funny.

“They thought it was all normal banter for young guys in a changing room but I found it difficult to adjust to – people coming into your room and turning it upside down.

“Being the butt of everyone’s jokes. I couldn’t adjust to it. I felt isolated and alone.

“The highlight of the week would be jumping over the back fence to get some sweeties at the corner shop. I found it really difficult.

“I missed my mum. I’m a home boy brought up in Peebles and I was popular amongst my own friends.

“It got to the stage whenever I came back up the road I would deliberately miss my flights back down south.

“My mum would drop me at the airport on time and I’d sit there waiting for the last call for Mr Kevin Thomson.

“I just couldn’t get on that plane.

“You can imagine the friction that put on my relationship with my mum and dad because they knew what a great opportunity it was for me.

“I knew it too. But they never understood what I was actually having to deal with when I went down there.”

Thomson – who won three caps for Scotland – made his name at Hibs before signing for Rangers after an Old Firm transfer tug of war.

He won two league titles, a Scottish Cup and two League Cups during his time at Ibrox.

The Gers youth coach was also a key part of Walter Smith’s Uefa Cup Final squad and started as the Light Blues lost 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3280566/kevin-thomson-coventry-bullying-boot-room-rangers-hibs-interview/amp/

ECC5E3B2-8D71-40E5-BBF8-5A42CA264C7C.jpeg

1 minute ago, markem said:

I think the above story is from a couple of years ago, not that it makes any difference, it’s shocking. 

This prick seems to have surfaced on Twitter this evening though. 

Aye the story is old this cunts cast it up on a thread between Thomson and Stewart about the red card.

4 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Aye the story is old this cunts cast it up on a thread between Thomson and Stewart about the red card.

Ah right a thought that storys was today. So this walloper actually just brought this up randomly between thompon and Stewarts Red card posts. That makes it worse. Fucking scumbag.

Sadly I think it was rife in football for years. Maybe not so much now, but certainly in recent history. Older senior players/coaches sometimes picking on youngsters to supposedly ‘toughen them up’. Was told a story by a lad once about how a youth couch had him by throat up against a wall for attacking up the wing too much rather than staying in full back position.(he’d set up some goals too).  Senior first team player intervened and threatened coach he’d get him sacked if he did it again. Very next youth training/bounce game, couch played and went thru lad at knee height deliberately and did the lads ligaments. Lad was out for a year, and never full recovered. Any career and dreams over. I’m sure there are many such stories sadly. 

Archived