Katic

Swagger

Just now, simplythebestest said:

Some think he's bad, some think he's good. But thankfully only Gerrard's opinion matters.

I think he's good btw.

Nae shit sherlock...shut the forum down boys and girls because thankfully only Gerrard's opinion matters, no point giving an opinion...

1 hour ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I’ll get hammered for this no doubt but don’t really care because I think he’s class but I think POTENTIALLY Katic is our best centre back. 

I agree.  Just hope that his potential is realised.  Strong, fast, great in the air.  Just needs to develop his decision-making.  As you say, potentially a top centre back who could be our best.

3 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

He’s got great potential, bulked up a lot pre season so will better with physical strikers.

My biggest criticism of him will always be his positioning.

He get's caught flat footed and turned far too easily as well.  

These thing's can be worked on tbf, but we don't have the luxury of giving players time at our club, we need ready made.

He does have some good attributes like his aerial ability and he's definitely fearless, but he's got a long way to go before he's a 1st choice CB for us, imo.

4 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

He get's caught flat footed and turned far too easily as well.  

These thing's can be worked on tbf, but we don't have the luxury of giving players time at our club, we need ready made.

He does have some good attributes like his aerial ability and he's definitely fearless, but he's got a long way to go before he's a 1st choice CB for us, imo.

That sums up my opinion of him quite well to be honest, although I also think he lacks quite a lot with the ball, compared to the other CBs we have!

16 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

He’s absolutely fine as a 3rd choice. 

Remember Balogun only has 6 (or 18 months if we extend his deal) left on his term, Goldsons got 18. Keep Katic and get him learning, we’ve got a ready made replacement who’s already shown he can do it in Europe etc. 

The boys only recently 24 FFS, he’s so young for a CB and already got almost 150 odd top flight games in him despite an ACL injury 

You can see that Goldson trusts Helander or Balogun when he’s playing with them, there doesn’t seem to be that with Katic.

Tbh, Gerrard doesn’t seem to trust him either. If Balogun signs another year then there’s no argument that Katic is 4th choice.

4 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Sorry, but I don't agree with that view.  The other 3 are hardly streets ahead of Katic.

Katic is getting better week by week on here!

He is nowhere Goldson and Helander either defensively or with the ball. I think Balgoun is just as good a defender as the other 2 but not quite as good with the ball and even then he is still better than Katic. 

He is a very physical defender but is very raw at the same time. As I said earlier, if something had to happen to any of the other 3, we would need to bring someone else in as Katic isnt at the level of those 3.

10 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I agree.  Just hope that his potential is realised.  Strong, fast, great in the air.  Just needs to develop his decision-making.  As you say, potentially a top centre back who could be our best.

Decision making, positioning and concentration, all things that come with experience and can be coached,  he has the raw talent and the attitude.

Just now, Del said:

Katic is getting better week by week on here!

He is nowhere Goldson and Helander either defensively or with the ball. I think Balgoun is just as good a defender as the other 2 but not quite as good with the ball and even then he is still better than Katic. 

He is a very physical defender but is very raw at the same time. As I said earlier, if something had to happen to any of the other 3, we would need to bring someone else in as Katic isnt at the level of those 3.

Totally disagree.  

16 minutes ago, Del said:

Nae shit sherlock...shut the forum down boys and girls because thankfully only Gerrard's opinion matters, no point giving an opinion...

Didn't mean to suggest opinions aren't welcome. Just saying that as someone who likes Katic I'm glad it will be Gerrard deciding if he plays or not.

14 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Sorry, but I don't agree with that view.  The other 3 are hardly streets ahead of Katic.

Good distance ahead for me. Part of the reason we have such a good defensive record this season is we can field two good quality CBs finally.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Good distance ahead for me. Part of the reason we have such a good defensive record this season is we can field two good quality CBs finally.

Our midfield cover has been better this season and Goldson for one has seriously improved over last season.

17 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

He’s absolutely fine as a 3rd choice. 

Remember Balogun only has 6 (or 18 months if we extend his deal) left on his term, Goldsons got 18. Keep Katic and get him learning, we’ve got a ready made replacement who’s already shown he can do it in Europe etc. 

The boys only recently 24 FFS, he’s so young for a CB and already got almost 150 odd top flight games in him despite an ACL injury 

I mean, you have said that he has shown he can do it in Europe yet when it comes to the games that matter, Gerrard doesnt play him.

He played 2 games in the Europa League proper last season, the 1-1 draw against Young Boys where he was poor and then the home game against Braga where again he was poor, so much so that he got dropped for the away game and Edmundson thrown in ahead of him.

He also only play 90odd "top flight games" which at 24 isnt great in my opinion and even if Balgoun does leave in the summer, we would look to bring someone else in ahead of him for me.

6 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Totally disagree.  

Based on what?

You only need to look at our record in the biggest games, games that for the most part Gerrard doesnt select Katic.

I struggle to think of any games where has been very good defensively, but that doesnt mean he had a bad game, so I cant really argue that at the moment, but cant seriously think that Katic is as good on the ball as Goldson and Helander?

4 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Our midfield cover has been better this season and Goldson for one has seriously improved over last season.

That and we can field to good CBs.

Goldson made some silly mistakes last season. Thosee can, and have been ironed out. Dealing with the kind of positional issues Katic had is more difficult. Not impossible, though.

I remember watching Katic closely  in a friendly at Ibrox. Forget who against. His knowledge of where to be at any given moment was bad throughout the game. Continually, and rightly, being screamed at by Goldson, for being wrongly positioned and ushered into the right one. It's something he's never managed to get right. And it costs him. 

You would hope that management have been working on his skills and game, as well as the hard work he has put into his physique and build. Hopefully he comes back a much improved defender and player and is a genuine shout to be 1st pick alongside Connor.

32 minutes ago, Inigo said:

We're so good defensively because we defend from the front, quite rare a team plays through us, but when it does you still get the occasional panic or poor decision making from Goldson, the gap isn't so large, its mostly about experience, people don't like Katic because he's a nice guy people like Katic cause he would heeder his own granny, his aggression and desire are superb, just needs to work on other aspects to become a top player, given his attitude don't think that's beyond him.

9 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

We're so good defensively because we defend from the front, quite rare a team plays through us, but when it does you still get the occasional panic or poor decision making from Goldson, the gap isn't so large, its mostly about experience, people don't like Katic because he's a nice guy people like Katic cause he would heeder his own granny, his aggression and desire are superb, just needs to work on other aspects to become a top player, given his attitude don't think that's beyond him.

As I say, that's part of it, but if you don't have two good CBs you'll lose more goals than we have.

Didn't say folk liked him because he's a nice guy. His attitude and application is exactly why folk like him, it's never been his issue. It's the other stuff. He's just not good enough based on what we've seen. Personally doubt he ever will be, but I hope he can be.

3 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I’ll get hammered for this no doubt but don’t really care because I think he’s class but I think POTENTIALLY Katic is our best centre back. 

You could easy be right but it’s 4 quality centre backs to argue about