The Steven Gerrard Thread

RockwellGers

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Love the guy and he has turned us around completely. Will be immortalised forever in our history books when he lifts the title this season and stops their ten.

Here comes the negative part:

If it weren’t for Covid he wouldn’t be here anymore. Made a rip roaring cunt of last season and his record in cup games and games against the likes of Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts was quite frankly embarrassing. Thankfully he seems to have sorted the games against smaller teams in the league now though and I’m sure cup games will rectify themselves eventually.

All in all my feeling is, cheers Stevie, you’re a good guy.

My sentiments exactly. I wanted him gone. I thought he was gone after "that" post match interview. I thought he lacked a plan B and Covid 100% saved his job. I actually thought at the start of the season he was under less pressure because he was almost resigned to losing his job or being sacked which took some pressure off. Three seasons in and whilst we had seen dramatic progress in Europe and some minor progress in the league, it wasn't enough. Not many managers stand on our hallowed sideline 3 years without a trophy. Whilst I want him here now, I will still hold my tongue until we have lifted the trophy.

I do think myself and so many others were wrong in wanting the trigger pulled and if we win this season it shows how some trust and belief in a long term plan can work. The European progress and the elimination of fear playing in an old firm game all mean nothing without a trophy to show for it but if we pick up that big 55 this season then it will all equate to something and mean something. He has been backed more than anyone else with a smaller name would be and now is the time to deliver. He does that and I'll build the statue myself.

And the background staff deserve a lot of credit. Beale seems to be the brains and the way he has adapted by improving our defensive work and learning new ways to beat the block has been priceless.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He gets it tight but I think I started a thread after the Livingston game saying I didn’t think we would win anything with him at the helm.

Back then it did look as though it was the same old bottling job, even worse after the Hibs game. 

Forget the meltdown they've had, the way we've just charged on this season has been absolutely remarkable bar one massively disappointing game in Paisley. 

I don't believe he was ever in any danger of being sacked last season.

King, and the board at the time, knew it wasn't a 2 season project to turn the squad around.  He's done well overall with recruitment, a few duds aside, but you could aim that criticism at any manager.  Now, with a strong DOF and a playing philosophy that runs right through all of the football teams from women's to first XI, we'll actually be in a good place if and when Liverpool does come calling for him.

No Surrender Stevie G.

21 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

It's absolutely not the case, Pedro and Warburton made excuses all the time and accepted dropped points.

That's a million milesaway from press conferences 'taking on a new meaning'. It's the same platitudes and cliches as everyone before (and likely after). There's nothing Gerrard does in his pressers that's any different to what happens in pressers every single day.

I wouldnt go along with ' Covid saved his job ' . 

After the Pedro Caixinha era , this was always going to be a rebuild job with bumps along the way . We were so far away back then , that it was never going to be an overnight fix . 

Rangers , under Gerard , have improved year on year . Despite the set backs ,  he has closed the gap each season against rivals who have far greater resources at their disposal . 

Lets hope , recognising the additions of Roofe and Itten , to lessen the burden on Alfredo Morelos's shoulders , was the next , and final piece of the jigsaw . 

Just now, gmcf said:

I wouldnt go along with ' Covid saved his job ' . 

After the Pedro Caixinha era , this was always going to be a rebuild job with bumps along the way . We were so far away back then , that it was never going to be an overnight fix . 

Rangers , under Gerard , have improved year on year . Despite the set backs ,  he has closed the gap each season against rivals who have far greater resources at their disposal . 

Lets hope , recognising the additions of Roofe and Itten , to lessen the burden on Alfredo Morelos's shoulders , was the next , and final piece of the jigsaw . 

I don't think he would have been sacked but I think he may have walked if we continued to get bad results.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I don't think he would have been sacked but I think he may have walked if we continued to get bad results.

I'm not sure if he would - he doesn't come across as a quitter . 

I think he'll have looked upon this as a project spread over a few years and expected there would be some set backs as long as there had been visible year on year progress . 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

That's a million milesaway from press conferences 'taking on a new meaning'. It's the same platitudes and cliches as everyone before (and likely after). There's nothing Gerrard does in his pressers that's any different to what happens in pressers every single day.

Well maybe it's not the perfect phrase I used in the OP. I am meaning that personally the pressers have been more of an event to look forward to since Gerrard was here. Seen others on here saying that as well 

14 minutes ago, RockwellGers said:

Well maybe it's not the perfect phrase I used in the OP. I am meaning that personally the pressers have been more of an event to look forward to since Gerrard was here. Seen others on here saying that as well 

I remember we were all saying that about Warburton. There's no difference between what Gerrard does at his pressers to Brian Rice, Ian McCall, Lee Miller or Jack Ross. I've done a few of Gerrard's now and can honestly say I've never come away from any of them thinking it was anything different to what I've seen and heard a thousand times before.

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I remember we were all saying that about Warburton. There's no difference between what Gerrard does at his pressers to Brian Rice, Ian McCall, Lee Miller or Jack Ross. I've done a few of Gerrard's now and can honestly say I've never come away from any of them thinking it was anything different to what I've seen and heard a thousand times before.

Well it's a difference of opinion, it happens. Gerrard is better to listen to for me

What a job he has done as a rookie manager. Built a team with limited funds after we finished 3rd in the league and were getting thrashed by celtic.

Straight away got us competing at home and abroad playing good football. Within 3 years has totally transformed the club to make us by miles the best team in the country.

If he stays for a few years I think we can have a very successful period, he's one of the best young managers in Europe.

Archived