The Steven Gerrard Thread

RockwellGers

I wanted him gone after the Tynecastle defeat and the way our arses collapsed in the league last season. If these were normal circumstances i.e. the league had been won at some point in the past 9 years and was its usual flip-flop self between us and the filth, he'd have been gone IMO. That's the nature of being the manager of Rangers.

That said, he has recovered incredibly from the pre-COVID period, signed some attacking class in guys like Roofe (and I think Itten is going to be a big player for us next season) and Hagi whilst developing Kamara / Tav to the next level and we are now seeing the benefits of what giving a young manager time (and money) can do. 

When we lift that title this year, he will have shoved humble pie down the throats of all who doubted him. 

Long may our success continue.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was an idol for me growing up.

Hated the fact we were appointing him initially, due to the size of the job at hand and his lack of experience. 

I believed he would be chased out the door Ally was, albeit less sympathy due to being one of our own.

Glad to be proven wrong.

From the first press conference he’s carried himself in the same vein as he was a player and captain, top class.

Guys made mistakes, just like every single manager who’s ever been given the role. However he’s repeatedly learned from his mistakes and adapted.

The man is destined for the top of management just like he reach the top as a player. He’s got it, with an exceptional back room to add to complete the whole package.

55 is upon us and I for one would like to thank Steven Gerrard.

Forever part of our history, forever red, white and blue.

Would just like to say I backed him from the start so get it right up yees, imo

I’m joking obviously, nitpicking over who was right or wrong is silly tbh, and in any case I’m always right and everyone else is always wrong, so it doesn’t matter

4 hours ago, psb07158 said:

I wanted him gone after the Tynecastle defeat and the way our arses collapsed in the league last season. If these were normal circumstances i.e. the league had been won at some point in the past 9 years and was its usual flip-flop self between us and the filth, he'd have been gone IMO. That's the nature of being the manager of Rangers.

That said, he has recovered incredibly from the pre-COVID period, signed some attacking class in guys like Roofe (and I think Itten is going to be a big player for us next season) and Hagi whilst developing Kamara / Tav to the next level and we are now seeing the benefits of what giving a young manager time (and money) can do. 

When we lift that title this year, he will have shoved humble pie down the throats of all who doubted him. 

Long may our success continue.

The shutdown was one of the best things that ever happened to the club. Things were only going to get worse until the end of the season and we could have been looking at a Summer of chaos.

never paid him much attention as a player but of course knew who he was. it was a risk appointing him as manager but it seems to be working out! after winning the title he'll probably want to stay and have a crack at the champions league. imagine if he got us playing in that like we are in the europa.

i know liverpool is his team and that's fine but when he holds that #55 trophy he will forever be a Rangers legend.

37 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The shutdown was one of the best things that ever happened to the club. Things were only going to get worse until the end of the season and we could have been looking at a Summer of chaos.

I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say Covid coming along and the league ending probably saved Gerrard being hounded out the club tbh.

An amazing turn around since last year and now.

We’re at the point with the majority laughing at the taigs and their Dubai disaster (rightfully so) that Gerrard and the players aren’t getting enough credit this year.

21 wins from 23, 2 draws, 0 defeats, 6 goals against.

Taigs have 2 defeats, both to us, 6 draws,  2 which came since the Dubai disaster.

The position we’re in at the top of the league is down to Gerrard and the squad of players. When the title is won I hope we can give them the credit they deserve first and foremost. We can laugh at the fenians the rest of the year.

This was one of the biggest and best deals we have made for many years, to bring this man to our club- a football legend all over the world.

I couldn't believe he was going to be our manager, as he could have went anywhere- but came to Glasgow with a mountain to climb.

We all know one day he will head back to Liverpool and manage his boyhood club, but in the mean time I hope he stays with us for many years and bring glory back to our club. 

He must of been under a lot of pressure to change his system, the balls in by Tav and Barisic was just not resulting in goals and teams were using the space left behind to capitalise but he had the confidence in himself to keep it going, tweaked it and now it’s paying dividends.

It’s his results in Europe that impress me most, it’s got me believing we could reach the league part of the champions league next season qualifying from the 3rd round. 

5 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Same with Morelos mate plenty slated him wanted him out ect then when he bangs in a couple of goal he’s a hero again. Pretty sure you’ve been as scathing in your criticism of Alfie as others have been with Gerrard. End of the day we all want Rangers to win football games and Alfredo to bang in goals, we’re all passionate about the Rangers. Who cares who was right or wrong.

Morelos was a 20m quid striker, that figure's gone. I appreciated his workrate but he lost his edge, he's worth nowhere near as much as a result. We've not changed our system yet against the sheep something changed with him- Gerrard said as much too. Hopefully it continues and his goals rocket along with value again . I've praised him to high heaven, but criticised too  - because I know how good he can be and what he's capable of. Those slating Gerrard tended to be far more one sided, the criticism far outweighing the positives that were there. That's the difference.

No one cares who was right or wrong because this league will be ours. But its funny some loudest about it now were the ones who shouted loudest he be sacked and even on the Steven Gerrard thread seem not to acknowledge how lucky we are they were talking shite when others fought to defend Gerrard. And that includes this season despite our incredible stats.

His name will be etched into Ibrox history once this team gets this title over the line . 

Some great European trips and memories in his time and some fantastic days out with old firm victories. Only thing missing is a trophy and the main one is on the Horizon . After that I have no doubts more will Follow 

52 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Morelos was a 20m quid striker, that figure's gone. I appreciated his workrate but he lost his edge, he's worth nowhere near as much as a result. We've not changed our system yet against the sheep something changed with him- Gerrard said as much too. Hopefully it continues and his goals rocket along with value again . I've praised him to high heaven, but criticised too  - because I know how good he can be and what he's capable of. Those slating Gerrard tended to be far more one sided, the criticism far outweighing the positives that were there. That's the difference.

No one cares who was right or wrong because this league will be ours. But its funny some loudest about it now were the ones who shouted loudest he be sacked and even on the Steven Gerrard thread seem not to acknowledge how lucky we are they were talking shite when others fought to defend Gerrard. And that includes this season despite our incredible stats.

So because people were critical of him in the past and rightly so imo, these folk can't enjoy the here and now? 

Is this what you're saying here? Because it sure looks like it. 

Archived